Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #1

Question Replace A/C Gasket From Above?

My 2015 Seismic toy hauler leaks when it rains or when snow melts and that sounds like a gasket replacement (versus drop tray which would only happen when the AC is running.)

Every youtube video, every manual I can find shows getting at the AC from underneath to at least know how far down to torque the lag bolts that tighten the unit, but I have a ceiling panel directly under the unit with no access panel or grille to remove.

(Area under AC unit shown in BLUE)

Once the shroud on top is removed, there are 4 long bolts securing the AC down, one on each corner. Once those are removed, there are still 3 bolts that seem to secure the compressor to the roof itself - I started removing those and then warning bells went off... Should I do this?

I am a pretty handy guy and with direction and/or knowledge I can handle most technical repairs. I just hate going in blind!

Was concerned the lines in and out of it may get kinked or damaged if I do this improperly, but can't see any way to pull the unit without doing this. The dealer is NO help, they do not have the safety equipment necessary to have their techs go up on the roof so will not even look at it. Best they could do is order me the part and wish me luck.

Nothing in the manual, nothing on YouTube that describes this scenario.

CAN I BE THE ONLY SEISMIC OWNER WITH AN AC GASKET LEAK? (OR... could it be something else???)

Just want to get my unit out again!
goldenroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #2

The new Quiet Cool units are all top mounted. You remove the shroud and possibly the squirrel cage cover(can't remember if that has to come off) and you will find 4 lag screws holding the unit to the roof.

Should have added nothing involving the compressor.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #3

hmmm - I pulled the bolts and there are 3 still connected. I wish I took a pic, I will do so as soon as it stops raining and I can remove the tarps! LOL
Old 07-29-2019, 07:58 PM   #4

Question Would it maybe just have needed tightening??

Found the hidden bolts and got it off. A/C pulled up and off from above -no problem. But.... I don’t see any problem woth the gasket. Looks brand new still.

Does it maybe just need to have the A/C tightened down periodically??? I have to pull the electrical out to try to route the wiring through. And I don’t know that I see a “gain” from doing that. (Plus trying to get all the old gasket off so I get a good seal and don't create a NEW leak!)

Maybe just put it back on and tighten it down “harder” (more torque on the 4 bolts???)

I literally see nothing wrong with the gasket. There is one spot that has a bit of a "crease" in it, but it doesn't span the width of the gasket. And the evidence of water intrusion was on the far corner. -the leak would be at the "bottom right corner" of the image posted here, kind of between that corner and where the yellow power cable intersects it in the photo...

You can just barely make out the dark streak where the water came in (circled in the image)

Old 08-10-2020, 07:33 AM   #5

Never will I ever buy another Jayco

Soooo ticked off. It was not the gasket!

The roof is sagging — apparently the trailer mechanics say this is pretty common as they have been skimping on the roof materials for years. There is not enough structural strength to support the A/C properly as the trailer bounces down the highway and eventually it starts to sag and then leak.

Roof has to be peeled back, the structure removed and rebuilt properly, then the roof needs to be re-sealed. And I need a new ceiling as well as it is all warped and saggy.

I now see a bolt head or something popping up from under the lino in the kitchen flooring as well. None of this is warranty either. I’m just livid. I have to spend thousands to repair this trailer and build it up to how it should have been from the start. And I have no choice because I still have a loan on this thing. Furious with Jayco at this point.

I would never buy anything else from these crooks. Ever.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:39 AM   #6

Would you mind posting the location of the hidden bolt? Maybe a pic?

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #7

Just curious, is your roof in good shape otherwise? Seems that if they have to rip out your ceiling anyway, they should be able to brace it from below and not damage your roof.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Just curious, is your roof in good shape otherwise? Seems that if they have to rip out your ceiling anyway, they should be able to brace it from below and not damage your roof.
I was thinking this same thing - That's exactly what I would do if I were in this situation.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenroads View Post
Soooo ticked off. It was not the gasket!

The roof is sagging — apparently the trailer mechanics say this is pretty common as they have been skimping on the roof materials for years. There is not enough structural strength to support the A/C properly as the trailer bounces down the highway and eventually it starts to sag and then leak.
I find that hard to believe since JAYCO has been using the same Magnum Truss roof system for quite awhile now and it would apply to everything they have built and are building. It's listed as being part of your rig. Not that something didn't fail, but I doubt the bouncing caused it. Have you contacted JAYCO?

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/...uction-detail/

https://www.jayco.com/blog/jayco-dif...m-roof-system/
Old 08-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #10

How about posting some pics with a level/straight edge on top of the opening .

That's gonna be an expensive repair for a dealer.

Wonder if you could make a plywood base attached to the top to support the ac unit then seal it.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:00 PM   #11

Thank you for saving me hours of hard work and frustration. I have the same exact issue with my 2017 Seismic 4212. While researching the issue I came upon your post. Thank you again.
Carlos & Ranae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #12

FYI...something to look into if you are replacing a failed gasket is the Steele Products gasket for roof mounted air conditioners. It's made of edpm, one piece, and unlike the one that came with your RV, will resist shrinking from age.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac gasket, ac leak, replace gasket, roof leak, seismic