Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #1

Pump Question

After winterizing a couple weeks ago on our return from Arizona I forgot to turn the pump off. Noticed it yesterday when I got in the TT and found the lights wouldn't work. Sure enough, the battery was down and the pump switch was lit. I've plugged in to shore power but am wondering if I've damaged the pump. There was nothing in the fresh water tank. I can't say whether all faucets were completely off, although they should have been. What do you think?
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #2

I think you will be ok. The pump is rated to run dry without damaging it. Worst you did was put a big strain on your battery and reduced its life a little bit.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #3

Turn the pump on and see if it runs. If you have a line to the pump for antifreeze just stick it in the antifreeze jug and see if it sucks it up.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #4

After the battery charged it turns out it's okay and so is the pump. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #5

I have had the same thing happen in our previous trailer. I was mad at myself for forgetting but refuse to admit that making a list is probably a wise idea. I don't want packing up or unpacking to turn into a chore. I do however do a walk around the trailer looking things over prior to leaving.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
I have had the same thing happen in our previous trailer. I was mad at myself for forgetting but refuse to admit that making a list is probably a wise idea. I don't want packing up or unpacking to turn into a chore. I do
however do a walk around the trailer looking things over prior to leaving.

I should have qualified my saying the pump still works. Since it was winterized, I just inserted the hose into some antifreeze and pumped just long enough for it to fill the hose. I'm hoping if it works for a few seconds, it will be okay for real use. I remember two problems I had as a newbie pilot, Neither had serious consequences, but both were because I failed to use my checklist. I have one for hitching and unhitching. Guess I'll make another one for winterizing. And I sure wouldn't want to fire up the water heater before filling it. So now I'll make up one for dewinterizing. Been lucky so far.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #7

I would really watch the battery if it was discharged for long period of time and not get into a situation where you are going to depend on the battery. Usually after sitting in a discharged state like that for long period of time they don't recover very well.

Your battery being discharged may have had nothing to do with the pump. Alot of folks like to install a battery disconnect switch if they don't have a trickle charge mode setup when not using the trailer. A battery can run down in three weeks or so staying connected to the trailer. There are several things drawing small currents in the trailer.

You might want to try out your batteries and see if they are going to hold up ok for the expected time period. Might be low of fluids as well.

Nothing worse then getting back off the power grid and you battery only last for 30 minutes or so before going belly up.

Most of us like to re-charge our batteries back up to at least 90% charge state when they are run down to 12.0VDC which is close to the 50% charge state. Doing this really extends the long term life of the deep cycle batteries.

Just me thoughts

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #8

Roy. checking the calendar, hat battery wasn't down for more than a few days. We parked the trailer in the driveway for several days, plugged into shore power for about a week. There were things that needed to be taken out and cleaned and returned to the trailer, as always. The weather on our return wasn't very pleasant, single digit nights, so I winterized it but didn't put it into the RV barn until maybe a week before I discovered the battery was down. I keep the battery charged by plugging it in at the barn every week or two and have never had a problem. But you're right, it needs checking out. We have a campout scheduled in a couple weeks. Shore power will be available, but that's a good time for me to check the battery. It's a couple years old, and even though we don't boondock, if it shows any weakness I'll replace it then. Why wait? Well, we're lucky enough to live where others go to escape the city. So we're nowhere near a battery store. But we will be much closer at the RV park we're going to.