Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

Roof leaking on 2,011 Jayco

This is our first RV - the 2,011 X17C which we bought brand new last fall. We have had it to the dealer a few times, first to where we bought it where they fixed a few minor things and where we had a fan cover installed. We also had them check everything out before we left on a trip to Colorado in June. They never mentioned a crack in the roof seams. While in Colorado we had water coming through the air conditioner, lots of water. We left the fan on, no air, just the fan to blow outside air in and it rained really hard while we were gone and came in only where the air conditioner is. I asked about this here on the forum and a few people said to have the air conditioner bolts checked. We made an appointment to have that checked with the nearest Jayco dealer, not where we bought it. By the time they could give us the appointment we had so much hard rain here that many areas were flooded badly, but no water seemed to come into our RV. We took the RV in on the appointed day and told the dealer to check everything. They said we had cracks in the roof seals and had to reseal, which we had them do. They said that has to be done once a year so it was time. We had it almost a year when we made the appointment to have them check it out. They said we also needed the bearings packed so we had that done. When we got home I noticed, in the bathroom shower corner, from the ceiling to the tub, water stains which I never noticed before. My husband called the dealer and asked why they did not tell us about the leak before sealing the roof. Basically they said, too bad, we could spend thousands to dry it out or just hope for the best. Do we have any recourse? I mean we really thought it was the A/C bolts that caused what seemed to be a one time leak. We asked this dealer to check out EVERYTHING. They never said we had a leak in the roof, only that we had some cracks in the seals that needed to be done so we told them to do it, not realizing we had a leak. When we called them and told them we discovered they sealed the roof seams over a leak they said we should either spend the thousands to dry up the water or just hope we don't get mildew. This has turned us off to RVing. We were going to buy a truck and the 199 Jayco in a couple of years, but now we just feel like giving up the whole idea of RVing and just run this one into the ground.
Sabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would contact Jayco directly. You have a 2 year warranty and it sounds like you have met the required manufacture's maintenance requirements as well. Have all your service info handy and dates.

Jayco Customer Service: 574-825-5861

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I would contact Jayco directly. You have a 2 year warranty and it sounds like you have met the required manufacture's maintenance requirements as well. Have all your service info handy and dates.

Jayco Customer Service: 574-825-5861

Bob
Thank you for your quick reply. I was told by this dealer that the roof is only warranted for 90 days, but I will call Jayco tomorrow, anyway, to see what they say.
Sabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #4

I was told we have a 12 Year warranty on thr roof.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #5

Call Jayco and find a real dealer to take care if it.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:51 AM   #6

I can not believe that the dealer stuck to the 90 day period!!! The least he could have done was arrange things with the company and run with it for you. Either way though- I am confident that you will get it back fixed and better then new! Let us know how things went and good luck!
mtkeg15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACSKINS View Post
I was told we have a 12 Year warranty on thr roof.
Unfortunately the 12 yr warranty is only on the roofing EPDM material, not the seams or sealants which is what usually fails.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina View Post
Thank you for your quick reply. I was told by this dealer that the roof is only warranted for 90 days, but I will call Jayco tomorrow, anyway, to see what they say.
I think the dealer is giving you a line on this one. Surely the seals and sealants should not possibly fail and have to be redone after 90 days. A whole lot of trailers would be leaking..................
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #9

Call Jayco, and find a new dealer.. I was told and I beleive that Jayco provides a two year bumper tp bumper warranty. 90 days is pure BS. Many trailers sit on a dealers lot for a lot more than 90 days. Do they (the dealer) recaulk the roof seams? Willing to bet my pay check on that one.
Smithrjd is offline   Reply With Quote