Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2020, 07:00 PM   #1

Removing Side paneling

Anyone know the trick to separating exterior paneling? It looks as though the top panel should just lift up off the bottom panel, but it seems quite tight in there. Would there be any butyl seal between the 2 panels?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2842.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	56913Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2841.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	56912
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2843.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	56914
Jeremytbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:21 PM   #2

I just watched the “building a jayco in 7 hours” video and turns out they install the siding from the top down. I have a feeling the bottom lip of each panel is stapled down.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:32 PM   #3

There are staples all the way across the bottom of each piece since they usually start at the top and work down if I remember correctly.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #4

Wood shims under exterior siding

Anyone know what this might be for?Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	56917Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2847.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	56916
Old 03-06-2020, 08:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremytbeau View Post
snip.......turns out they install the siding from the top down. I have a feeling the bottom lip of each panel is stapled down.
That being the case then removal would be from bottom up, removing individual panel staples as you work up.

I'm not aware of any Butyl sealer between the siding panels.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:43 PM   #6

X2 on top down.

https://youtu.be/7IDTMY7AoDM

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:25 AM   #7

Pulled the staples out of the bottom piece but it’s not wanting to separate from the next one up. I don’t believe it’s a fastener issue but that they’ve just been stuck together so long... anyone got a tip?
Old 03-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #8

You probably need to use a plastic putty knife and gently pry along the seam. Those panels are designed to be a tight fit. It's been over 25 years since i did any repairs like that, but I'm willing to bet there are some small dimples along the top edge that help lock it in.

As to your second question those are probably not shims, but pieces that run side to side since it is on the curve in lieu of trying to bend a full sheet.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #9

I ended up removing it all in one piece by starting at the bottom and prying all the staples out. Turns out each panel is glued into the other with some hard glue. All my research didn’t prepare me for that. Possibly I can pull them apart easier with it all down and not have to replace each
Old 03-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremytbeau View Post
snip......Turns out each panel is glued into the other with some hard glue. All my research didn’t prepare me for that.....snip
That's interesting...., I wonder if this was an attempt by the previous owner to seal the panel joints due to a prior leak??

I've seen removed damaged panels at the RV dealership and don't recall any signs of any adhesive along the edges, pretty clean surface

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:06 PM   #11

I’m currently dealing with the same issue trying to remove the front siding on a 2012 Jay Flight 26BH to repair water damage from a leak at the joint where the rubber roof meets the front siding.

I’ve removed the corner trim and all of the staples from the bottom of the rock guard and along the both edges of the siding from top to bottom, but I cannot get the siding panels to separate. As the OP observed, it’s as if they’re glued together. Has anyone else come across this or found a way to separate the panels without destroying them? All of the videos I’ve watched online show the panels practically fall off once you pull the staples.

I’m currently trying to remove the entire front siding all in one piece as the OP did but having difficulty popping out the staples in the middle.
Daniel Barbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:03 AM   #12

Hi Daniel,

From what I can tell, there were a lot of leak issues while driving in the rain and this lead to glueing the front panels at the seam. I had to remove the whole thing as one and replace the metal. I found a place in GA that makes a replica panel and ended up driving up from FL one day to save on the crazy shipping costs. It’ll cost you around 900 for the panels. I did try and see if I could have removed the glue once the panels were on the ground, but it was impossible. If you need any tips let me know. If you’re the least bit handy it’s really a simple job. Be sure not to replace the seams with that same plumbers putty crap they used. Also, get yourself an ozone generator, because even though you get it all out there will still be slight smell stuck to everything else. And stay away from bleaching anything, just replace all the bad wood. Home Depot had a 1/8” plywood that I replaced the lower wall board behind the bed and inside the closet with. I just stained and cleared it. Make all your wall board cuts behind other wood so that you can replace it and it see seams. If you need any of the brown wall seam tape let me know, I have a whole roll.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:07 AM   #13

Btw, after all was said and done, I decided to reseal the seams on the rear of the trailer and found it to be completely rotten too. There was no sign of it until I removed the crappy seams. The rear of the trailer I did in maybe 3 hours one night in my HOA restricted driveway, and there’s no glue on the panels so they basically fall right out when removing the staples. Make sure you have a staple gun too. Harbor freight helped.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #14

Thanks for the followup Jeremy!!

I guess I’m committed now since I’ve got too much of it pulled loose to just put it back together. How did you go about finding the company that makes the replica panels? I don’t even know where to begin to look for replacement panels. Did you also replace the rock guard or just go back with siding at the bottom?

So far my water damage seems to be limited to the front left corner framing with no evidence of staining or water spots on the interior panels. Of course that could change once I get it apart. The trailer was parked on a pad that sloped down and to the left so all of the water seems to have settled in that corner. Fortunately the floor in the corner of the baggage compartment still feels solid.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:25 PM   #15

I did quite a bit of research and found a place in GA and another in CA. I’m in FL so my camper didn’t come with the rock guard but I did order a different rock guard type pattern for the lower half.

As much damage as I had my floor was ok too. The water seemed to travel down the seams and barely touch the floor. I did have some damage to the first floor beam but that’s the one piece I left because it was solid.

Here’s the company I ordered through.
http://www.all-rite.com/

If your corner seams are all bent up like mine, I was able to order them through jayco. You can email parts@jayco.com with your vin #.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #16

Great information, thanks!!

While searching for replacement RV siding I also came across this place that looks promising and is only about 20 miles from me:

https://macsaluminum.com/

If they have what I need it’ll sure save me lot on shipping!

I think I’ll be able to re-use the corner trim but it’s nice to know it’s available if I do end up needing to replace it. Were the pieces pre-cut and pre-curved? I bet the shipping for that wasn’t cheap either.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Barbee View Post
I’m currently trying to remove the entire front siding all in one piece as the OP did but having difficulty popping out the staples in the middle.
Can I ask at least one crazy question? Why are you trying to remove the entire front siding as a single piece? What is your plan to put it back on after your repairs?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Can I ask at least one crazy question? Why are you trying to remove the entire front siding as a single piece? What is your plan to put it back on after your repairs?
I didn't start out trying to remove the front as one piece. Like Jeremytbeau described in his original posts, after removing the corner trim and all of the staples from the bottom and sides, I couldn't get the panels apart from each other and was probably going to destroy them if I kept trying. Jayco apparently glued the panels together to reduce the chance of leaks. I bought the trailer new and I know the front's never been apart before so it came from the factory that way.

Also like Jeremytbeau, I initially though that if I could get the front off in one piece I might have better luck figuring out a way to separate them once they were off of the trailer. Regardless, they had to come off to address the rotted wood underneath.

My plan now that I know they're glued together and not likely ever come apart without destroying them (and confirmed by Jeremytbeau's experience) is to try to replace them with new panels. (After I repair the water damage of course)

During my research I found a company that makes replacement RV siding only 30 miles from me that I plan to contact soon. From what I've heard from other people's experiences, shipping costs for RV siding makes it very expensive. Hopefully they'll have what I need and I'll be able to avoid the shipping cost.

Incidentally, my leak didn't come through the front of the trailer or through the corners. It came from a crack in the sealant in the front roof seam. (Where the rubber roof meets the front siding) The cracked sealant was on the left side of the roof. Where the trailer was parked it was leaning to the left and the front was low so all of the water settled in the lower front left corner. So far it looks like all of the damage is limited to that area. (I'll know for sure once I get the siding off)