Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2015, 08:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
Could have been worse... ya could have been in bear country! :-)
...or in the country, bare!

Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 AM   #12

Under the "No good deed goes unpunished" category.

We arrived at our campsite and attempted to deploy the bed ends. Only 3 bed supports!! Where the h*ll... oops. I took one into the garage to verify the EMT tubing fabrication. Guess where it still sits?

I can say for certain now that 1/2" EMT tubing from Lowes, a hammer, and Channelocks will allow you to copy a bed support for your pop-up or hybrid camper. About 2 bucks for the tubing.

vic

VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #13

Ouch, I know your feelings, kinda. My brother and SIL, had the same issue with their PU, a few years ago, on the front, I think king size bed. My dad and I fixed it. my brother, as good of a guy as he is, could not tell you show you what a tool is. As I recall we had it fixed up in a single weekend, along with a number of other issues. Luckily the canvas was not damaged. I also do not recall buy much in the line of parts.

My guess from looking at the pictures. The support bar was dinged/dented at some point near where it failed.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
Under the "No good deed goes unpunished" category.
We arrived at our campsite and attempted to deploy the bed ends. Only 3 bed supports!! Where the h*ll... oops. I took one into the garage to verify the EMT tubing fabrication. Guess where it still sits?
I can say for certain now that 1/2" EMT tubing from Lowes, a hammer, and Channelocks will allow you to copy a bed support for your pop-up or hybrid camper. About 2 bucks for the tubing.
vic
Good MacGyver!

Co-incidentally, I forgot to install the clips that secure the WDH latches on the tongue this past weekend. Two 1/4" chain repair links $1.49 each, channelocks, hammer (broke during the process) with the WDH shank as an anvil...

Found one of the originals after we got back.

I love doing field repairs, don't you?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #15

Whenever I think that I'm under control, something happens to remind me what a delusion I am living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Good MacGyver!

Co-incidentally, I forgot to install the clips that secure the WDH latches on the tongue this past weekend. Two 1/4" chain repair links $1.49 each, channelocks, hammer (broke during the process) with the WDH shank as an anvil...

Found one of the originals after we got back.

I love doing field repairs, don't you?

That sounds like a good emergency repair for your parts. I used a large pair of Channelocks as an anvil for beating the EMT into submission.

I planned to pack a flip down shelf to adapt as a TV shelf in my 23b. It wasn't on any of my many lists so of course I forgot it. I used some parts from my van stock to rig up a hanger for our 22" wide TV.

The nylon cord goes thru some loops made from picture hanging wire. I always have some of that on hand. To make the loop secure I placed an overhand knot in the wire before I finished with a twist. A simple twist without the knot can sometimes unwind.

I did need to add an extra string down from the door frame drywall screw to keep the TV from sliding off level.

Click image for larger version

Name:	23bTV01.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	20380

Name:	23bTV02.jpg
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	20381

Name:	23bTV03.jpg
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	20382

It's working well enough that I plan to make it permanent. It even provides a bit of down facing angle to make better viewing.

My vision for the permanent install is use light cable with Nicropress loops. I'll use some hooks on the back of the TV for hanging, or possibly some flat sheetmetal formed into a hooked plate.

Obviously we won't travel with the TV hung, but we wouldn't do that with a shelf either.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #16

You beat an Emergency Medical Technician into submission?!?!

I always considered them kinda nice.

----------

Yeah, that setup for the television is great for viewing, but won't do well over potholes.

And proud of it!
Old 10-02-2015, 01:28 PM   #17

Did you check the bracket clip that it locks into on the bottom? When I bought my camper (a 2004 Jayco Feather) in 2011, one of the bolts had broken on one of the two clamps. I replaced the bolt, but if it was loose or broke, then you'd essentially have lost half of your support and I could see the remaining bar instantly bending under the pressure.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
Did you check the bracket clip that it locks into on the bottom? When I bought my camper (a 2004 Jayco Feather) in 2011, one of the bolts had broken on one of the two clamps. I replaced the bolt, but if it was loose or broke, then you'd essentially have lost half of your support and I could see the remaining bar instantly bending under the pressure.
I installed the WDH myself. After an "uncomfortable" outing with a regular hitch. The clamps, chains and ball were brand-new. The bulk of the hitch was an auction 'win' because I was the only one to bid on it.

Yes, 1/2 the support went away when the clamp opened (tight turn heading to the gas pump and again when maneuvering into the campsite). But at foot-on-the-brake speeds, loosing that support was not all that noticeable.

I will say that I should upgrade the bars since I am running a 4 links under tension and the front end is still up about 1/2". That's a spring 2016 purchase if we still use the Taco. My F350 has been getting "interesting" of late...

And proud of it!