Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #1

Roof Damage

We had a big storm this weekend and some Leyland Cypress trees blew against my 15 Eagle 318RETS Trailer. Busted the outer shell of the skylight and the bathroom vent door cover. Also it stabbed some holes in my rubber roof on the edge on the entry door side, about a 5 foot long edge all in a line. Do they normally patch them or tear the whole roof off and replace. I'm meeting my insurance adjuster Thursday and wanted to be prepared. The RV place I deal with said it sometimes can be fixed but they would have to look at to determine. The roof is structurally sound, I've been up on top of it so its good. Just some holes and small tears. Any input appreciated.
Thanks!
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Amosmoses33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #2

If the tears in the roof are repaired with Eternabond, then the fix is going to last longer than the new roof would. Unless it is a really bad tear, long and wide, I would just use Eternabond to fix it.

If the roof is structurally sound as you said, I wouldn't even bother with the insurance company. A Skylight and Vent cover are easy replacement jobs and putting on Eternabond is pretty easy too. You should be able to fix everything yourself for less than your deductible.

If it were me, I wouldn't bother with insurance unless it was big ticket items or major structural damage.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #3

I would put my foot down for total replacement. I would take a check for the total value and make an appointment for RVarmor, or any of the other spray on roofing systems. Those will truly last the life of your camper and require ZERO maintenance and are usually CHEAPER than a replacement rubber roof.

Such a new camper, I would do it right.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply's guys. I think I want it replaced. I will look into the RV Armor. I failed to mention my small bedroom slide that has the little closet in it was out and its a bit wobbly now. It pushed the top all the way in and wedged the bottom against the floor. It goes in and out, but I don't get that clicking that you get when it is fully brought in. It does when you extend it out.
Thanks again!
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Old 07-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #5

Have your dealer you can trust nearby take the RV in to get their opinion. That slide problem could be major damage that could amount to a huge problem. You can have them do the roof work or do it yourself.

The real concern is the potential repair cost of the slideout, maybe even the frame. Your dealer might even find damage you can't recognize.

Throw a tarp over the top to keep rain out and get that appointment. Be sure to tell the dealer your roof and skylights are toast so you can get in ASAP.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #6

Will be taking to the dealer to check out the slide for sure. Make sure all that is good before fixing the roof. I have a tarp on it and duct tape over the cracked skylight. Hasn't leaked anymore.
Talked to RV Armor, they quote $140 per linear foot which isn't a lot more if any than whole new rubber roof.

Thanks Yall!
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!