Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2022, 03:25 PM   #21

Not a single false statement in this entire thread. That's rare. Beers on me!

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
Our neighbors at Koa had the water heater catch on fire during the night in their Brand NEW motorhome. Luckily the wife woke up smelling smoke and they were able to put it out before it ignited the bedroom.
Are we really trusting novices to install Propane and Electric . Does our life depend on them ? Homes have inspectors, why not Motor Homes ?
There are no building codes for RVs. Yes there are some generic high level standards but nothing like you have for sticks and bricks.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post
FWIW, I owned a residential HVAC business for over 30 years and recently retired. I've worked most of my adult life in construction primarily single family homes. One thing I can state without equivocation is the vast majority of home building inspectors MIGHT be reasonably qualified carpenters, but know next to nothing about mechanical systems ie gas, electric, domestic water and sewage. We've been called numerous times to do an annual maintenance on a furnace or boiler that had extensive code violations or even failed heat exchangers you could put your hand into.

I'm primarily referring to the home inspectors you might hire when purchasing a home, but to be frank, the code enforcement officers are only marginally better.
I understand that, I sold my home and a company’s RR inspectors came in and evaluated my home as needing new windows and water heater (I had them replaced, before I put the home on the market). My class A unit needed a lot of repairs after I purchased it. I didn’t use the “warranty “
Ljmk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:16 PM   #24

Too few mechanic's

It all started years ago when they took classes such as Auto Shop, Home Economics, and other such classes out of the schools. They encouraged us ALL to go to college instead of trades. It is so hard today to find a good qualified mechanic or technician that can do the work needed. The industry with the electronics has turned any “mechanic” into just a parts replaced,
Napapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napapa View Post
It all started years ago when they took classes such as Auto Shop, Home Economics, and other such classes out of the schools. They encouraged us ALL to go to college instead of trades. It is so hard today to find a good qualified mechanic or technician that can do the work needed. The industry with the electronics has turned any “mechanic” into just a parts replaced,
I'm pretty sure the qualification for general RV assembly is being able to breathe at least 5 times per minute. And that's it. Slightly higher for the people who actually design and engineer them.

The problem isn't the fact that more people are going to college. It's the fact that there's no money in unskilled trades simply because there's a never-ending supply of unskilled people willing to work for dirt-cheap wages.

Does anyone think a skilled plumber who can make $100k/year running his own shop is going to work for Jayco screwing toilets together in a travel trailers for $12/hr? People make better wages flipping burgers at some places.
22Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I'm trying to understand the labor shortage end of the RV service bottleneck. I know there is also a part shortage.

It seems my local shop hires anyone with a pulse and trains them. They all seem to be "multitalented" in everything from HVAC to carpentry. That is until a problem becomes too difficult, then an expert appears. But the expert seems to be someone with six months more experience.

I never paid attention before but is this how it's always been?
I have repeated this comment many times in a couple of RV sites I’m a member of: Before you buy an RV—any kind—be sure to do your due diligence on the service department of the dealer you are considering. Ask to tour the service department and to meet their technicians. Also, ask for references that you can contact. If the dealer is top notch, he will welcome your inquires and provide the proper info. If not, find another dealer. Who you buy from is at least as important as the brand or style of RV you purchase—in my opinion. Our Jayco dealer is a local, family-owned operation that still believes in good customer service. Their technicians have been there for many years, and go to school for recurrent training. Not saying they are perfect, but do a great job for us!
Old 02-21-2022, 05:34 AM   #27

No, it used to be a little better.

RV service seems to have gone way of the "big American sit out": Folks (especially younger ones) find it more attractive to sit home and collect government assistance. Shame.

Of course, this is a general statement and there are still some who prefer work hard, do good, and take pride in their work. You just have put the work in to find them.
WFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:20 AM   #28

☝️
Old 02-21-2022, 06:28 AM   #29

Plus all those Boomers retiring early or dying. The world has cut down on immigration, further cutting the supply of unskilled labor to the US. Some industries are booming any offering higher wages and better working conditions.

But some people just see their kids and their friends collecting government checks and believe it's the only problem. We sure don't like ourselves very much.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:48 AM   #30

I'm not sure the mechanic who did a bit of (extended) warranty work on my truck a couple months back even had a pulse. I made a comment to him and he was stuck for a coherent answer. Then there was the 18 year old appearing salesman I talked to while waiting the work that had no idea what his product line included.

2011 F250 CCLB, 6.7 w/Puck System plus Slide in camper option,

2014 Montana 343RL (Just sold it)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I'm not sure the mechanic who did a bit of (extended) warranty work on my truck a couple months back even had a pulse. I made a comment to him and he was stuck for a coherent answer. Then there was the 18 year old appearing salesman I talked to while waiting the work that had no idea what his product line included.
Unfortunately a common thing in many industries these days.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:11 AM   #32

People work for money. Period. I've had to hire a lot of people in my lifetime and that's the deal.

No fewer than 5 RV tech certification programs exist and they've all been around for awhile. They pedal themselves as career certifications not just wrench skills. They can't survive without students paying tuition. This tells me on face that these graduates with their certifications aren't sticking in the business. They aren't getting paid what they can achieve elsewhere. Just like the shortages being whined about in other businesses, 'where are my slaves?' With an unemployment rate of 4% as of January and will dip below that this month....people aren't laying on the couch watching TV.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
People work for money. Period. I've had to hire a lot of people in my lifetime and that's the deal.

No fewer than 5 RV tech certification programs exist and they've all been around for awhile. They pedal themselves as career certifications not just wrench skills. They can't survive without students paying tuition. This tells me on face that these graduates with their certifications aren't sticking in the business. They aren't getting paid what they can achieve elsewhere. Just like the shortages being whined about in other businesses, 'where are my slaves?' With an unemployment rate of 4% as of January and will dip below that this month....people aren't laying on the couch watching TV.
Same problem we had in the marine industry. Good techs can make much better money in the automotive industry so that's where they go. Can't blame them for that. What I've seen is that most mom & pop shops can't pay enough and the big corporate shops only care about profit so they don't pay enough even though they could. So like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 02-21-2022, 10:58 AM   #34

I grew up in the marine industry starting in about 1980. I got paid $7.00 per hour and we charged customers $16 per hour for my time. My wage was roughly 40% of the billing rate. As I stayed in the industry all the sudden labor rates started to skyrocket, but my wages didn't move much. 15 years later I was making $11.00 per hour at a shop that charged customers about $60 per hour. Now I made about 20% of the billed rate. I also found that I seemed to have a lot less spending money, I could live on $7 per hour in 1980, but not $11 per hour in 1995. Here lies a problem, you just can't live and raise a family on what the Marine, RV and Auto industries are often paying their techs. They just can't afford to stay in the business, even if they enjoy it.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:26 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
I grew up in the marine industry starting in about 1980. I got paid $7.00 per hour and we charged customers $16 per hour for my time. My wage was roughly 40% of the billing rate. As I stayed in the industry all the sudden labor rates started to skyrocket, but my wages didn't move much. 15 years later I was making $11.00 per hour at a shop that charged customers about $60 per hour. Now I made about 20% of the billed rate. I also found that I seemed to have a lot less spending money, I could live on $7 per hour in 1980, but not $11 per hour in 1995. Here lies a problem, you just can't live and raise a family on what the Marine, RV and Auto industries are often paying their techs. They just can't afford to stay in the business, even if they enjoy it.
The buying power of your $7 before taxes in 1980 would have to be $24 per hour before taxes in today's marketplace. And more by the day it seems. Tech's across those three industries you mention are seeing just a bit over half that today. Auto guys with ASE certs and master status are working flat rate and not making much more.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:16 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
The buying power of your $7 before taxes in 1980 would have to be $24 per hour before taxes in today's marketplace. And more by the day it seems. Tech's across those three industries you mention are seeing just a bit over half that today. Auto guys with ASE certs and master status are working flat rate and not making much more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
Just remember, a lot of other costs have risen in those years too such as insurance, utilities, equipment, etc. The profit margins haven't increased as much as it seems. That is not to say that all companies are paying what they could. As of 5 years ago my techs were making up to $25/hr plus commission and our labor rate was $100/hr.

Jayflight 34RSBS