Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2024, 10:48 PM   #1

Seam sealants for the north part of the US.

I have to reseal our Jayco Eagle Fifth Wheel. What is the best caulk/sealer for all the outside seams. It gets into the 80's in the summer and can get into the -30F + in the winter. So, there is a lot of expansion and contraction going on.
There are so many products on the market now it's mind boggling. So, any help is greatly appreciated.
r4r4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 04:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4r4ever View Post
I have to reseal our Jayco Eagle Fifth Wheel. What is the best caulk/sealer for all the outside seams. It gets into the 80's in the summer and can get into the -30F + in the winter. So, there is a lot of expansion and contraction going on.
There are so many products on the market now it's mind boggling. So, any help is greatly appreciated.
After some reading and advice, it looks to be that 'Geocel ProFlex RV Flexible Sealant' is the best, quality sealant to use. I just used some the other day. Sticky stuff, but does the job well, if applied correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 6.09.38 AM.png  
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 07:01 AM   #3

Agree on ProFlex. Used this myself to reseal ours, works really well, and now 3 years later still in good condition.

Follow the directions, and keep wet shop towels handy, as the stuff is SUPER sticky.

Works so well I have used it to resolve a leak issue on a daily driven car.
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 07:12 AM   #4

This Dicor self leveling lap sealant has worked well for me on horizontal surfaces (eg roof): https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-501LSW-...dp/B00G6KGPFM/

They also make a non self leveling version for vertical surfaces, but I don't have any personal experience with that one.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
After some reading and advice, it looks to be that 'Geocel ProFlex RV Flexible Sealant' is the best, quality sealant to use. I just used some the other day. Sticky stuff, but does the job well, if applied correctly.
Yep..And Quad Seal does a good job too.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:50 PM   #6

Hey, thanks everyone, it seems I was on the right path considering Geocel Proflex RV Sealant. This is just one of those jobs a person would rather get right the first time.
Much appreciate all the input as of now, I have a date with Geocel, rags, scraper, and sweat �� . The things the joys of maintenance are made of.
r4r4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:49 PM   #7

Sikaflex 221 canít be beat in my opinion. Warning it has a really thick viscosity (even in warmer temp) so strong hands or a battery powered caulk gun is needed.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 02:26 PM   #8

I watched a guy put on geocel and smooth it out with his finger tip using paint solvent (I think it was paint solvent) off a rag on his fingers. of course I would want to test it first.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 08:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I watched a guy put on geocel and smooth it out with his finger tip using paint solvent (I think it was paint solvent) off a rag on his fingers. of course I would want to test it first.
I used mineral spirits. Wet the rag, wet your finger. Smoothes easily. A bit of Dawn mixed in a cup of water works too. For a nice clean line, use blue painterís tape on the edges. Just pull it off before it sets up, especially in warm weather.
😁 "If a man says heíll fix something, he will. Thereís no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 12:08 PM   #10

For everyone using the Geocel ProFlex RV, I used that last year on some spots of my corner molding, it did not stick to the original sealant, less than a year later I can peel it right off, there was no adhesion to the original sealant. The original stuff under the corners is very soft, I'm wondering if they used regular silicone when they built it, usually nothing likes sticking to that.
nbase810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 12:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbase810 View Post
For everyone using the Geocel ProFlex RV, I used that last year on some spots of my corner molding, it did not stick to the original sealant, less than a year later I can peel it right off, there was no adhesion to the original sealant. The original stuff under the corners is very soft, I'm wondering if they used regular silicone when they built it, usually nothing likes sticking to that.
Rarely ever a good idea to apply sealant over existing sealant especially if the two products are different. Best to remove existing sealant, clean then apply new sealant.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 01:19 PM   #12

I'd have to remove that entire corner cap then to remove the sealant from in there. There has to be a way to do this...
Old 05-29-2024, 03:54 PM   #13

If it was oozing out from the corner molding, I suspect the old stuff was butyl tape. Thatís not caulk per se but works well for sealing screws or other places where a hole is cut into the siding and prone to water intrusion. Youíll see it all over the outside ó usually pretty sloppily done. If it was oozed out enough to be in the way of your caulk, it probably was doing itís job and additional caulk isnít necessary. If itís dried, cracked and/or has gaps, then you probably would need to scrape it out first. JMHO.
😁 "If a man says heíll fix something, he will. Thereís no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 08:59 AM   #14

Yea, it's definitely not the butyl tape sticking out, it's some kind of clear sealant, and it's shy of the edge, it doesn't protrude past the edge of the metal corner trim pieces. Also it's like the most perfect bead, if a person did this, they are way underpaid. Luckily it's only a couple spots where I need to fix it, guess I'll be digging that stuff out somehow. Attached are a couple pics of what I'm talking about, it's pretty dirty, haven't washed it yet this year, but you can't even see any "flow" marks on that stuff. Not sure why they rotated...strange...
Attached Thumbnails
image_67233793.jpg   image_67203585.jpg  
Old 06-01-2024, 03:22 PM   #15

I have and do use the Geocel. It has great expansion capabilities. My first experience with it was when someone helped with a new shower. The RV guy used this and wet a sponge to smooth it out. His boss told me he that it was the only thing he used from the roofline down. Great stuff.
Jaycomelbourneng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk, sealer, seam sealer, waterproofing