Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 12
Recommended Sealants

I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I did a quick search and couldn't find it. I have a Hummingbird and need to apply sealants at wall penetrations (Windows, lights) and trim. These are the clear/white sealants and black butyl sealants. What types/brands do you recommend? I had the dealer apply the roof sealant already. Thanks.
Mountain Born is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
wags999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Surprise
Posts: 2,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Born View Post
I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I did a quick search and couldn't find it. I have a Hummingbird and need to apply sealants at wall penetrations (Windows, lights) and trim. These are the clear/white sealants and black butyl sealants. What types/brands do you recommend? I had the dealer apply the roof sealant already. Thanks.



I was told by Jayco, on the roof use self leveling Dicor, on the vertical surfaces use QSI Quad sealant. It's what they use is what she said.
__________________
2011 Toyota Tundra double cab
2015 27RLS


wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: --
Posts: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I was told by Jayco, on the roof use self leveling Dicor, on the vertical surfaces use QSI Quad sealant. It's what they use is what she said.
Do you mean OSI Quad sealant?
__________________
2023 Ford F-150 XLT SCREW 3.5EB (Max Tow Pkg., Black Appearance Pkg., Bed Utility Pkg.)
1727 Payload / 4150 RAWR

On the sidelines taking it all in.


Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,324
X2 expensive but it works!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:10 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,649
You can purchase OSI QUAD Sealant in various colors at Home Depot or Menards
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
You can purchase OSI QUAD Sealant in various colors at Home Depot or Menards
Good stuff here. You can also use Dicor non leveling lap sealant on the sides of your camper.
__________________
2012 Eagle 320 RLDS
2017 Ford F-250 FX4 Crew STX 6.2l
3.73 E-locker
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
RVhiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,636
I used to use Proflex on sidewall penetrations, and it is good. But, I've been using OSI Quad for a while now and I think it stays cleaner, is more flexible, and is easier to apply than Proflex.
__________________
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:23 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: --
Posts: 2,392
So its OSI, not QSI right?

This stuff?

OSI Quad Max
__________________
2023 Ford F-150 XLT SCREW 3.5EB (Max Tow Pkg., Black Appearance Pkg., Bed Utility Pkg.)
1727 Payload / 4150 RAWR

On the sidelines taking it all in.


Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:14 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
So its OSI, not QSI right?

This stuff?

OSI Quad Max
Yes it is OSI, Ohio Sealants Inc. Not sure what the Max is you have pictured, I use this one available at Home Depot or Menards. https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...6020107039.htm
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 12
Thanks to everyone for the advice. It sounds like OSI Quad is unanimous. I also have a black butyl sealant at some trim joints that have really opened up. Any suggestions for butyl sealant? By the way, spring is here in North Carolina so I flushed out the antifreeze last Saturday and sanitized the water system. My first camping trip of 2019 is this weekend!
Mountain Born is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:06 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7
My Jayco dealer also recommended OSI quad for sealant for trim/doors/etc. However, I’ve had a heck of a time trying to apply it. It comes out very thick and won’t spread easily as it’s super sticky. In fact when I tried to use it to seal some trim it was terrible looking because it wouldn’t smooth out nicely. Can one of you who have used OSI quad give me instructions on how to apply it?

Also, the off-gas odor from the stuff is really bad!!
BadBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:48 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBeans View Post
My Jayco dealer also recommended OSI quad for sealant for trim/doors/etc. However, I’ve had a heck of a time trying to apply it. It comes out very thick and won’t spread easily as it’s super sticky. In fact when I tried to use it to seal some trim it was terrible looking because it wouldn’t smooth out nicely. Can one of you who have used OSI quad give me instructions on how to apply it?

Also, the off-gas odor from the stuff is really bad!!
It is very sticky. Here is what I do. First step, apply painters tape, where I do not want it. When complete, remove the tape, and it creates a clean smooth line.

Have a small container with VERY soapy water. Maybe a teaspoon or 2 of dawn dish soap to a cup or so of water. Have a rag to clean the finger.

Cut a tiny tip. Apply a very small quantity. Smooth with very wet finger. Add additional sealant as needed. It will stick to the soapy water.

I have never noticed the odor.
__________________

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (retired from towing)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:56 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
It is very sticky. Here is what I do. First step, apply painters tape, where I do not want it. When complete, remove the tape, and it creates a clean smooth line.

Have a small container with VERY soapy water. Maybe a teaspoon or 2 of dawn dish soap to a cup or so of water. Have a rag to clean the finger.

Cut a tiny tip. Apply a very small quantity. Smooth with very wet finger. Add additional sealant as needed. It will stick to the soapy water.

I have never noticed the odor.
Thanks Jagiven! I will give it a try. Have you tried using a heat gun to warm up the tube before applying? The tech at the Jayco dealer mentioned that when I bought my fifthwheel.
BadBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:21 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Thomson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 632
For the last. 30 years we have used GE silicone for sealing everything but the roof. Make sure it is the acetic acid cure and not the solvent. We even used it to stabilize the fender and the entry grab handle. It comes in caulk tubes and small glue tubes. For roofs we use Dicor.
__________________
Cliff and Annette
2019 Jayco 315RLTS Northpoint
Travelling with 2 Macaws, a cat, and a standard poodle
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:45 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBeans View Post
Have you tried using a heat gun to warm up the tube before applying? The tech at the Jayco dealer mentioned that when I bought my fifthwheel.
Never heard of doing such. Never felt I needed to change the viscosity. It flows nicely in my opinion.
__________________

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (retired from towing)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
MichaelO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sparks
Posts: 3,417
How do you know when it needs to be done? Do you have to cut away the old stuff before you apply the new stuff like you do with caulk?
__________________
2017 Jayco Jayflight 29RKS
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Weimador Daisy Mae (Gone, but will always be loved and missed)
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:15 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
MichaelO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sparks
Posts: 3,417
On the front of my trailer I’ve got diamond plating to protect it from the Tv. On the top edge of the diamond plate and the fiberglass the sealant has cracked and has a gap. Do I use dicor there or the OSI quad?
__________________
2017 Jayco Jayflight 29RKS
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Weimador Daisy Mae (Gone, but will always be loved and missed)
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:16 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
MichaelO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sparks
Posts: 3,417
Any suggestions?
__________________
2017 Jayco Jayflight 29RKS
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Weimador Daisy Mae (Gone, but will always be loved and missed)
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
MichaelO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sparks
Posts: 3,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
On the front of my trailer Iíve got diamond plating to protect it from the Tv. On the top edge of the diamond plate and the fiberglass the sealant has cracked and has a gap. Do I use dicor there or the OSI quad?
I ended up using dicor no sag sealant and it worked well. I read somewhere on here that if you want a clean line use masking tape. I used tape and Iím glad I did otherwise it would have looked sloppy.
__________________
2017 Jayco Jayflight 29RKS
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Weimador Daisy Mae (Gone, but will always be loved and missed)
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:49 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Las Cruces
Posts: 56
I just spoke on the phone with Jayco Service. They recommended Dicor Sealant for all exterior surfaces.
ScottRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.