Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #1

Roof question

This weekend I washed the roof on my Jay flight 34RSBS 2017. I Inspected the sealant and found that it had some cracking and I want to reseal these places. In order to get the correct sealant I contacted Jayco to confirm the type material I have. Their response was that it was a dicor rubber roof and I should use dicor sealant.

After looking at the roof I'm not convinced that is correct. I have had rubber roofs in the past and they were a tan color and smooth surface. This material is white and has a texture like orange peel. After some research on the internet it looks more like an Alpha System roof that requires a different sealant. Also my owner's manual says for maintenance it only requires washing with soap and water. This agrees with Alpha Systems but rubber roofs require a special cleaner and uv protectant. Now I am confused as to which it is. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Any help will be appreciated.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #2

I have a 2018 SLX 267BHSW and my rubber roof fits the white/orange peel texture description you mention, which, by the way, also looks just like the rubber membrane roof I had on a 2000 Terry trailer I had previously and which I did some roof repair work myself. I think what you have is a Dicor EPDM roof membrane and you should be fine to use Dicor self-leveling lap sealant around the extrusions which is what should already be present that you're seeing a few cracks in. Another alternative, however, is to use Eternabond tape, which you can install in small pieces right over the lap sealant, according to the on-line advice I've read a lot of. I actually did a few small strips of Eternabond on a couple of minor cracks in the lap sealant around my bathroom skylight because it was all I had with me at the time, and it has held up well over the past 6 months with no issues. Anyway, I would just get the Dicor self-leveling stuff, following the cleaning and installation instructions you can get at the Dicor website, and consider it good.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #3

I just spoke to Jayco and they assured me that I do have the Dicor roof and what sealant to use. She was able to confirm from my description what the material was.

Thanks for the reply.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 05-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #4

I have an older roof, found much the same, white coating was in poor shape and even showed some large areas of black. washed with the dicor wash and then put two coats on the all black areas and another four coats over the whole roof, waited two years and then did another wash and two more gallons of white coating, really gotta mop it on to get two gallons on 40 feet of roof.
fast_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:32 PM   #5

Dicor has both EDPM rubber roof, and TPO roof membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
I just spoke to Jayco and they assured me that I do have the Dicor roof and what sealant to use. She was able to confirm from my description what the material was.

Thanks for the reply.
If you ask if your roof is a Dicor, she will say yes, no matter the surface. I went to the Dicor website. They describe the TPO roof membrane having a light pebble surface.

Good news is any Dicor sealant can be used with the TPO roof membrane.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:24 PM   #6

Just found this, for whatever it might be worth:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/rvingwit...do-i-have/amp/
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:49 PM   #7

Dicor's the product for your roof.

Do yourself a favor though, and do some searching on this forum and youtube on the Eternabond tape. It's a far better alternative to the Dicor sealant.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:39 AM   #8
Site Team

I just did a leak repair on a friends roof. He paid large hundreds to a reputable business to "coat" his roof. They did a poor prep job and caused some damage to one skylight particularly. Moisture had gotten under the material and it peeled off like masking tape from a roll. I cleaned it and replaced it with Eternabond around the skylight. He says he has been in several frog strangling rain storms and no more rain.

While in there, I also added some foil tape to keep leaks from cooling his roof rafters.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
If you ask if your roof is a Dicor, she will say yes, no matter the surface. I went to the Dicor website. They describe the TPO roof membrane having a light pebble surface.

Good news is any Dicor sealant can be used with the TPO roof membrane.
She is the one that said Dicor, not me. From what I had found I didn't think she was right but I explained what I had and she confirmed it was Dicor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Dicor's the product for your roof.

Do yourself a favor though, and do some searching on this forum and youtube on the Eternabond tape. It's a far better alternative to the Dicor sealant.
She convinced me it was Dicor so now I know what I need. As for Eternabond she did say it was a good product. I need to get at least a small piece to patch a small cut. I really don't want to remove the existing sealant as it is still adhered very well and I don't want to damage the roof removing it. Is it difficult to get it to seal over the existing caulk or does it need to be removed? It looks like it might be hard to mold it around and over the areas.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 05-30-2019, 07:01 AM   #10
Site Team

Get a small plastic putty knife and gently remove the high spots on the old caulk. Clean the area, I use Acetone and wipe gently. When dry apply the Eternabond patch with at least 2 inches of patch beyond the damaged area. Eternabond can be layered like a roof shingle to cover a larger area if needed.

It comes in 4 and 6 inch widths and also larger patches. Prepare for sticker shock as the smaller the piece, the larger the cost but it ends your caulking task.

It does not end your inspections however.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
Just found this, for whatever it might be worth:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/rvingwit...do-i-have/amp/
The question I always have in situations like this is will the Dicor Ultra work for both old and new?
Demco Base Plate
Demco Commander Tow Bar
billjmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:07 AM   #12

I use the 4 in Eternabond tape and cut it in half making twice as much 2 in tape which is all I need. Cuts the cost in half also. I have the 50 ft. roll.
Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:39 PM   #13

Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant will stick to old Lap Sealant. Just clean the old stuff with Dawn and warm water, dry very well, then apply the new Sealant. It looks messy but works very well. Yes, Eternabond is the way to go if you can.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote