Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2022, 03:44 PM   #1

Possible Holding Tank Issues

Hi all,
I am looking at a 2020 Jayflight SLX 154BH with the Baja package. I haven't signed the papers yet (scheduled Tuesday) but would like your opinions on what's going on under the trailer. I went over to the dealer today and took some photos because it was really bugging me.

So to my untrained eye, it looks like the tanks have dropped and are being supported by the coroplast. Or, water got into the area above the coroplast and weighed it down. The close-up photo by the axle where you can see the dump pipe and the split in the coroplast is why I think the tanks have dropped. Also, the one where the linoleum appears to be split with the weight of the pipe.

Maybe this isn't a big deal but thought I would ask.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Laura
Attached Thumbnails
Photo 2.jpeg   Photo 4.jpeg   Photo 5.jpeg   Photo 1.jpeg   Photo 3.jpg  

GoCougs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:43 PM   #2

Tanks do sag/bow as normal. But I would check this.

Photo 5.jpg looks sagged and shows the plastic undercover pulled away from the frame. This could just be normal sloppy install. But I would pull that plastic away and take a peak inside. Slip a camera up in there if you cant get a visual. Or could cut a small hole in the sagging plastic and see if water runs out.

Poke around at that linoleum split area and see if soft.

I would check this unit out before purchase. If water is in the underbelly, thats probably a tank/vent disconnect leak, that needs to be fixed.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
Tanks do sag/bow as normal. But I would check this.

Photo 5.jpg looks sagged and shows the plastic undercover pulled away from the frame. This could just be normal sloppy install. But I would pull that plastic away and take a peak inside. Slip a camera up in there if you cant get a visual. Or could cut a small hole in the sagging plastic and see if water runs out.

Poke around at that linoleum split area and see if soft.

I would check this unit out before purchase. If water is in the underbelly, thats probably a tank/vent disconnect leak, that needs to be fixed.
Thank you for your response. The floor with the linoleum split is solid. I couldn't get my phone inside the opening to get a good photo that shows what's going on under the coroplast. I told the salesman I was concerned about it when I initially looked at it so it won't be a surprise when I ask that the service department evaluates this prior to signing. He was actually surprised when I got down on the ground to inspect the underside.

Everything else with the trailer looks great. No apparent water damage around any of the windows or anywhere else in the interior. I ran my hand over pretty much every inch of the walls feeling for bubbles and found none.

Thank you again,
Laura
Old 05-22-2022, 05:04 PM   #4

Is it new or used? If used there is no warranty.

Regardless, I would NOT buy it in its present condition! It needs a thorough inspection by a 3rd party, or they need to remove all of the Coroplast to expose the tanks and plumbing.

Don't let a fast talking salesperson talk you into signing anything. Once you drive it off their lot it becomes YOUR problem.

Keep us posted.....
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:34 PM   #5

A few screws that hold that plastic undercover in place can be removed, and then it can be pulled down further to get a good look. It takes minutes to do. I would ask them to do that in your presence. If no, then you could do it yourself.

I would want to make sure no water in there. You could also see the condition of the tank metal bands that hold up the tank. Plus its nice to know what the underbelly looks like in general, just to make sure.

Hopefully all is ok, but its good piece of mind to know beforehand.
Old 05-22-2022, 05:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Is it new or used? If used there is no warranty.

Regardless, I would NOT buy it in its present condition! It needs a thorough inspection by a 3rd party, or they need to remove all of the Coroplast to expose the tanks and plumbing.

Don't let a fast talking salesperson talk you into signing anything. Once you drive it off their lot it becomes YOUR problem.

Keep us posted.....
It is used. I was thinking of telling them I want the Coroplast removed so it can be evaluated and any repairs made to my satisfaction prior to purchase. Not sure if the Coroplast needs to be replaced or if I could just have it open afterwards. The research I did was 50/50 on that.

The salesman knows I know a few things about travel trailers, so has stopped trying to baffle me with BS LOL He knows this sale may not go through unless I am completely satisfied with the unit.

I really like the trailer and it is exactly what I am looking for but not if it's going to be a money pit.

Thanks,
Laura
Old 05-22-2022, 05:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
A few screws that hold that plastic undercover in place can be removed, and then it can be pulled down further to get a good look. It takes minutes to do. I would ask them to do that in your presence. If no, then you could do it yourself.

I would want to make sure no water in there. You could also see the condition of the tank metal bands that hold up the tank. Plus its nice to know what the underbelly looks like in general, just to make sure.

Hopefully all is ok, but its good piece of mind to know beforehand.
Exactly. Water can get in there now since the sides of the Coroplast are not flush or sealed at the edges. This is Oregon after all. Critters can get in there as well and I live kind of in the country outside Salem so I want the underbelly either completely enclosed or the Coroplast removed so I can get under there and spray foam all the nooks and crannies so nothing can get in.

Thank you,
Laura
Old 05-22-2022, 05:53 PM   #8

If it looks questionable, it probably is. 2020 was a bad year for RVs, so personally I wouldn't buy one even if it looked OK.

Even if the dealer agreed to fix a problem, there are so few dealers that are capable of doing a good job.

Sorry to be negative, but there are just so many horror stories today.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:56 PM   #9

Suggestion....ask them to fill EVERY holding tank then let it sit for a few hours and check for leaks or puddles. That will also insure the dump valves work and aren't leaking. Plumbing issues in any RV can be a messy and expensive problem.

Don't make any quick decisions based on "I really like it" emotions, or promises made by the dealer that aren't in writing. Keep both eyes open, and trust no one....good luck.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCougs View Post
Not sure if the Coroplast needs to be replaced or if I could just have it open afterwards
It should not need to be replaced. You just remove some screws, carefully pull it down, inspect, then screw it back into place. And it doesnt have to be completely remove for inspection; just a section/area to get a good look.

EDIT. OK now I get what you are saying. Its best to leave it in place (not remove and leave removed).

We may be making more of this than needs to be. I would remove a bit of plastic underbelly, inspect, re-install plastic; and be done.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:16 PM   #11
Site Team

snip..." Also, the one where the linoleum appears to be split with the weight of the pipe."

Under out bathtub the linoleum was sliced in that cross-pattern, and the floor has a slight depression to make room for the bath drain P trap. Never was concerned about it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
snip..." Also, the one where the linoleum appears to be split with the weight of the pipe."

Under out bathtub the linoleum was sliced in that cross-pattern, and the floor has a slight depression to make room for the bath drain P trap. Never was concerned about it.
Thank you. I thought the slices in the linoleum were a little too precise for something that wasn't intentional.

I found another 154BH Baja for sale near me but with the side a/c which I don't want. I'm going to go over there tomorrow and look under it and see what the underbelly looks like. If it looks like I think it should look, I'll take some photos and show it to my dealer. If they dismiss me, I'll walk. Like I said, I haven't signed anything yet.

Laura
Old 05-22-2022, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:

Don't make any quick decisions based on "I really like it" emotions, or promises made by the dealer that aren't in writing. Keep both eyes open, and trust no one....good luck.
Oh I won't. That's why I posted here. I hadn't seen anything like that before and I knew I would get wise counsel from everyone and folks would be honest with me. We all know the dealer won't LOL

Laura
Old 05-22-2022, 06:57 PM   #14
Site Team

I'll mention that our TT doesn't have the coroplast underneath. Everything is exposed and visible, once I get my achy old body under it...

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:26 PM   #15

I went over to the lot that has the other 154. I had to crawl over the gate and kept waiting for a big dog to come out of nowhere and attack but that didn't happen.

This is a 2021 and the only difference is the dump pipe isn't protruding out of the Coroplast like the other unit. Maybe there is just a broken support for the dump pipe and it is an easy fix.

I will have them open it up enough for me to inspect prior to signing anything but I do feel a little better about it after seeing the other unit.

Laura
Attached Thumbnails
Photo 6.jpeg  
Old 05-25-2022, 07:38 AM   #16

Laura...please comeback and tell us what happened!!

Old 05-25-2022, 10:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Laura...please comeback and tell us what happened!!
I go in tomorrow and I promise I'll be back after that with an update.

Laura
Old 05-25-2022, 11:25 AM   #18

The cut in the linoleum is normal. due to the size of the P-Trap, Jayco cuts out a piece of the floor under it. This allows the shower to be a bit lower, and allows for maintenance of the P-Trap.

As for the sagging of the coroplast under the tanks. The tanks are thin and wide, so they do sag. I would bet the previous owners towed with full tanks, or used the TT alot and the tanks had a lot of weight in them.

Nothing wrong with asking checking questions. If they are not willing to open the coroplast, play the walking game. Tell them you want a really good discount as you are concerned about near future costs. If they wont budge enough get up and start walking out. Often the desire for a sale will tromp the price.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:10 AM   #19

I went in and was able to inspect under the Coroplast. Everything looked okay so signed the papers. I go in this afternoon to pick it up. I have some sealing to do with the gaps on the edges so water and critters don't get in.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and opinions. i knew this group would be a great help!

Laura
Old 05-28-2022, 12:24 PM   #20

The black tank in mine did fall out of the brackets and it looked the same as your pics. It sure made a mess when it did. The brackets holding the tank are just bent aluminum and if the tank is heavy they bend and the tank drops out. I removed the coroplast, cleaned up the mess, re-bent the brackets and rehung the tank. I made sure to seal where the main pipe came loose. I also added a couple of hanger straps across the tank to make sure it doesn't happen again. So far, so good.

Sorry I don't have pictures but you really don't want to see them anyway. [emoji1785][emoji1785]

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote