Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #1

P u!!!!

Lately, we have been getting a good "whiff" of either the grey or black tank inside the trailer. Sometimes it occurs when flushing the black tank, sometimes not. Sometimes it occurs when dumping the grey tanks, sometimes not. Sometimes it happens when someone is simply doing dishes or taking a shower with the grey tank valves open. We have found that the smells are coming from the air intake grate for the furnace. To further isolate, I pulled the access panel under our shower as well as the access panel for the water pump/WH and sure enough, that is where the smell is coming from. So it must be permiating up thru the holes in the subfloor where the plumbing/wiring passes thru into the basement.

So my conclusion is I have a leak in my waste plumbing somewhere in the basement that's enough to create the smell without being enough to leak out of the underbelly somewhere. So although I can, and will spray foam those openings shut, I also need to find where the water is leaking from underneath to completely mitigate the issue from becoming a larger problem down the road.

I am going to contact Jayco to see about getting a plumbing diagram for underneath, but was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions on how to try and isolate/locate the leak without having to drop/open up the entire underbelly membrane.

TIA
Old 02-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Don't think you have much of a choice to open up the underbelly to get access to the plumbing to check for leaks from the Black-Tank plumbing. It isn't a big deal to move the underbelly just time consuming. Good luck with finding the problem.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Don't think you have much of a choice to open up the underbelly to get access to the plumbing to check for leaks from the Black-Tank plumbing. It isn't a big deal to move the underbelly just time consuming. Good luck with finding the problem.

Just a thought: without an obvious liquid leak, it may be coming from one of the various “V’s” (vents) in the DWV system. I had a smell in a previous RV that I finally found was coming from a defective in-line vent under my kitchen sink. Replaced it and smell disappeared.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwegeman View Post
Just a thought: without an obvious liquid leak, it may be coming from one of the various “V’s” (vents) in the DWV system. I had a smell in a previous RV that I finally found was coming from a defective in-line vent under my kitchen sink. Replaced it and smell disappeared.
That would be the first place I'd look.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #5

Yes I believe it's called an Air Admittance valve. Ours is located under our bathroom sink. Removing the chloroplast under belly on our unit would be a royal PITA. Too many things protruding like propane lines, plumbing outlets etc all sealed with the expanding foam around them. When I had to replace the black tank valve on our unit I cut a 24'' slit and when I was done I sealed it up with a piece of 3/4''by 3''by 22'' piece of wood with stainless steel screws. Placed the wood inside the slit so it would accept both edges of the chloroplast, screwed in one side, then screwed in an eyelet so I could hold down the side I just screwed in then screwed in the other side. Can hardly tell it's there other than the screws.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwegeman View Post
X3
Same thing happened to us. Air vent under sink was clogged and not venting. Put in a new one and no more smell.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #7

I will have to check that when the smells reappear. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
Site Team

Look at the valve, they can be purchased at Lowes. They are easy to clean, it does not take much to hold it open.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #9

Well, it wasn't the AAV's. Replaced both and still same thing. So re-opened a section of the underbelly and can see the area where the plumbing underneath is leaking. Doesn't look pretty. Call into Jayco to see what can be done.
Attached Thumbnails
plumbing leaks.jpg   water drippings.jpg  
Old 02-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #10

I think Eternabond has a product that will work on something like a bad or cracked fitting.