Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #1

power transformer fault??

hello I am new to this forum and have a small problem straight up on my 2007 model 18.57 jayco offroad expanda I had my 1kva generator running and van was running on 240 I went to run the microwave 900w and found the gen would overload I thought it was maybe the battrey charger taking up power so I pulled the 30amp fuse out of the transformer but still the gen was overload so I put the fuse back in but am now stuck with the fault like it stays on so no 12v I checked the battery fuse and the transformer fuse everything seems fine but the transformer wont click onto 12v any suggestions is there a reset?? I am dredding to thinking it needs replacing because I removed the fuse for a few seconds and it was perfect before and the gen is an invertor.
thankyou
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #2

Aussies1129.... due to your Expanda being built in some cases with different materials then Jayco's built in N America, some techy stuff that you may have questions about may not get answered here. While waiting for members to offer suggestions for you, try contacting the Australian Jayco directly. Good luck
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #3

aussies1129 - Robert Ryan Sales rep from Australia is online on the RV.NET forum all the time. He might have some things for you look up...

The whole electric scheme between the austrailia trailers and the american trailers are really different.

Also I doubt a 1000Watt generator will run a 900W microwave load. I doubt if the run wattage is more than 850WATTS.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 AM   #4

G

Roy your spot on it won't run it just over loads I have taken a closer look at
The transformer to see if there's anything loose but it all seems ok
It just won't click over to 12v anymore ?????
Cheers
Old 04-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #5

Not ever seen your setup I would think the TRANSFORMER is only a step UP unit to get the US 120VAC up to the Aussie 240VAC for your trailer needs. Not sure what that would have to do with switching in your 12VDC items...

Your 12VDC is generated by both the on-board converter/charger and/or your battery setup. In your case the converter/charger unit operates from 240VAC.

The whole thing should look something like simplified block diagram except all of the appliances are 240V verses 120V as shown. The 120V to 240V transformer will be inserted at the very beginning where the SURGE PROTECTION is installed.???

If the transformer is working normal you should be able to read 240VAC at all your outlets. The 240VAC must also be present feeding the converter/charger unit before it will develop your 12VDC. As you can see both the converter/charger unit and the on-batteries feed the 12VDC Power Distribution Panel to supply 12VDC to all the internal points of the trailer as needed.

I suspect something has tripped on the 240VAC side of the transformer. I have no idea if any of that is controlled by circuit breaker, fuse, or auto-reset circuit breaker or what. The other item that have tripped out would be the surge protector device if you are using one. This unit does have a reset mechanism. Might want to look at that as well...

First thing I would look for is 240VAC at the outlets inside the trailer. If that is missing then go back towards the transformer from there. To me it almost sounds like the MAIN trailer 240VAC 30AMP circuit breaker has tripped. I would manual reset all of the 240VAC circuit breakers in the panel. i.e. turn each one OFF and pull down as far as the lever goes and then back up to ON. You should feel it reset if it was tripped...

Might pass along what Power Distribution Panel you are using - This is the 240VAC panel where all of the circuit breakers are located on one side and the 12VDC fuses on the other side...

Once you determine the converter/charger has 240VAC on its input then you can start looking where the 12VDC is not working. The surge of turning the transformer ON and OFF may have blown a 12VDC fuse as well. The REVERSE POLARITY fuses are suspect as they are in-line with the 12VDC OUTPUT.

Just my thoughts - haha...

Was you able to get in touch with Robert Ryan on the RV NET. He has been our key advisor for all things Australia Trailers for years.

For all I know about the JAYCO EXPORT TRAILERS maybe they all still use 120VAC APPLIANCES as we do but a 240VAC to 120VAC step down transformer is used so you can operate the unit in Austrailia???? Then when it is is used here in the states you just bypass the transformer with relays???

Are you here in the states with your trailer or in Australia.

Roy Ken

2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #6

I may way out in left field here hahah..

Are you calling your on board converter/charger a TRANSFORMER??? If so I think I need to go remove all of my comments above...

Give me a model number and description of your "TRANSFORMER"

NOTE: After re-reading things again a couple of time I am pretty convinced now you are indeed referring to your CONVERTER/CHARGER unit as a Transformer... I think I better remove my comments above that refer to a transformer...

Sorry for any misleadings...

Looks like I waited too long to make changes to my original post... so disregard to anything that I said about a TRANSFORMER...

Roy Ken

Old 06-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #7

thankyou Roy for taking the time the unit is the setec 35-11 I have taken a closer look at things and basically the red light comes up when I switch on 240v ac power but the good thing is it powers up the vans lights, no when I turn off 240v ac and have on 12v dc the setec unit does not switch over and supply the lights etc with the 12v dc battery power I am suspect the unit has a problem with what ever it is that manages the power input I have check all fuses and batteries read 13v dc I am at a loss with this unit and no one knows and cannot tell me whats wrong but simply say buy a new unit at $550 a pop I am more inclined to get a 3 stage ctek charger and put some 12 v rails in with fuses and be done with it???? cheers