Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burchie70 View Post
snip........Should I remove the Eternabond tape across the whole length of the seam or can I just put it over the top of the sections that are buckled?.....snip
Yes, remove "all" of the existing tape since it's showing signs of deteriorating and isn't adhering to the roofing material. I removed mine with a heated hair blow dyer..., it can be a slow process depending on the condition/quality of the existing tape. I don't recommend using a heat gun.

After applying the Eternabond run a bead of Dicor only where the Eternabond meets the back of the trim flange.

Good catch before having the slide topper installed.

I've seen new Jayco's sitting on dealer lots with the new black slide roof sealer tape already coming off......, cheap thin tape.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #22

Thank you for your help. Our bedroom slide seal leaked the first time it rained after we got it home. The dealer sent 2 technicians up to replace it at my house. They put the new seal in and then plastered silicone across the top of it which only lasted 2 months
Burchie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #23

Well Rustic Eagle I’d like to say the first time removing Eternabond tape was fun and easy but I’d be lying. I think I would rather slam my finger in a car door than to remove that tape lol. The hair dryer did make it easier though. Does every bit of the gummy residue have to come off before installing the new tape ? I saw on here someone say they use the Eternabond cleaner and someone else said lacquer thinner to clean the surface and then wash it with soap and water. Would mineral spirits work also ?
Old 05-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #24

Eternabond Removal

Second, if you have determined the EternaBond® must be removed, follow these instructions:

Using a heat gun or a hair drier, heat up 2-4" of the tape on one end.
Grab a corner of the tape and pull on it. The sealant should stretch like pizza cheese.
As you are pulling on the tape, cut the stretched EternaBond® with a razor blade, keeping it wet with water.
At this point some of the residual gray EternaBond® MicroSealant® will still be on the roof. Work it off using a strong solvent like lacquer thinner, acetone, or gasoline, and some elbow grease, or...
Leave the residue in place. It will not hurt anything, and if you put new EternaBond® over the old, the new MicroSealant® will absorb the old MicroSealant®

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip...... use the Eternabond cleaner and someone else said lacquer thinner to clean the surface and then wash it with soap and water. Would mineral spirits work also ?
Oh yeah..., when I removed the old sealer tape off my '05' Eagle slide roof it was a real slow process (about an hour).

I used lacquer thinner applied to a cloth and cleaned up as much of the old adhesive as possible..., but I didn't apply the solvent directly to the roofing material. Not sure about mineral spirits.

This is my '05' Eagle slide a few weeks after applying the new Eternabond. I applied the bead of Dicor shortly after the pic was taken.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 05-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #26

Looks good, I just got the tape off my last of 3 slides and there was water under the tape in a lot of spots. I tightened all the screws back down and got about a turn and a half on each one. My next move is to clean up the adhesive with a solvent. The mineral spirits actually worked good to clean the adhesive off my wife’s new hair dryer that she doesn’t know I used lol. I see in your picture that you went over the trim rail on the side of your slide out that holds the roofing down. The tape from the factory was tucked underneath on mine. Probably doesn’t make a difference though. Thanks Jopopsy and Rustic Eagle
Old 05-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip....The tape from the factory was tucked underneath on mine. Probably doesn’t make a difference though......snip
I agree, either way gets the job done. The recent models are tucked underneath...., back-in-the-day were 'over' the side metal trim.

Good you caught the trapped moisture.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 05-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #28

Well I got all the leftover adhesive removed from all three slides and the new Eternabond tape put down. Had one small mishap on the first slide I attempted to do. I tried to unroll the tape as I applied it but as I went along the tape started to run. So the tape didn’t stay tight to the flange all the way across and I didn’t get the screw heads covered by more than 3/8 of an inch. The other 2 slides I unrolled and cut the tape to length first and then worked it across and they came out perfect. I have plenty of the tape left so I might run another piece over the top of my first piece I screwed up. It’s not the full length of the slide so it should go quickly. The tape I have is 4” wide so I might try cutting it in half for the length I need. Once I’m done with that I’ll run a bead of Dicor across the flange side of the tape.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Can you put Eternabond on the textured popcorn roof for those of us with fiberglass? I’m concerned the texture will not allow a good seal.
Bump on this. Never got a answer !
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote