Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #1

Potable Water Tank Electrical Schematic

Just wondering if anybody knows how I can get my hands on a wiring schematic for the potable water tank connections? I have a 2014 Jayco 248RBS, and while winterizing, I noticed that my level indicators for my tanks are not reading.

I crawled under the camper and found that I had run over some trash in the road, and I now have a white wire hanging down by the fresh water tank...I searched for over an hour and can't see where it came lose from or what it should connect too.

I checked the manual section on the forum, but I did not find a schematic there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
dwdlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:25 AM   #2

Generally speaking white wires are ground for the 12VDC systems.

IF the two issues are related, you'll find an empty ground lug or bottom most connector on the fresh water tank.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Generally speaking white wires are ground for the 12VDC systems.

IF the two issues are related, you'll find an empty ground lug or bottom most connector on the fresh water tank.
Thanks. I did figure it to be a ground wire, but was thinking it should be connected directly to the frame. I'll look tonight for the empty lug as you suggested. Thanks again!
Old 11-11-2015, 08:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdlt View Post
Thanks. I did figure it to be a ground wire, but was thinking it should be connected directly to the frame. I'll look tonight for the empty lug as you suggested. Thanks again!
No problem.

All misinformation is freely given.

And proud of it!
Old 11-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #5

I ran into another issue this weekend while pulling the battery for the winter that I think may be related to the lose wire mention above......

As I mentioned earlier, I attached the lose white wire directly to the frame of the camper. While we had the camper at the house, if you touch the siding just right, we would get a slight tingle or shock....I had thought that this was because I attached that wire directly to the frame.....

This weekend, I went to pull the battery, and I found that it had boiled over, and the battery box was full of battery acid I guess.....

So, the question to the group: Did I cause this to happen (getting shocked and the battery boil) by attaching that white wire mentioned above directly to the frame, or do I have another problem????
Old 11-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
I ran into another issue this weekend while pulling the battery for the winter that I think may be related to the lose wire mention above......

As I mentioned earlier, I attached the lose white wire directly to the frame of the camper. While we had the camper at the house, if you touch the siding just right, we would get a slight tingle or shock....I had thought that this was because I attached that wire directly to the frame.....

This weekend, I went to pull the battery, and I found that it had boiled over, and the battery cox was full of battery acid I guess.....

So, the question to the group: Did I cause this to happen (getting shocked and the battery boil) by attaching that white wire mentioned above directly to the frame, or do I have another problem????
First off YOU HAVE A MAJOR 120VAC problem! Most likely reversed neutral and ground. YOU SHOULD NEVER FEEL ANY ELECTRICTY when touching an RV!!!
Track that down and fix it IMMIDIATLY!

Then we'll look into the assorted 12VDC issues you are having.

And proud of it!
Old 11-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #7

Quote:
First off YOU HAVE A MAJOR 120VAC problem! Most likely reversed neutral and ground. YOU SHOULD NEVER FEEL ANY ELECTRICTY when touching an RV!!!

I'd say that Mike is correct - it's a 120V AC problem, but I would guess a short to ground. That could cause your converter/charger to work improperly, causing the battery boil-over. But I am not an electrical system expert. Maybe someone here can confirm this.

During the road hazard damage you described, perhaps a 120V line got damaged and you have a short to ground.

But get this looked at immediately!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Just wondering if anybody knows how I can get my hands on a wiring schematic for the potable water tank connections? I have a 2014 Jayco 248RBS, and while winterizing, I noticed that my level indicators for my tanks are not reading.

I crawled under the camper and found that I had run over some trash in the road, and I now have a white wire hanging down by the fresh water tank...I searched for over an hour and can't see where it came lose from or what it should connect too.

I checked the manual section on the forum, but I did not find a schematic there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Contact Jayco with your year model and vin number and ask if you can get a copy of the monitor panel That should show the wiring for the tanks
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #9

Quote:

Absolutely. I have disconnected the battery and have no power to the camper right now.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
I'd say that Mike is correct - it's a 120V AC problem, but I would guess a short to ground. That could cause your converter/charger to work improperly, causing the battery boil-over. But I am not an electrical system expert. Maybe someone here can confirm this.

During the road hazard damage you described, perhaps a 120V line got damaged and you have a short to ground.

But get this looked at immediately!
Yep, that's exactly what I'm thinking as well. I don't have any power to the camper right now. So, I'm going to start from where the trash in the road hit the belly of the camper and trace wiring....If I don't see something obvious, I'll take it into the dealership.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
Contact Jayco with your year model and vin number and ask if you can get a copy of the monitor panel That should show the wiring for the tanks
Thanks. I'll call them today....
Old 11-21-2015, 06:36 PM   #12

Update: I dropped the camper off at the dealership to have the electrical issue fixed under the warranty...As it turns out, there was a power wire that had been grazed by as screw or something, and it was shorting out. I haven't picked it back up yet, but dealership claims all is good now...I anxious to see exactly where the short occurred and what "screw" was breaking the integrity of the wiring harness.