Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2017, 06:16 AM   #1

Petty big "oops" - Insurance or checkbook?

First big newbie mistake last night. We got our 2017 29RKS in August. We have used it 3 times. Yesterday I loaded up as if going camping and headed to the CAT scales to learn about about my weights (an adventure I highly recommend to every Travel trailer owner). So last evening, returning the camper to the storage yard, I failed to swing wide enough, and the rear awning bracket (idler end) hit the yellow post beside the entrance gate. It ripped the awning frame away from the side of the trailer and broke it in half. It broke the mounting bracket at the top. The bracket swung backwards and hit the side of the trailer causing a dent and scrape.. but no puncture. I'll climb up there today to see if I can tell if the awning roller itself is damaged. My questions are these.
1. I have no idea what replacing the one end of the awning frame will cost, if that is even an option, and don't know if I should replace/repair the siding, or just live with the reminder of my stupidity... so is it worth making an insurance claim or should I just pay out of pocket.
2. I can't drive down the road as is. Do I just remove the one end, and try to secure the awning to the trailer for the one hour drive to the dealer... or do I remove the whole awning. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but looking for confirmation).
3. Do I do anything before an insurance adjuster comes to look at it, if we go that route? (By the way... we are supposed to leave Wednesday to camp for the Thanksgiving weekend (and wouldn't you know it... it's supposed to rain!)

Thanks for answers.. and I'm not easily offended for anyone who wants to rub it in!
Moseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:14 AM   #2

Stuff happens. Anyway, I would take pictures and run those by your dealer on Monday to get their opinion on what they would do to make repair in a case like yours. And if you are looking at having to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars out of pocket. Then discuss with your agent on Monday questions on if to turn it in or not. Alot depends on the deductible in your insurance policy. If you go with an insurance claim I don't think you will see an adjuster this week due to the holiday. If anything, the rain is another factor on taking that trip. No fun camping in the rain. Good luck. I really feel your pain.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #3

Hubby did almost the identical thing. He now requires “adult supervision” to get into or out of the area where we park our Melbourne. There are 2 different curves and eaves he must avoid. So I provide the adult supervision for him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
pamanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamanc View Post
Hubby did almost the identical thing. He now requires “adult supervision” to get into or out of the area where we park our Melbourne. There are 2 different curves and eaves he must avoid. So I provide the adult supervision for him!

When we picked up the TT from the dealer, we took it straight to the storage facility in small rural town where we keep our boat and had kept the popup. We had planned to put the TT in a covered barn and my wife was going to provide the "adult supervision."

The end result was that there wasn't enough room to maneuver the trailer and the spot wasn't going to be big enough anyway. But in the 15 or minutes it took us to figure this out, the "adult supervisor" provided considerable "supervision."

Now the guy that owns the facility is a prince of a guy and happened to be about 100 yards away fishing in a farm pond with a couple of his grandchildren, who may have learned a few new words. He got a pretty good chuckle out of the whole episode. "We were wondering what was going on over there."

I'm sure he had a great story to tell the next day at the coffee shop, and now the wife is totally embarrassed and crosses her fingers that Randy won't be around when we pick up and return the boat.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #5

Good story!

pamanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamanc View Post

I really hate when we do things that confirm our need for supervision from our better half.[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #7

The smart ones figure it out before it becomes obvious.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #8

Those of us who are humble enough to admit...we've been there. I know I am answering "late," but I don't see an update. If you haven't moved the TT I would consider strapping the awning in place rather than disassemble the entire unit. Another option would be to send a photo to the dealer (or call the manufacturer) to see if you can get the replacement piece. In regard to the siding, talk with the DW. If it bothers both of you it can be repaired at a boat yard or some other fiberglass repair company. I just painted my damaged area and called it a day. I figured that if in a few years I didn't hit anything else I might repair it.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote