Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #1

Replace OEM propane regulator and pigtails

I purchased a new Marshall Elceisior Megr-253 regulator to replace the Oem regulator on my 2014 W Hawk. I am also going to replace the original pigtails and am thinking about using hoses I purchased when I installed an lp gas range in our rural home. They were very well made with brass fittings but they have the old style fittings for the tank [Not the acme] fittings on the original hoses. I know the old style fittings will work as the newer valves on the 20 and 30 lb tanks have both the external and internal threads and will accept both of the connector types. The only down side I can see is that I will have to use a wrench to install and replace the tanks.

Am I missing anything?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:15 AM   #2

Why are you replacing the regulator and pigtails? Was there a problem with the OEM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBob View Post
Why are you replacing the regulator and pigtails? Was there a problem with the OEM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind of a long story, but to be brief, I had a problem a year ago when I suspect the check valve that keeps gas from back feeding thru a disconnected pigtail began leaking when I pulled an empty tan. I recycled the process of pressurizing the line by opening both tanks after installing a full tank Haven't had a problem sense but have read multi stories of people having problems with the oem regulator and the pigtails. Ok I am adding a new propane range in my home and had to order all the components to set up tanks, regulators, etc for the new range. In the process I ended up with an extra brand new regulator and I figured it was time to replace the oem on the TT. The oem pigtails are not top shelf hoses that are stiff and starting to show cracks. All of this gets me to this point and a decision to go ahead and get rid of the original stuff before I'm somewhere in the middle of nowhere and have a problem.

The only hi grade rubber hoses I have found have the old style pol end to attach to the lp tanks. Just asking if anyone sees a problem with using the old style fitting on my TT. I know the pol fitting will fit and work and it seems to me that the only issue is I would be bypassing the anti leak feature built in to the tanks with the Acme valves. Having to use a wrench to change out an empty tank seems to be a positive rather than a negative in that it makes the tanks slightly harder for someone to steal.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #4

In my experience what you want to do will not be a problem. Essentially, I did what you are considering when my pigtails failed.

The replacement hoses I found had fittings that were smaller with (IIRC) LEFT hand threads (are those 'pol'?) and required a wrench as you said. These hose fittings screwed into threads that are inside of the large, right hand threads used by the usual pigtails.

I used the replacement hoses for a couple of months without an issue until I could get the trailer to the dealer for warranty replacement pigtails.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Kind of a long story, but to be brief, I had a problem a year ago when I suspect the check valve that keeps gas from back feeding thru a disconnected pigtail began leaking when I pulled an empty tan. I recycled the process of pressurizing the line by opening both tanks after installing a full tank Haven't had a problem sense but have read multi stories of people having problems with the oem regulator and the pigtails. Ok I am adding a new propane range in my home and had to order all the components to set up tanks, regulators, etc for the new range. In the process I ended up with an extra brand new regulator and I figured it was time to replace the oem on the TT. The oem pigtails are not top shelf hoses that are stiff and starting to show cracks. All of this gets me to this point and a decision to go ahead and get rid of the original stuff before I'm somewhere in the middle of nowhere and have a problem.

The only hi grade rubber hoses I have found have the old style pol end to attach to the lp tanks. Just asking if anyone sees a problem with using the old style fitting on my TT. I know the pol fitting will fit and work and it seems to me that the only issue is I would be bypassing the anti leak feature built in to the tanks with the Acme valves. Having to use a wrench to change out an empty tank seems to be a positive rather than a negative in that it makes the tanks slightly harder for someone to steal.
Thanks for the explanation. I was not aware of a problem with the OEM regulator but that may explain a problem that I recently encountered. One tank had emptied and I had switched the regulator to the full tank and removed the empty one with intent to refill, but procrastination set it and I did not replaced it for several days. Then it seemed that the connected tank seemed to have run dry sooner than expected. So perhaps i had some leakage while the empty tank was disconnected??

I have no answer to your question, but I wonder if there is such a thing as a remote regulator. The only time I have a tank run dry is at 2:00 in the morning when it is freezing cold outside. Sure would be nice be able to switch tanks without having to go outside.
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBob View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I was not aware of a problem with the OEM regulator but that may explain a problem that I recently encountered. One tank had emptied and I had switched the regulator to the full tank and removed the empty one with intent to refill, but procrastination set it and I did not replaced it for several days. Then it seemed that the connected tank seemed to have run dry sooner than expected. So perhaps i had some leakage while the empty tank was disconnected??

I have no answer to your question, but I wonder if there is such a thing as a remote regulator. The only time I have a tank run dry is at 2:00 in the morning when it is freezing cold outside. Sure would be nice be able to switch tanks without having to go outside.
Thanks, we are talking about the same hoses that use to be on all grills and RV's until the new Acme external thread valves were introduced and now mandatory on the smaller tanks. The old hose fittings have reverse threads and screw in using the internal threads on the tanks.

Yes it sounds like you may well have had the same problem that I had when I left one hose unattached when I removed an empty. I'm surprised though that you didn't smell the propane if you were anywhere near the TT. The auto switch regulators are designed to switch to the aux tank when the primary [the one that you have the lever switched to] goes empty. You have to leave both tanks open and the regulator will switch over automaticly. When you check the green/red gauge on the regulator it will display green when it is using the selected tank. It will go to red when it switches to the aux tank. When you move the selector lever toward the aux tank it will go green again. You can then remove the empty and get it filled or exchanged. Gas should not leak thru the unconnected hose. That sounds like the same problem I had.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #7

I replaced my regulator on my 2011 today because the existing didnt have "auto-change " which I thought it had , but I was mistaken. I had already swapped to stainless braided hoses last month.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #8

For those of you who would like to see a alternative to using a wrench for inside thread fitting, look what Mr. Heater has for you.

F273783 Hand wheel | Mr. Heater
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
"What Isn't Broke I Don't Fix". Rubber products don't like UV rays.
"Baby Powder" preserves rubber. Also works good when pulling wires in a pipe.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #10

I had a regulator go bad some 20 years ago, so when we bought our new Jayco I immediately bought a spare, including fittings and hoses.

As luck would have it the OEM part failed in 2 years, in the middle of a snowstorm when I couldn't live without heat.

I replaced it in 10 minutes. A week later I had another spare in stock.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:08 PM   #11

I also had one go bad when out in the woods. I had a regulator for a home made outside stove with me so I used that. It worked. The stove was built by a Vista Natural Gas employee, so I trusted what he used and built as the same pressures for the TT. You also can find a single stage regulator for cheep in a pinch just to have a extra. Do the research for the equal pressures and volume flows. Gas is something that can kill if it is mistreated. Have you seen videos to refill the disposable propane cylinders? Doing that is illegal according to the DOT regulations. There are legal refillable cylinders out there.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
I had a regulator go bad some 20 years ago, so when we bought our new Jayco I immediately bought a spare, including fittings and hoses.

As luck would have it the OEM part failed in 2 years, in the middle of a snowstorm when I couldn't live without heat.

I replaced it in 10 minutes. A week later I had another spare in stock.
I agree with you 100 percent. Learned the hard way several years ago when a regulator went bad in our pop-up ... I just spent 30 min. in my x17z trying to figure out where my DW put the box with my spare regulator, hoses and thread sealant that I ordered over the winter. (I noticed minor cracking in both hoses last Nov. , when we cleaned & covered for the winter). I will be replacing them before our first trip this year!! (cheap insurance)
camprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #13

Member 5+ years, 1st post LOL ( I've learned alot on this forum...great group!!)
camprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:44 PM   #14
Site Team

Believe me, we all have. I've had 3 pop ups, a Class A, and 2 trailers, and I still learn things every day!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote