Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #1

Overhead lights

I have just replaced most of the 12V lights in my trailer to LED's. I have mostly the 921 light bulbs. The bulbs work in some of the fixtures, but not in others. I read somewhere that sometimes the fixtures are not wired up properly at the factory. Would this account for the bulbs not working? Next time we are out, I intend to take down one of the double fixtures and reversing the wiring hookups to see it that works. There is nothing wrong with my bulbs, they work fine in other locations around the trailer.

Soon to be: 2019 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS 5th Wheel
2018: 21 days Camping
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #2

Polarity doesn't matter for incandescent but it does for LEDs....to correct polarity for a 921 replacement , just rotate the connection 180 degress
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #3

I tried that first, they still don't work. I have noticed that the 921 has 2 wires, one on either side of the spade connector of the bulb for the LED, but if you take a close look at the 12V incandescent it replaces, the wires are 2 on each side of the spade insert. This is similar to the 194 led replacement bulb, with the spade insert which has 2 wires per side. Are these bulbs interchangeable in the light fixtures in the Jayco? I had a trailer before the Jayco, and never encountered this problem.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #4

See attached photo - I noticed the condition (pictured) when I received my 48 SMD Flat Panel LEDs (LED socket adapter connection leads on reverse sides of the spade) ..I checked my sockets and I have (2) contacts per -/+ so it wasn't an issue for me . If your socket only has (1) contact per -/+.....that would be a problem. I suggest checking all your fixtures for polarity with a voltmeter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Leads.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	8212
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #5

See attached photo - I noticed the condition (pictured) when I received my 48 SMD Flat Panel LEDs (LED socket adapter connection leads on reverse sides of the spade) ..I checked my sockets and I have (2) contacts per -/+ so it wasn't an issue for me . If your socket only has (1) contact per -/+.....that would be a problem. I suggest checking all your fixtures for polarity with a voltmeter.

Attachment 8212
Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #6

hmmmmmm.....dejavu
Old 05-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #7

Mine looks just like your 48 SMD Flat Panel LEDs , and I do have some like that in a 36 panel that work fine in all the fixtures. The ones that don't work are about 1 1/4" long and 1/2" wide about as thick as a finger. They have 13 led lights on them and don't trail the long plug in cord as the flat panel ones do. I have 6 pair, and only 1 pair work in one of the light fixtures. The other 2 pair I want to put into a single light fixture over the chairs in the rear of the trailer and over the bed in the upper 5th wheel bedroom. The 36 flat panel lights work fine in both fixtures, but the round ones don't picture on ebay similar to this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HQRP-T10-Wed...51035735017%26

I have extra flat panel led lights, but the adhesive that holds them to the fixture doesn't adhere to the fixture and after being on for a few minutes drop onto the clear lens. I have tried industrial strength Velcro that sticks up with the same problems with the adhesive failing. The finger length leds would fit in without the Velcro and the trailing wire.

Looks like I will have to dig out the voltmeter.