Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #1

Roof cleaning and treating

Newbie here. I bought my first trailer over the winter-Jayco Octane SL 209 toyhauler. The roof is a little dirty. I don't even know what it is made of-possiblr rubber? What is the best way to clean it? Should I use any type of soap? Should I coat it with anything?
mattf301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf301 View Post
Newbie here. I bought my first trailer over the winter-Jayco Octane SL 209 toyhauler. The roof is a little dirty. I don't even know what it is made of-possiblr rubber? What is the best way to clean it? Should I use any type of soap? Should I coat it with anything?
You're going to get lots of opinions on this topic...

I believe you have a rubber roof. Some folks say to leave it alone and let the dirt act as a barrier/protectant to the roof. I am not one of those people. I like a clean rig.

Some will suggest scrubbing the roof using murphy oil soap or some other type of mild soap. I use a pressure washer, with the gentle tip.

Coating is another debate. Some use rubber roof protectant, some use 303 Aerospace, some do nothing. I haven't protected my roof with anything, though I may start using something (probably 303...more to help keep it cleaner, longer than anything else). Just make sure to periodically check all the sealant around all the penetrations and vents, as well as the front and rear caps. Making sure you have good seals will do more than adding some type of protectant spray onto the roof.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #3

Most common recommended cleaners are Dawn dishsoap and spic and span. I use dawn dish soap. I bring a 5 gallon bucket up with soap in it. Fill it on the roof. I use a car wash brush to scrub the roof. Rinse well. That's it. I tend to clean twice a year. Main goal is to inspect the caulking and for tears.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Most common recommended cleaners are Dawn dishsoap and spic and span. I use dawn dish soap. I bring a 5 gallon bucket up with soap in it. Fill it on the roof. I use a car wash brush to scrub the roof. Rinse well. That's it. I tend to clean twice a year. Main goal is to inspect the caulking and for tears.

I also use Dawn dish soap, and soft car wash brush. After cleaning and rinsing with clean water and allowing it to dry, I inspect the whole roof especially caulking etc. Then I wipe the whole roof with 303 Aerospace as a UV protestant. Actually just did this today.

I then wash the whole TT as anything washed off the roof, runs down the sides. Plan on using one of the ceramic treatments on the TT.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

This was a topic I was wondering about too. I have a new coach with the rubber roof. Where I park it in the driveway, it's under a few trees my neighbor owns, so I can't cut them down. I'm trying to figure out what to treat the roof with to keep all the organic crap from the trees from staining the rubber roof.

Any ideas?

I bought a complete cover for the rig (more for Winter and longer term storage), but if we're going to be using the coach regularly, putting the cover on and off for short term use, is a chore.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #6

And then, there are a couple of camps out there with regard to how clean the roof should be.

1. There are those who insist on an unblemished white roof.

2. And the camp I fall in. I wash my roof a few times a year with Spic and Span and a fairly stiff brush on a broomstick enough to remove the major crud and reduce the amount of black streaks on the side of the trailer.

My rationale is that I have a cruising sailboat with a maintenance schedule that dwarfs the maintenance of my 26BH, and there's no way I'm going to clean the roof more than it needs it. It's seldom seen, and who cares, anyway. Even without a boat, motorcycles, and a house to maintain, I doubt I would be troubled with stains on my trailer's roof. It's never going to love me back.

As has already been mentioned, the most important part of roof maintenance is keeping water out. Many, me included, turn to Eternabond tape to replace the factory applied sealant. That's worth doing a net search.

Accept my sincere wishes that you fall into the camp of clean enough is good enough.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:40 AM   #7
Site Team

I spend more time inspecting mine than washing it. As stated the goal of the roof IMO is to keep water out, looking good is optional due to my age and common sense with my time. I wash it with various things over the years, used to be spic n span, now I use a liquid roof cleaner that I spray in sections, scrub and rinse.. Maybe twice a year.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #8

As a construction consultant, I'm going to agree with the previous posts. TPO is commonly found on flat / low slope commercial buildings. Most if not all manufacturers of this product recommend periodic inspection & cleaning with a soft bristle brush and mild detergent. That said, I've been on some pretty nasty looking roofs and the product still holds up very well.
F250dieseldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #9

We are set up on private property in the middle of the woods. As such, we have no running water other than what comes out of the RVs water system. Certainly no pressure hose. If I were to wash the roof it would require buckets of pond water and a ladder.

I have never washed a roof since our first trailer was bought in 1986.

BTW, that oldie is now our guest house and is still going strong.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote