Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2017, 06:45 AM   #1

Plywood on roof coming up

This looks like it will be a nightmare. Itís under warranty it who knows what kind of repair they will do. You can see it lifting up over the door.
Attached Thumbnails
A4B66161-A28A-4072-8CE7-533611296D6A.jpg  

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #2

Take it in and see what they say. That surprises me, as Jayco says they screw down the roof decking. I don't see anyway to fix this without pulling the rubber membrane and screwing the decking back down. I would prefer this type of repair done at the manufacturer though. Not sure where you are, but we are nearing the end of the camping season in the northern US... maybe the timing will work out for you to have it sent back.

Good luck, keep us updated please!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #3

Our 2014 Octane did that where the seam was. It was not covered since it was 2 1/2 years old. It was just at the edges about 6 " in from the sides, both sides. Removed gutter, peeled back roof about 2', Cut about 1/4 " plywood from seam, screwed deck down (had screws, they pulled through the plywood), used spray adhesive on roof, reinstalled gutter with new butyl caulk tape, and have over 25k miles since repair without any move problems. No one can tell it was ever worked on. This was the repair method our dealer said they would do, I didn't want to wait so I did it in about 3 hours on a nice day.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:54 PM   #4

I think if you go back and read their verbiage, they say it's screwed down at the cross seams, and not along the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Take it in and see what they say. That surprises me, as Jayco says they screw down the roof decking. I don't see anyway to fix this without pulling the rubber membrane and screwing the decking back down. I would prefer this type of repair done at the manufacturer though. Not sure where you are, but we are nearing the end of the camping season in the northern US... maybe the timing will work out for you to have it sent back.

Good luck, keep us updated please!

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 07:07 PM   #5

Best Repair Method

Kind of a related question for my roof issue. What would be the best repair method for what appears to be the corner roof decking lifting at the edge right on what looks to be the seam over the half the truss. I know the attached picture doesn't show much. I can push the raised corner down a bit, as it looks slightly higher than the left side.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2544.jpg  

"If everyday is a break-even day, I'm good with that"
2020 JayFlight SLX 287 BHS, UVW 6,180 lbs
2015 RAM 1500, 8spd, 4x4, 5.7L, TowPak, 3.21 ratio, Fastway e2 2-Point Sway, AirLift 1000, GCWR 13,800lbs
1998 Coleman Redwood Pop-up (sold2020)
2000 Ford F-150 SuperCab (sold2018)
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 07:13 PM   #6

I personally wouldn't mess with it unless it becomes worse. If it starts to penetrate the TPO roof material then you could make a slit. Then use some screws to re attach it and cover the slit with Eternabond.
Old 06-10-2024, 09:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDug66 View Post
Kind of a related question for my roof issue. What would be the best repair method for what appears to be the corner roof decking lifting at the edge right on what looks to be the seam over the half the truss. I know the attached picture doesn't show much. I can push the raised corner down a bit, as it looks slightly higher than the left side.
Our 2021 Jay Flight did this for about 8' on the driver's side and 3' on the passenger side. We screwed it down and sealed it up. It's stayed tight for over a year now. Our work is a whole lot better than Jayco's. It will hold better than the rest of the roof that they put together.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 04:42 AM   #8

Ripples in the roof membrane along the junction of the skins under the membrane is typical on so many new rvs. One of the first things that I have done upon looking at new travel trailers is to crawl up on the back ladder, which is a declining feature but a must for us that all manufacturers have installed to inspect the roof. There are videos and conversations all over the web . This is one of the discussions and one of the reasons I still own the somewhat limited and older one for fear that I will end up with a problem shortly down the road.
https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ng-has-bubbles

https://gdrvowners.com/filedata/fetch?photoid=116624

I will say that with truss style roof structures the dead space generated in the area is northing more than a greenhouse, which causes wood to expand with temperature changes. At the edges there is a smaller thickness under the roof wooden skiff under the membrane that reduces the area that the dampness and heat buildup is allowed to change over the course of a day.
Old 06-17-2024, 10:17 PM   #9

I had an issue with the plywood on my 2017 Whitehawk. Jayco repaired it under warranty. Interesting that my issue was in almost the exact same place.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote