Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2022, 01:29 PM   #1

Replacement window on a 2018 38BHDS

Broke a window on slide out looked it up and listed as 60x29 size part #0260668 for replacement item. Anyone have place to get an after market or better to use an O.E.M glass? Can I get the window cut? Can I use non tempered glass? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Lifecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State!

You should have it replaced with safety (tempered) glass. Take a look at another window, and there should be the manufacturers name etched into a corner of it. CleerVision, Hehr, etc. An entire new window will be able to be ordered from them, if not Jayco. Check with a professional glass shop to see if they can replace just the glass, if that's possible.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:38 PM   #3

Thank you for the information I have plexiglass in it to seal it up for now. Camper is on a permanent site so would you still recommend tempered glass window popped when opening it scared the crap out of me.
Thanks
Old 08-08-2022, 05:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Yes I would. Tempered shatters into tiny pieces that are less likely to cut you. It doesn't take well to any twisting, so that may be what broke it. Also, could've been a tiny flaw or edge chip that caused the failure. I've had side car windows shatter for no apparent reason.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:19 PM   #5

Window

Makes sense, thanks again for you help.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:30 AM   #6

I couldn’t find anyone that could replace the glass and wound up finding a replacement window on eBay.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:52 AM   #7

Did you replace to whole assembly or just the glass? All the after market windows seem to be about an inch taller and I really do not want to cut up trailer.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:18 AM   #8

I have used a local glass shop before for a specific sized piece of glass and I was told that they could cut any size glass, almost any shape possible, many different thickness choices, and the glass could be regular (not sure of the term) or laminated, or tempered and also there was a choice of tinting for most choices.

However this shop stated they didn't have an oven (or whatever term it is called) to temper glass so a tempered order would take a few extra days. What was\is needed though is a template to follow in order to cut the glass or they could use the exact dimensions for square cuts along with the thickness, but not rounded cuts. If you happen to have another window with that same size glass, that could be used for a template, or if you can cut out a plexiglass, or cardboard exact dimension template, as that would work as well. I was cautioned though that if I provided my own template that was incorrectly sized, that the cost of the glass would be on me, and also that once a glass is tempered that it can't be further cut or trimmed.

In any case, I would contact a glass shop in your area for more details. ~CA
Old 08-09-2022, 09:50 AM   #9

Great to hear that and I have a template already cause I had to put in a piece of paper plexiglass for now.
You are the man of the hour that you so much for info. I did find an O.E.M. replacement but ends up costing around $600.00.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:36 AM   #10

FYI for future reference on my last comment, the claim the glass shop made to me about being able to cut any size glass (up to some high upper limit) is based on "Flat" glass which is what I needed and common in an RV. Curved glass like many windshields and auto door glasses and back windows requires a special process that they couldn't do in-house, but they told me that they likely could source any non-flat glass for less cost than I could source due to them getting a wholesale price vs me paying a retail price. ~CA
Old 08-09-2022, 11:00 AM   #11

Last thought before I go do some work , I wouldn't be concerned really with having to have tempered glass for a trailer's side window. While tempered glass is safer, no one should be in the trailer while traveling anyway. I think in a vehicle (ie motorhome) there are DOT codes in place that require tempered\laminated glass due the ability to have passengers in the area of the glass while traveling, and an accident could send sharp pieces of glass on someone in the case of an accident. I suspect that a glass shop could cut a non-tempered glass within hours (maybe while you wait) if they don't have a backlog of work to do, even glass with a tint already in it if that matches your glass needs. ~CA
Old 08-09-2022, 11:02 AM   #12

Understand if it was a special I would have to pony up the money for O.E.M. but being flat glass shouldn't be an issue.

Thank again.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:16 PM   #13

Trailer on permanent site so I'm thinking I'm ok with regular glass I have an old house and so far no one has been impaled by any glass yet. No that I've jinks myself!
Old 08-12-2022, 06:40 AM   #14

Window

Thanks for your reply. Was the new window a complete assembly or just the glass and was it an
Exact fit or did the opening need to be modified?
Trailer it relatively new and really don't want to modify it.

Ron.H
Old 08-27-2022, 02:47 PM   #15

We went through this with our Greyhawk 29mv. I learned that those windows have a "ceramic frit" around the edge which protects the adhesive from deteriorating in UV light, so while a local shop could replace the glass, they couldn't provide the baked on ceramic frit. Without the frit they expect the window to loosen up within a year or two, depending on how much UV it's exposed to.

I also learned that Jayco would not replace the wide window without replacing the entire frame and operable windows below it. That was an $1800 process, but I was delighted to find that my Amica insurance policy had a zero deductible glass clause, so I paid zero. It did take almost six weeks, so I made a temporary 1/4" plywood "window".
Old 08-27-2022, 02:52 PM   #16

I make these to match the same as you have. its 80 percent of our business now. if you still need one give me call.
AA Glass Nation Inc
253-677-0237
jafo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifecamper View Post
Broke a window on slide out looked it up and listed as 60x29 size part #0260668 for replacement item. Anyone have place to get an after market or better to use an O.E.M glass? Can I get the window cut? Can I use non tempered glass? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Hello! I'm a little late to the party but if you haven't already resolved your window glass replacement, you might check out this video and the glass source mentioned in it, rvwindows.com.

https://www.onedayglass.com/replace-rv-window/

Good luck!
CarolTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 02:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Did you replace to whole assembly or just the glass? All the after market windows seem to be about an inch taller and I really do not want to cut up trailer.
Thanks for the info.
I replaced the whole assembly but discovered the inside trim ring was a different thickness (for a thicker wall IIRC) so I reused my original inner ring. Worked great for me. If your window is an unusual size finding a replacement could be a challenge.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 09-01-2022, 02:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
I replaced the whole assembly but discovered the inside trim ring was a different thickness (for a thicker wall IIRC) so I reused my original inner ring. Worked great for me. If your window is an unusual size finding a replacement could be a challenge.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B