Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2021, 01:19 PM   #21

Several months ago I bought the Craftsman Tire Inflator (from Lowes). It has a digital set point, runs on 110, 12, or a battery. While not as fast as a tanked compressor, it is also small. It handles 100 psi for the tires on my Pinnacle as well as 80 for the truck tires. It should also work for blowing out water lines.
Just my $0.02.
John91320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:28 PM   #22

I bought a Harbor Freight pancake for $39 to air up tires. It goes up to 100 psi but is slow doing it. The small tank doesn't last long either. If you don't need to use it often it is not too bad for the price.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickdicks View Post
I'm looking for something that will air up an RV tire (90+ PSI) but I can also use to blow out water lines (~30 PSI). Preferably with weight not over about 40 pounds, but that's not a hard limit. Reading reviews just left me confused, so I decided to ask the people who have RVs. Anyone got one they'd like to recommend? Quality more important than price.
After a lot of searching I found this to be the best for price, application and storage;

https://www.toolnut.com/porter-cable...MaApE6EALw_wcB
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:16 PM   #24

We buy all our tech stuff at TechnoRV.com. We recently bought a Viair from them when our slime compressor bit the dust and we are very pleased. It’s faster, quieter and runs more smoothly. The nice canvas bag is easier to use as well. The commercial grade clamp on air chuck is easier too.
Angus
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:54 PM   #25

compressor

I bought a 6 gal from Harbor Freight. I run the generator and plug it in to the RV and pump up the tires.
Kat-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #26

I keep a small “B” tank with nitrogen and an old set of Smith gauges for quick top offs. Also have a Harbor Freight portable like the Viair but I never use it. I will probably get the M18 Milwaukee portable as well ,no chords to fool with. As a side note you can use the b tank with air tools ( so I’ve been told)
stenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #27

I've been using this for a while now. It works well topping up my Class C tires. If the tire is low I have to observe the 5 minute duty cycle, but otherwise I am happy with it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...-308746324-_-N

Jerry Mary and Daisy the Beagle
2022 Alante 29S
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
This is what I have carried for years, works great.

https://www.viaircorp.com/rvs-portables/450p-rvs
I also have one (VIAIR)and it works great. I pump my tires up to 110 psi cold. Other compressors that I’ve used never had enough power to go up that high pressure. Runs off your truck battery. Again I would say this is the best one out there.
basque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:20 PM   #29

Get the VIAIR compresser described in Rustynuts reply. You won’t regret it, it is the best!!! I pump my tires up to 110 psi with ease.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:24 PM   #30

Definitely the DEWALT 20V MAX Corded/Cordless Air Inflator. I carried for years a 150 PSIG Porter Cable Pancake Air Compressor but I had to find 110VAC power to use it. The DEWALT 20V MAX Corded/Cordless Air Inflator also rated at 150 PSIG is the way ato do. Pumps up my 100 PSI rated tires quickly and accurately with 20VDC battery pack. Love it.
https://www.dewalt.com/products/stor...lator/dcc020ib
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by basque View Post
Get the VIAIR compresser described in Rustynuts reply. You won’t regret it, it is the best!!! I pump my tires up to 110 psi with ease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgelyhome View Post
Definitely the DEWALT 20V MAX Corded/Cordless Air Inflator. I carried for years a 150 PSIG Porter Cable Pancake Air Compressor but I had to find 110VAC power to use it. The DEWALT 20V MAX Corded/Cordless Air Inflator also rated at 150 PSIG is the way ato do. Pumps up my 100 PSI rated tires quickly and accurately with 20VDC battery pack. Love it.
https://www.dewalt.com/products/stor...lator/dcc020ib
I have both of these. I purchased the VIAIR several years ago and then purchased the Dewalt last year. The VIAIR now sits on a shelf in my garage. The Dewalt works really well!
Old 01-13-2021, 05:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I have both of these. I purchased the VIAIR several years ago and then purchased the Dewalt last year. The VIAIR now sits on a shelf in my garage. The Dewalt works really well!
I purchased a Viair and have been very happy with it. What do you like better with the Dewalt?
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post
I purchased a Viair and have been very happy with it. What do you like better with the Dewalt?
I love that it runs off of all my 20 volt batteries and I set it to the PSI that I want and walk away until it's done. I'm pretty sure Big Truck/Big RV on Youtube did a video on it.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:37 PM   #34

I successfully used a Porter Cable pancake compressor for both jobs, but for blowing out lines, it barely did the job even on my old pop-up. I don't think it could handle the task on my newer, larger rig. It's great for tires, but a small pump and tiny pressure tank means that you must disconnect to allow it to fill, then blast the contents of the tank, disconnect, fill, blast, over and over (or connect with a 1/4 turn ball valve to shut off air flow as it fills).

The answer is to have two compressors. I have a ViAir 90P for tires. This connects straight to battery terminals and can draw about 23 amps, so it can really pump some air. (Cigarette lighter It has a decent duty cycle - 15%. And it runs on 12 volts. You can run it off your RV battery bank or your TV battery...keep the TV running. You can use jumper cables as an extension cord.
https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-90P-Por...ag=googhydr-20 If, like one commenter, I was going to air down for off-road use then air up, I'd get a much better ViAir with a far longer duty cycle. This would be the gold standard: https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-20020-S...s%2C231&sr=8-6
NOTE that duty cycle is a big deal whether you're using a 120 volt portable or a 12 volt tire inflator. It's one thing to air up one tire due to a leak. It's quite another to air up 4 RV tires and 4 to 6 TV tires after a jaunt in the dunes. That pancake won't hold up long under that kind of abuse either.

At home, I have a large portable compressor rated for 175 PSI and with a 30 gallon tank. This compressor is up to the task of blowing lines dry. Just set the output pressure to about 40 PSI and, let 'er rip. You can work continuously, from faucet to faucet to drain until everything is bone dry. This is not a pro compressor, but it's very well suited for serious home projects and RV maintenance. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-30...303H/206532808 My Husky sits in the garage/shed like a stationary compressor. I have 300' of hose (from Harbor Freight) to make it possible to reach almost any spot on my property without moving the compressor.
This is rated to deliver 6.8 SCFM at 40 PSI. A pancake will deliver half of that...and that's wishful thinking.

In the case of compressors, one size does not fit all. Any small, portable unit simply isn't up to the task of air winterizing. A 120 volt compressor requires a big inverter or a generator to power it in the field. A pancake is large and a lot to store in the RV or TV while being anemic at best.

A good 12 volt tire inflator will serve you well in the field, and a good "real" compressor will serve you well at home...especially when it comes to inflating tires to 80 PSI or so. A pancake may claim a max pressure of 135 to 150 PSI, but you'll often find yourself struggling to inflate a tire to 80 PSI, because the low pressure trigger on the pump often won't kick the pump on unless you force the issue by bleeding off air and then waiting for the tank to pressurize. With either of mine, if you want 80 PSI, you get 80 PSI with no shenanigans necessary. The Husky makes serious pressure, and the ViAir pumps continuously.

There are vastly superior versions of both types of compressor. These were the sweet spot for my needs.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:47 PM   #35

This is the one I have. No gimmicks, no charging, no bull, just pure inflating power. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...e69c735883d2a7
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:51 PM   #36

I just purchased a Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit from Amazon. I read numerous reviews and this one came out at it near the top consistently. It is designed for RV use and you can buy a winterizing kit too. Used it for the first time today and it worked well.
wiarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Eagle View Post
x2
X2
Old 01-14-2021, 03:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
This is what I have carried for years, works great.

https://www.viaircorp.com/rvs-portables/450p-rvs
X2
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:46 AM   #39

Viair 400 vs 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarcher View Post
I just purchased a Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit from Amazon. I read numerous reviews and this one came out at it near the top consistently. It is designed for RV use and you can buy a winterizing kit too. Used it for the first time today and it worked well.
If you are still within the return allowance timeframe with your 400 mode purchase, You may want to consider exchanging for the 450 model. It’s $40 more but much more power and doesn’t overheat as easily as the 400. I was going to buy the 400 when I found the 450 model. BTW the Viair customer service and quality is great!!!
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #40

I have a 6 gallon compressor (Sears brand). Great for blowing up beach toys, etc. Never had to air-up RV tires. Would recommend getting 1/4” hose instead of 1/8” curly-q hose that most smaller compressors come with.
GVStaud is offline   Reply With Quote