Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2021, 04:15 PM   #1

Recommendation for air compressor/ tire pump

I'm looking for something that will air up an RV tire (90+ PSI) but I can also use to blow out water lines (~30 PSI). Preferably with weight not over about 40 pounds, but that's not a hard limit. Reading reviews just left me confused, so I decided to ask the people who have RVs. Anyone got one they'd like to recommend? Quality more important than price.
Rickdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:44 PM   #2

I had a small Sears compressor for a number of years but it would just take too long to air up. We often go to the sand dunes requiring all tires to be aired down so as not to get stuck (most of the time). I aired down to about 25 pounds and then back up to 80.

Bought this one from Home Depot and love it. Has a much bigger capacity and works quicker. Weighs 55 pounds but doesn't seem to be cumbersome when lifted into the rear storage area.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #3

If your wanting a 12v google off road compressors lot of different ones from budget price to several hundred $. I have a 120v Porter Cable pancake (about $100) that has worked fine for me over the last few years. No it's not going to air a tire up to 90psi as fast as a big shop compressor but it will do it just takes a little time.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:01 PM   #4

This is what I have carried for years, works great.

https://www.viaircorp.com/rvs-portables/450p-rvs

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post

x2

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:

x2.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:25 AM   #7

Porter cable makes a nice pump that has a tank and pressure regulator that works good for what you are asking for. You can set tank at 95 for tires then adjust hose pressure down to lower pressure for blowing out rig. I used this brand for large class a tires that required 125 and it worked great. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:32 PM   #8
CAG

I think if you use the search feature in the gold bar at the top of the page you will find this to be a regular question and there should be some threads that will help make a decision.

If you are looking for something small and powerful the Viair is probably used by most.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #9
CAG

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ons-73337.html

If I were going to do a pros and cons of this site I could list a lot of pros but the one big con, is the poor search feature.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ons-73337.html

If I were going to do a pros and cons of this site I could list a lot of pros but the one big con, is the poor search feature.
X2

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #11

The best way to search this or any website is to use the Google Website search. So to search Jaycoowners.com in Google type site:Jayco owners.com then a space the term you want to search, so like this “site:Jaycoowners.com air compressor” and you will get a complete search of this site for air compressor.

This is the best way to search any website to get the best results.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:30 PM   #12
CAG

Quote:
The best way to search this or any website is to use the Google Website search. So to search Jaycoowners.com in Google type site:Jayco owners.com then a space the term you want to search, so like this “site:Jaycoowners.com air compressor” and you will get a complete search of this site for air compressor.

This is the best way to search any website to get the best results.

Rather than use some convoluted process to search this web site, whomever is responsible should fix this one. If it is there to be used, it should work correctly. Fact is it does not.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Rather than use some convoluted process to search this web site, whomever is responsible should fix this one. If it is there to be used, it should work correctly. Fact is it does not.
There is this link that is posted on the Forum Admin and Announcement page. You could ask the moderators to add this link to the main page, it does the same as what I typed but with ads. It’s the software that the forum runs on, not something the mods can fix. Some websites like IRV2 has added this custom search link on their sites, so there is an easy way. I search so many websites that I find it easier to use the method I posted as it’s quick and easy.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015066...95:_douuy_o5dq
Old 01-05-2021, 09:57 PM   #14

Quote:
I think if you use the search feature in the gold bar at the top of the page you will find this to be a regular question and there should be some threads that will help make a decision.

If you are looking for something small and powerful the Viair is probably used by most.
Thanks. I'm new to the forum and still learning how it works.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:59 PM   #15

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. Much appreciated!
Old 01-05-2021, 10:10 PM   #16

Bought a refurbed pancake compressor with nail guns a few years back. Rated for 135 PSI and works great to check the tires and blow out the lines for winter. Carry a ViAir when we’re on the road as it’s smaller but built like a tank.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
Bought a refurbed pancake compressor with nail guns a few years back. Rated for 135 PSI and works great to check the tires and blow out the lines for winter. Carry a ViAir when we’re on the road as it’s smaller but built like a tank.
Same here — 3-gal. hotdog compressor for home and a Viair for traveling. Well made and good support.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:55 AM   #18

I'd stay away from the cheap 12v "tire inflators" from Walmart, etc. I burned through 3 of them. They took forever to even top off my truck tires to 35psi, and wouldn't get my trailer tires anywhere near the 65 psi for the class C tires I use to have. And, they'd get so hot you couldn't even touch them. Finally broke down and bought a small plug-in "pancake" style air compressor. It works great, is light weight, and takes up very little space in the back of the truck! (I've since upgraded to class E tires, which require 80 psi. Works great on them, as well!)

But don't rely on the pressure gauge on the compressor to set your tire pressure! Get a good digital tire pressure gauge!
Old 01-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I'd stay away from the cheap 12v "tire inflators" from Walmart, etc. I burned through 3 of them. They took forever to even top off my truck tires to 35psi, and wouldn't get my trailer tires anywhere near the 65 psi for the class C tires I use to have. And, they'd get so hot you couldn't even touch them. Finally broke down and bought a small plug-in "pancake" style air compressor. It works great, is light weight, and takes up very little space in the back of the truck! (I've since upgraded to class E tires, which require 80 psi. Works great on them, as well!)

But don't rely on the pressure gauge on the compressor to set your tire pressure! Get a good digital tire pressure gauge!
Good point. The nice thing about the Viair is they connect directly to the battery, not a cigarette lighter plug. I love my big compressor, but having a 12-volt is comforting if I’m not near plug-in AC. And I can use it to top off in the RV storage yard where there is no power.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:35 AM   #20

I have a pancake compressor, 4 gal tank with a max pressure of 165 and cut-in restart pressure of 135. Filling 110 psi tires it is great that the compressor turns back on at 135 otherwise filling a tire to 110 would take a while. A larger tank would help, but weigh more and take up more space. My unit weighs 29 pounds. It is the Porter Cable C2004. I don't think they list it anymore, but it is great.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote