Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #1

Ripple under window x17z

Brand new 2013 X17Z. Parked it under the garage for first time, since bringing it home. I noticed about a 3" in length ripple / raised area under the 2 front windows on both sides of the coach. It is where the aluminum framing is located. Can only see it when looking down the coach. You can feel it also. I'm thinking it is just an imperfection of the vacuum bonding process. Any thoughts or experience with that issue ?
ProEFX Tow Mirrors
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #2

Another thing that makes me think it's at vacuum bonding imperfection is the ripples are perfectly straight and maybe an 1/8 in width. The thing that concerns me the most is that they are under the windows. Never seen delamination that was in a perfect straight line and the same width. Any thoughts on the subject ?
ProEFX Tow Mirrors
Old 10-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #3

I am thinking you are right on with the dis-bonding/imperfection in the process. Make a note of it and call your nearest Jayco dealer.

Worst case, they need to replace the side of the camper with a new piece. Right now, parts orders from Jayco are taking between 4-8 weeks for receipt. The sooner you bring it in, the sooner they can order the part (will be covered by the 2 year warranty).

Option 2, keep an eye on it. If you notice ANY water after a rain storm or washing, get it in IMMEDIATELY.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #4

Doesn't sound like delamination to me, either. But, I wouldn't wait to report it to your dealer and initiate a written inspection request. Although there is a two year "bumper to bumper" warranty, one thing that Jayco can do and has done is to blame leaks on the failure of the owner to repair caulking on seams that are already caulked or even on seams that Jayco did not caulk from the factory; your two year warranty may not apply.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #5

Today I removed the window on the door side to see if any delamination had occurred. Everything was rock solid. . . Very impressed with the vacuum bonding ! NO WATER DAMAGE. The seal around the window was not so impressive. Cheap foam maybe 1/32" compressed, if that material made it past a 2 year warranty I would be surprised. I took a quick trip to camping world and got some butyl tape aka putty tape and took all the windows out (3 on a X17Z) and applied the tape.
The stuff was oozing out all around the windows. Took a plastic putty knife clean all the excess tape away, cleaned up the left behind with some acetone (careful around the decals) and it looks AWESOME. I think JAYCO builds a quality product, but only to get you past that 2 year warranty benchmark !
ProEFX Tow Mirrors
Old 10-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
... The seal around the window was not so impressive. Cheap foam maybe 1/32" compressed, if that material made it past a 2 year warranty I would be surprised.
I had the same opinion of the window sealing on my trailer. Note that if Jayco windows leak when under warranty Jayco can deny coverage based on the stated requirement that owners check seams for caulking problems ... even if the caulking "problem" is that Jayco did not caulk the seam in the first place.

Jayco recommends that the owner put a "cap" of caulk around the windows, along the top and down the sides a little past the curve. This gives a double seal, the putty or butyl tape and the caulk.

By the way, putty tape and butyl tape are quite different. I believe that butyl tape lasts longer than putty tape.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote