Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #1

Short of winterizing...

What do you all do to prevent cold-weather damage to your RV? Living in SC I don't plan on winterizing as we'll use it year round. I do want to be prepared for below freezing nights, etc. when not in use. I keep it plugged in at the house to maintain battery & fridge but don't run anything else.

It's worth noting that I have the Thermal Package on my Jay Flight but I'm not 100% sure I know what that is other than insulation on the bottom of the TT.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #2

Since you have the thermal package, you'll be safe from the occasional freezing nights only if you run the RV's heater.

The heater's ductwork sends warm air into the protected spaces underneath.

So, plan on spending some propane to keep the plumbing undamaged.

---------

I had looked into this after I bought my trailer. Being in NY, the amount of propane needed to keep my TT ready-to-roll all year was silly.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
What do you all do to prevent cold-weather damage to your RV? Living in SC I don't plan on winterizing as we'll use it year round. I do want to be prepared for below freezing nights, etc. when not in use. I keep it plugged in at the house to maintain battery & fridge but don't run anything else.

It's worth noting that I have the Thermal Package on my Jay Flight but I'm not 100% sure I know what that is other than insulation on the bottom of the TT.

shrp
Since you'll be plugged in, it's probably more cost effective to just run a small ceramic heater inside. You won't get as much protection since you aren't running hot air through the belly.. maybe save the propane for any major cold snaps you get out there. I'm not a huge fan of running the main furnace unless I'm actually in the camper, seems like more wear and tear and excessive propane consumption than I'd personally be comfortable with.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #4

I agree, we don't like using the propane unless actually needed. But our new Jayco has an electric heat option that seems to work real well.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #5

Ours is kept inside and always plugged in and rdy to go.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #6

If you have access to an air compressor, would you be able to drain the tanks and blow out the water lines to prevent freeze damage? Many owners, even some in "real" winter locations, choose that method over antifreeze. Once you introduce antifreeze it does take much longer to reactivate the system for use again.

If you do use the air method, it still would be a good idea to pour some RV antifreeze into any drain line that has a trap to prevent freeze damage to your drain lines. But at least there you don't have to worry about flushing it all out before using the RV again.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #7

so, one of those 30-ish degree nights will be tonight. my daughter is home from college and staying in it with the water hooked up. do i need to do any anything to prevent the supply hose or internal pipes, etc. from freezing up other than her running the heater? it's expected to be 33 degrees tonight and 32 tomorrow night. (mid-60's during the day) thanks in advance.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
so, one of those 30-ish degree nights will be tonight. my daughter is home from college and staying in it with the water hooked up. do i need to do any anything to prevent the supply hose or internal pipes, etc. from freezing up other than her running the heater? it's expected to be 33 degrees tonight and 32 tomorrow night. (mid-60's during the day) thanks in advance.

shrp
Little known fact is that the freezing point of water is 32 degrees Fahrenheit plus or minus 80 calories. Meaning if you have water moving it has energy(calories) and is therefore will sustain a lower temperature. Have a faucet running a small amount of water and you should be fine especially at 33 degrees. May want to open your grey valve and drain the clear water onto the ground for the faucet running all night long!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is online now   Reply With Quote