Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2017, 07:48 PM   #1

Ready to Eternabond

I am getting set to apply Eternabond to the front cap/roof seal. I am going to use 6" on this seam. I am also going to do the rear wall/roof seal.

I will use 4" around the refer, skylight, and fan seals. I will do the fan after I install a MaxAir later this spring/summer.

Has anyone used Eternabond down the side wall/roof seams, the length of the trailer on both sides? I am wondering how to do this with the gutter, awning, and slide out cover; they seem to be in the way of accessing the side wall/roof seams.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #2

Curious to see the responses. I'm thinking about putting eternabond on my seams as well...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:58 PM   #3

this might also be my project for the spring/summer. At 6 years old it looks like it's ready for a refresh with Eternabond or maybe a better product called ProGuard. Do a search of ProGuard it's in here somewhere and it's all positive.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #4

Did the Eternabond this fall and am pleased with the results. I washed the roof, cleaned with mineral spirits and then washed it again. I did the back, sides and then the front seam. I had no problem with the sides. Put the tape outboard enough to cover the screws and metal sealing strip. No problems with gutter etc. I used 4" and the front seam took 2 passes, 6" would have done better, but like I said, pleased with the results.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
I am getting set to apply Eternabond to the front cap/roof seal. I am going to use 6" on this seam. I am also going to do the rear wall/roof seal.....snip
To keep the wind from compromising the exposed leading edge of the Eternabond tape on the front cap/roof joint, run a bead of Dicor sealer along the leading edge of the tape. The front cap Eternabond is the most important, but I did the same to the rear roof/wall corner joint tape as well since I had the caulk gun in hand.

Front of my TT:

A couple of trim rail screw heads were starting to work their way through the OEM slide roof tape....., I removed the existing tape with a hair dryer and applied a fresh application of Eternabond along the slide roof edge joint as well:

My Eternabond project is over five years old and holding up well......, and no leaks!

Just a FYI: While your working around the roof check that your clearance light frames are installed correctly with the moisture "weep" openings facing downward (bottom of lens)...., they have been known to be installed facing upward! Same goes for the flood lights.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
To keep the wind from compromising the exposed leading edge of the Eternabond tape on the front cap/roof joint, run a bead of Dicor sealer along the leading edge of the tape. The front cap Eternabond is the most important, but I did the same to the rear roof/wall joint tape as well since I had the caulk gun in hand.

Bob
When you did the rear roof/wall did you remove the trim piece with the vinyl insert that covers the screws or did you put the Eternabond over everything? Did you have any issues with the arched roofline?
Thanks,

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
When you did the rear roof/wall did you remove the trim piece with the vinyl insert that covers the screws or did you put the Eternabond over everything? Did you have any issues with the arched roofline?
Thanks,
No, I didn't apply the Eternabond along the entire rear roof/wall joint..., I only applied the Eternabond on the two rear corners of my roof/rear wall joint where water can pool due to the way Jayco built their TT's back in 2005.

The newer TT's have a more generous arched roof then older TT's, so it would be difficult to get a smooth Eternabond application along the rear wall at the roof arch on the newer TT's if one attempted to do so. Some TT's rear wall (cap)/roof joints lend themselves to an Eternabond application better then others do.

I elected not to apply the Eternbond along the entire roof/side wall joints and the roof/rear wall joint because I didn't want to seal the entire vinyl that covered the trim rails. There are pros and cons about sealing off the vinyl cover in these areas.

I wouldn't recommend removing the vinyl cover & trim rail if one decides to apply Eternabond in these areas.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #8

I love Eternabond, but opted for a different approach as seen in my mod thread. Eternabond is next to impossible to get off should you decide to change something, and I like to change stuff. All my seams are done with ProGuard coatings, and all the vinyl screw cover trim is sealed with black geocel Proflex sealant. Just my choice. No leaks, but I won't argue with the Eternabond approach at all.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Eternabond is next to impossible to get off should you decide to change something, and I like to change stuff.
I concur with this. If I had it to do over again I would not have put Eternabond on the seams of the bathroom skylight because they have a definite life cycle and will need to be replaced.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote