Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #1

Seneca Electrical Problem

We have a 2008 Seneca 36FS. When I turn on the Bathroom lights (especially Bathroom Vanity), the power shuts on and off intermittently-and the LP Alarm beeps everytime. If I turn on all the lights (along with the Vanity light), the power shuts on and off at a rapid pace.
I took it to Camping World-Ft Myers FL, and they diagnosed it as a bad slide out motor (because I got it to "flash" while having the vanity light on and putting out the bunk slide out...to create a power draw). We had the motor checked back in MD, and they said it's definitely not the slide out motor (duh).
When it first started, I thought it had something to do with moving arounfd in the bathroom (for it seemed to happen when we had the bathroom lights on and were moving inside), but it may have been a coincidence.
Anybody ever have a problem like this?
Anybody have any idea where I should start looking?
Laplata620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:27 AM   #2

Based on your description it sounds like there may be a loose connection at one or more of the lights or, even more likely, a poor connection at the switch. Another likely suspect would be the wire splices used to connect various branch circuits together. Moving wires to locate loose connections may prove to be the most productive approach.

Most RV places (Camping World included) and dealers are not really good at isolating electrical issues. There are exceptions. But as you found out the technician (?) at the Ft. Meyers Camping World definitely did not know what he was talking about.

Treat any advice from people that diagnose all electrical problems as "a short somewhere" with skepticism. Shorts usually result in blown fuses.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #3

Chuck,
So, I've been experimenting with different electrical situations to try to narrow my search.
The problem occurred when all the lights were on and we used the water pump.
The problem has occurred when I used the main slide out with the lights off.
also with the bunk slide out with the lights off
also just by having all the lights on and the tv on as well.
So, I went around and looked for loose grounds. I took apart and cleaned the one under the steps (outside). It looked horrible, but it didn't fix the problem.
I went under the bed and checked all the wiring going into the Transfer Switch. I found some wires weren't even connected appropriately. I reconnected them. It didn't fix the problem.
This problem occurs under all sources of power (Gen, Shore, DC).
What decides what power source to use? Is it the converter in the distribution panel? (not the one that charges the battery right?-There's only one wire coming from that and I think it only goes to the battery.)
Could the distribution panel converter (if there is one) have a problem that would result in the situation I have?
Thanks for your help. I'm running out of options!
Jay
Laplata620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beeping lp, electrical problem, seneca