Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2018, 08:11 PM   #1

outside speaker not working

We have a 2017 Jayflight 32BHDS. During our last camping trip we realized one of our outdoor speakers was not working. Thankfully it is still under warranty, but any suggestions on a way to fix it before taking it back to the dealer?
tmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #2

Wall or awning speaker?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:37 PM   #3

Awning
tmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:44 PM   #4

The front awning speaker on our SLX212 works intermittently— I found a couple hard taps brought sound back. I’m guessing the wires or connection is loose. Haven’t taken it in for warranty fix yet.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
The front awning speaker on our SLX212 works intermittently— I found a couple hard taps brought sound back. I’m guessing the wires or connection is loose. Haven’t taken it in for warranty fix yet.
Have owned TT's for over 10 years and have never used our outdoor speakers except for one time when one of the grands was punching buttons on the radio and switched the speakers on by accident. Took me half an hour and had to get the instructions out to turn them off. When we camp I do not want to hear noise pollution from my neighbors and don't send them anything from my site.

Has always seemed to me to be something that the manufacturer could save on and spend the money to provide better components elsewhere.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #6

We switched to BLUE TOOTH portable speakers. The sound is great and we can move them around to suit our needs... Being portable you can place them at various places around your camp site and not have to turn them up much to hear them. Can throw one of small ILUV speakers in my shirt pock and walk around listening to it...

I too like to respect others camping close by... Not everyone likes good ole country music hehe...

Roy Ken
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #7

I have the same TT as you but my crappy outdoor speakers are mounted to the outside wall. Strange that they'd be different from yours.

At any rate I've had a couple of my indoor speakers work intermittently and found that the push-on connectors to the speakers were loose. You can try squeezing with some plyers or I just soldered them - if this is your problem.

I'm with Roy here and use a Bluetooth speaker for the outdoors.

Good luck!

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Have owned TT's for over 10 years and have never used our outdoor speakers except for one time when one of the grands was punching buttons on the radio and switched the speakers on by accident. Took me half an hour and had to get the instructions out to turn them off. When we camp I do not want to hear noise pollution from my neighbors and don't send them anything from my site.

Has always seemed to me to be something that the manufacturer could save on and spend the money to provide better components elsewhere.
Totally agree on the noise pollution, which is why we rarely use them — and haven’t bothered to get them repaired.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:35 PM   #9

The front outdoor speaker in the awning on my 2017 Jay Flight 23RB doesn't work either. Hasn't since I've had the trailer. I bought it new last June 2017. I doubt I will take it back for warranty repair. Don't like them anyway, they are in an awkward place, and subject to the wires being made loose by the continued opening and closing of the awning, nor do they sound good.

Like RoyBraddy above has done, when I need to have speakers outside, I'm probably going to get a pair of Blue Tooth capable speakers. And like RoyBraddy, I will be able to move them around outside and even use them inside instead of the interior speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclaren View Post
We have a 2017 Jayflight 32BHDS. During our last camping trip we realized one of our outdoor speakers was not working. Thankfully it is still under warranty, but any suggestions on a way to fix it before taking it back to the dealer?

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote