Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #1

Poor water heater bypass valve placement

As I was setting up camp for the first time, I crawled in behind the water heater to switch the bypass, prime the W/H and fire it up. I noticed that the (outlet?) valve was installed almost flush with the floor. When I opened it, it raised the pipes, putting tension on the setup and digging into the vinyl floor. I didn't see anyway to avoid this. Is this standard set up? Anyone else dealt with this? I'm thinking of possibly fabricating to get the valve up a bit higher.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
As I was setting up camp for the first time, I crawled in behind the water heater to switch the bypass, prime the W/H and fire it up. I noticed that the (outlet?) valve was installed almost flush with the floor. When I opened it, it raised the pipes, putting tension on the setup and digging into the vinyl floor. I didn't see anyway to avoid this. Is this standard set up? Anyone else dealt with this? I'm thinking of possibly fabricating to get the valve up a bit higher.
Is it fairly accessable? I'm assuming, as everything I'm seeing, is 1/2" pex. I've replaced and added several valves. If you don't have the crimp tool look at sharkbite fittings. I'm using quarter turn brass ball valves.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #3

I'd have to take the housing apart to get at where it connects to the W/H. I'll have to take a pic. Just seems that who ever put it in should of went "that seems a bit tight. Let me move that."
Old 06-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #4

the valve "Dug" into the vinyl floor?

I wouldn't worry about damaging the floor. Its in a cabinet, right?

The work needed to get in there and reconfigure the valves could be spent on other projects. Shark bite fittings are easy, no doubt. I have used them myself. But why try to "fix" something that isn't broken? Given enough messing around with trying to reposition valves, you're likely to actually create a problem.

I'm sure you can find something that really is screwed up, not just an issue that makes you a little uneasy.

Close the door to the WH and have fun camping.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:59 PM   #5

Take it back to dealer and have them fix it.. I believe you have 90days for defects to get fixed.. I am sure you will find more as you camping and packing up from your trip..
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote