Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #1

Repair advice so I make wise decision

First thing, I'm not going to come back and say "I should have never listened to you!", I'm only looking for advice and opinions and if anyone has been there done that, that would really help.
Well almost two years of first time ownership and I finally really messed up. We store our Jayco in a typical facility that holds two units per section, looking at our spot from the lot we are on the right and there is a boat on our left, or door side of the camper so I always slide it in as far to the right, or iron beam side, as I can to have room to open the door and get in and out for whatever reason while stored. Friday night after work, in the dark and stupidly trying to get to the campground a couple hours up the road in a hurry, I clipped the trim on the rear on the beam, stupid, stupid! I'm going to attach photos but I cannot see any other damage to the camper at all. No dent or scrapes on the wall, the down spout is fine, it looks like I just barely clipped the trim and peeled it back.
So my questions are 1. Since this is not warranty work should I shop around to find the dealer that can do it for the best price? 2. Anyone have any ballpark idea how long replacing the trim should take so I don't get bent over? 3. I didn't slam it hard, we were slowly pulling out and I was watching my camper and the pole as long as I could before the right hand turn took it out of view so I don't think I need to be concerned about frame damage.
I have kept the open area covered heavily with duct tape to help keep out rain and moisture, so I'm not too concerned about water damage. Anyhow, flame away at me for my screw up and give me any help or ideas you have and I will be more than grateful.
Yours Truly, Embarrassed Camper
Attached Thumbnails
trim 1.JPG   trim 2.JPG  
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #2

Sorry about your mishap. I really can't help you with the repair, but I just wanted to say don't worry about being embarrassed, Stuph happens! Go to the campfire chat. There is a thread called "whats your most bonehead RV moment". read some of the incidents BTW there are 42 pages with 419 responses. Good luck with your repair
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #3

That looks like a pretty cheap repair. You will have to order the trim, there are a few online parts suppliers to get Jayco parts and they will ship direct to you. Then I would stop at a few dealers and or RV repair shops to get an estimate, take the pictures with you so you don't have to drag the trailer around. That should be a quick fix.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:29 PM   #4

If you do any DIY projects that is one you could handle yourself since it is pretty straight forward. Order the parts and go at it.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #5

I agree with the others. If it's as you say, and from what I can see in the pictures, that's an easy repair. I'm handy, so I would go for it on my own. Of course, it's just the way I am, but I would try to make it better than it was if at all possible.

Also, don't worry about the bone-head move, there are lots of us here!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #6

Stuff happens. Don't feel bad.

My suggestion, as others have made, is to fix it yourself.

Is this the type of corner trim that has a vinyl insert on the rear covering screws that attach it, and just a flat piece that covers around the corner to cover the side? If so, I have removed and replaced mine to re-seal it; it is VERY easy to do. Just remove the old - the top may be under another trim that has to be loosened to remove the damaged piece - and attach the new piece using LOTS of butyl tape to fill in the gaps. Let a day or so go by, and then scrape off the excess butyl that has squeezed out. Use a plastic scraper so as to not make scratches in the paint. Now, you're done, unless you want to apply a bead of caulking as well and a bonus is that now you are a trained RV body repair tech!
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #7

Quit beating yourself up about it. The good news is you'll never do that again. Read the Bonehead moments thread - guaranteed to make you feel better.
Max & Mocha May - Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #8

I thought it looked like something I might be able to do. Rvhiker, I don't know the answer to your question but it looked like with the exception of a screw helping secure it on the bottom at the curve it is held on by adhesive. I didn't check out the top yet because I only ripped the bottom 25% or so. Truthfully when I heard the noise and saw what I had done I was kind of relieved because it was "only" trim. I got my mind right and spent the next four days having a good time with the wife at River Vista campground in Dillard Ga., They had a kick butt country/blue grass band at their New Year's Eve party!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:25 PM   #9

Are you planning to do the repair yourself?

The one screw may be the one screw that holds a vinyl insert at the bottom of the trim molding. If you unscrew that one screw, you should find that the vinyl strip will just pull out of the channel it is in within the molding and then you should see the screws - about one every eight inches or so - that hold the molding to the rear of the trailer.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #10

That is why you have insurance on your rig... I would probably be covered...
ps we don't flame on this site...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Yep, true on both accounts, just a little self deprecating humor. I don't do social media but I do spend some time on some home team message boards and love reading comments posted at the end of on line articles and I can say without a doubt this is the classiest most helpful group of folks to grace the interweb. I think it's because the very essence of rving is about fun, community, respect and looking out for each other!
Old 01-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Unfortunately most deductibles will be way more than the repair. I had a blow out with $1500 damage, long story short the repair shop just kept screwing around. I ordered parts on line $400 and a couple hrs work (for I haven't don't this before) and it looks factory. If you have any DYI skills you ill be surprised how simple repairs are.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote