Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #1

Repairing black tank flush question

Ok so after 5 years the dreaded J/R Products 571 vacuum breaker/check valve started leaking on my black tank flush line. I was thinking of eliminating the valve all together and replacing that part with a simple 90* plastic elbow. Pretty sure you need a check valve in there somewhere so I was going to remove the existing outlet where you hook up the hose to flush the tank and replace with this https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-white-CI...-/371125236576 so the check valve would be at the wall instead of 2 feet inside the trailer. Does anyone see a problem with this?
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #2

Same problem with ours. I just replaced with solid ell and that was it. According to the dealer the check valve is to prevent back-flow but the tank would have to be filled to the top to create back-flow. I can tell the line empties into the tank when I unhook the hose and can hear it pulling air in thru the fitting. I have done this on two different units we have had.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlakes View Post
Same problem with ours. I just replaced with solid ell and that was it. According to the dealer the check valve is to prevent back-flow but the tank would have to be filled to the top to create back-flow. I can tell the line empties into the tank when I unhook the hose and can hear it pulling air in thru the fitting. I have done this on two different units we have had.
What size fitting did you use. I have pex on one side and rubber hose on the other. Every time I rinse it makes a terrible buzzing sound.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #4

I think the only reason I want a check valve is since it's a direct line to the tank it could possibly vent black tank odors outside.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #5

I was lucky- there was 1\2 pipe thread fittings on both sides of ours, made it real easy. The worst part was cutting a hole inside the cabinet beside the shower to get to one of the devices, the other one was in the basement. I have never had any odors come back thru either connection.