Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2024, 10:09 AM   #1

"Sanitizing" the A/C unit and/or the vents

As of today we've been long-terming in our camper for 8-1/2 weeks. Everything works flawlessly. We are very pleased with the 21MML camper and the Jay Feather amenities.

That said, if everything stays on schedule we will close on our new home 4 weeks from today. The camper is plenty comfortable, but I am ready to again "sleep in my own bed!"

Now to my question.

I am Asthmatic, and have noticed over the past week that when the AC kicks on I start to cough. That human canary aspect of my personality tells me something needs cleaning. Three possibilities come to mind:

1. What in or about the Furrion AC unit might need a shot of Lysol or other cleaner to kill any musty accumulation?

2. The condensation of course drips outside (aft port corner, to be exact). Obviously it falls into a pan that carries it to a vent or drain that evacuates it to the room of the camper. What is the scoop on purging it with a disinfectant?

3. Finally, what about the overhead vents? I have access to an Ozone generator and can treat the interior with it as needed. I'm curious as to the pros and cons of that route.

Insight, suggestions, and known steps will be appreciated.

One final bit of info: we are set up in our daughter's back yard in a shady area. Literally, the camper only gets indirect and "splotchy" exposure to sunlight. That said, the area is humid only on muggy days or after a rain. At present, we've had no rain but have instead been dry as a bone for nearly a week.
wordsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 10:33 AM   #2

I'm no ac expert. How often do you clean or replace the ac filter? Many of the new rigs have residential paper filters. I have a foam filter, I clean it about every 7 days of use. I'm surprised by the amount of dust it collects.

The condensate forms on the inside coils and is routed outdoors. If your running without a filter the coils will get dirty, and could get moldy.

As for an ozone generator. Run it near the ac unit while the ac is on. To pull the ozone into the ducts. If your not aware ozone can ruin plastic easily and is not good for your health.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 07:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I'm no ac expert. How often do you clean or replace the ac filter? Many of the new rigs have residential paper filters. I have a foam filter, I clean it about every 7 days of use. I'm surprised by the amount of dust it collects.

The condensate forms on the inside coils and is routed outdoors. If your running without a filter the coils will get dirty, and could get moldy.

As for an ozone generator. Run it near the ac unit while the ac is on. To pull the ozone into the ducts. If your not aware ozone can ruin plastic easily and is not good for your health.
Roger that. Thanks.

My filter is also a foam type that gets washed regularly. To help keep the coils clean I shut the unit off so it does not run while the filter is out and drying. I'm working on getting the nomenclature for the exact filter to see if I can order a box of them. That way I have a clean extra that can go in while another is on the clothes line. Besides, after "x number of washings" the foam will eventually break down so that single filters will have to be discarded.

Ozone: I'm familiar with the hazards and benefits of Ozone treatments. I had never heard of such until a former Toyota service manager who likewise rides motorcycles described the process his dealership used to treat cars they took in on trade. One of the last service tasks was to deodorize the car with an ozone treatment.

The generator I can get is a small unit that is equipped with a timer. I would have to be out of the camper for about an hour: 30 minutes for the treatment, and at least another 30 for the particles to neutralize.

Fan mode would take care of the airflow, so the trick would be to get the generator positioned up high enough for the AC intake to suck up the particles.

As I mentioned in my initial post, I deal with a bit of Asthma. It's under control and I've not had an "attack" in quite some time, but I am hypersensitive to odors and odorless stuff that many people will not notice.

Thanks again for the feedback!
wordsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 09:55 AM   #4

Just an FYI and something I have looked into. Ozone generators do not help with asthma or allergies and instead they often make things worse. The reason is that while ozone can oxygenate organic compounds in the air (which removes odors), it will do the same in your throat and lungs. Staying out of the area while using an ozone generator is certainly a good idea, but when you return there will likely be higher levels of ozone remaining in the air along with no reduction in the particles and pollens that cause issues. However, the ozone does indeed remove odors. ~CA

(my comment is specific for ozone generators, there are some hepa filtration systems that have a hepa filter and an ozone generator built-in and the hepa filter does help with particles and pollens but not the ozone generator)

Many examples (documents and research) where you can find this information, here is just one of them.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/fi..._generator.pdf