Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #1

Replacing ceiling panel

It's a rainy afternoon at Frontiertown, MD, so my mind turns to unresolved projects...

Last summer I discovered some water damage on our 3230's roof. After our (great) trip to Disney's Fort Wilderness in October, I rented a heated storage bay and completely replaced the membrane along with several areas of rotten luan, and all the roof vents & skylight. A hell of a lot of work (70 hours over three weeks) but saved $1,000's, and I know (for better or worse) what's under there.

The interior ceiling looks fairly decent still, however there are parts of two panels where the luan is obviously separating and the textured vinyl"wallpaper" is sagging a bit. One of those areas is where the front cabover curtain track attaches, so it is a bit more noticeable since it is not tightly secured now.

Ought to replace those panels, but am really concerned that the new sections won't match the old at all. Am also assuming that these panels were attached to the ceiling's foam core with ribbons of glue (as the roof deck was). Not sure how to fasten new stuff...(assuming I can get the good parts of the old panels off without destroying the foam).

Anybody been down this road? I will probably check with Jayco and/or Jayco dealers for panel availability but given that this rig is 16 years young, guessing that will be futile. Other sources? I suppose I could attempt to overlay the entire ceiling with new material and just leave the old stuff in place... That would eliminate the need to remove and would also eliminate the matching issue. And for much of it I would then have the old ceiling to mechanically fasten to.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice would be very welcome!

2000 Jayco Designer 3230
32' - E450 - Triton V10
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #2

The edge of the panels are also, probably, on top of the walls so an overlay sounds best. You could use 1/4 round to trim out the edges.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #3

May be... I can't tell for sure as there's a vinyl L-strip applied to all of the corners. However this thing has a box-aluminum frame construction - just don't know how that part fits together. I only saw it from the top side when I had the roof apart.

But a corner molding would help to mechanically hold things together too - a bonus!

2000 Jayco Designer 3230
32' - E450 - Triton V10
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote