Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2020, 06:19 AM   #1

Replacing overhead lights in Redhawk 22J

There are 6 overhead lights on the same on/off switch for the main living area. Unlike my previous Jay Flight 23RB, none of them have an indivisible on/off switch. So it's either all lights or no lights. Is this easily doable?

I would like to replace the current puck (?) style lights and replace with puck (?) style that also have an individual on/off switch. Is it simply a matter of pulling the light from the ceiling, disconnecting 2 wires, and reconnecting the wires to the new lights?

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:58 AM   #2

Yes, you can change out individual light fixtures. If those are LED, you may find it harder to find similar lights that have a switch.
I took the more difficult route of actually changing some wiring to separate light fixtures and add another dimmer switch..but that's a lot of work!
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:31 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
There are 6 overhead lights on the same on/off switch for the main living area. Unlike my previous Jay Flight 23RB, none of them have an indivisible on/off switch. So it's either all lights or no lights. Is this easily doable?
I agree those 6 lights are bright at night. As an alternate suggestion, try what we do. We only turn on the two lights over the dinette and the two lights over the countertop at night. They give enough light without being overpowering.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:46 AM   #4

I've found replacements on Amazon that have switches on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
Yes, you can change out individual light fixtures. If those are LED, you may find it harder to find similar lights that have a switch.
I took the more difficult route of actually changing some wiring to separate light fixtures and add another dimmer switch..but that's a lot of work!

Old 09-10-2020, 11:48 AM   #5

Our little 22J doesn't have extra lights over the dinette. It does have 2 separate lights over the counter top. It does have a couple of lights in the overhead bunk, but that switch is very hard to get to.

I just double checked. Went out to the MH. It does indeed have 2 small oucks over the dinette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I agree those 6 lights are bright at night. As an alternate suggestion, try what we do. We only turn on the two lights over the dinette and the two lights over the countertop at night. They give enough light without being overpowering.

Old 09-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #6

Quote:
I've found replacements on Amazon that have switches on them.
Quote:
Our little 22J doesn't have extra lights over the dinette. It does have 2 separate lights over the counter top. It does have a couple of lights in the overhead bunk, but that switch is very hard to get to.
Glad you found some lights that should work. It is as easy as taking down the old ones and installing the new ones. Just an FYI, LEDs are diodes, and power only travels through a diode in one direction. So if the light does not work on the first try, flip the wires around.

I added a number of lights to our 23B. The over head cabinet shelves are hollow. I figured out how to chase wires to the cabinet, pulled up the shelf from the inside (about 1 million staples) and spliced a few new lights. Just have to pull the board up with the staples really slowly, so you do not break it. I never secured the shelves back in, as gravity and the OHC design keeps them in place.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote