Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2017, 07:18 AM   #1

Shower Pan Support Needed to Stop Leak

Our shower drain fittings leak when we shower. We tighten them before each use, but after a move or two inside, the pan/floor flexes up and down, especially at the front where the pan/floor is cut to allow access to the drain. This causes the drain to leak. The shower "floor" is the plastic pan, 1/4" MDF like material, and a 1/4" styrofoam layer in between the the pan and the MDF - Very Cheap!

We are considering inserting a 1x4 with 2x4 legs stubbed under the 1x to support the front of the shower floor. We are thinking about making so the "bridge" can be easily removed for drain access.

Has anyone remedied this problem or made failed attempts to fix it?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #2

I braced the unsupported area under our shower pan by cutting a piece of plywood which mostly covered the unsupported area. I then braced it with a piece of 2x4. I left the pieces unglued in case I ever need to move or remove them. I was shocked by how much shower pan was left unsupported after Jayco made the cut in the wood to install the drain.

Jump

Jerry Mary and Daisy the Beagle
2022 Alante 29S
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #3

I opened the area under the shower pan when water would not drain from one side even though the TT was level. The minor suggestion I would add to your solution is to place a thin rubber mat (even a shower mat would do) on your "bridge." The pans are made to flex and I would not want the bottom of the pan to constantly "hammer" against a hard surface. I worked in plastic manufacturing and that type of contact will eventually cause hairline cracks to begin to form. Over the years, that might cause more trouble.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:08 PM   #4

Older RVs used a double layered abs pan but newer ones are one piece. I pulled the surround, then the pan on our previous rv for a cracked pan. The floor cutouts are usually too big to support adequately. Fix this then use some rubber horse trailer matting from the farm and ranch supply to replace the Styrofoam.
TomC
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #5

Great Stuff spray foam does an excellent job for this. Just be sure to get the one with minimum expansion. Get a pair of cheap gloves to wear as this stuff is really sticky and won't easily come off your skin. The construction industry uses spray foam with great success.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Great Stuff spray foam does an excellent job for this. Just be sure to get the one with minimum expansion. Get a pair of cheap gloves to wear as this stuff is really sticky and won't easily come off your skin. The construction industry uses spray foam with great success.
I second this motion. Our 29QBS came from the factory with inadequate floor support. Our tub floor sat on a raised platform that only supported 2/3's of the tub. Due to flex, the drain pipe unscrewed on ours as well, leading to a nasty leak when my wife gave the kiddo's a bath.

When our dealer fixed the damage from the leak, they also removed the tub and installed a correct and sufficient platform under the tub. No more leaks. If they weren't going to do that, I was planning to hit the area with spray foam to support it.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
This sounds like a great suggestion, have you used this before? When ever I have used different types of spray foam, it condenses upon contact. I am wondering if this is going to provide enough support or is going to compress when someone steps on the shower pan.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 12-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
This sounds like a great suggestion, have you used this before? When ever I have used different types of spray foam, it condenses upon contact. I am wondering if this is going to provide enough support or is going to compress when someone steps on the shower pan.

I have been using Great Stuff foam since it came on the market in the 80's. I've been in construction (electrical) for 35 years and the use of Great Stuff and similar products is widely used. And no, it will not compress.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #9

Thanks, that is great information. I will go get some to keep on hand and to redo my shower pan support. Always appreciate someone with experience with a product.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:41 AM   #10

Sounds like I better check our shower pan too, before we have any issues, will look for some great stuff tomorrow.
Axel & Sunshine
James & Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #11

Shower pan

The shower pan in our new 2019 23MRB did not have any support beneath it. When I took the trailer in for an issue with the slide I told them about it. It was repaired by placing 2 small, flimsy, wooden braces between the floor and bottom of the pan- very cheap and inadequate. The second time I took it in for a slide repair I told them about it and I was told there is nothing more they can do.
What I am planning to do is to cut pieces of 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe to fit between the floor and the bottom of the pan and place several of them in there for support. I will leave a small gap so they are not too tight. Around the drain area where there is not any plywood on the bottom of the pan I will make a removable brace to support it. I hope it works.
I can not believe how poorly constructed the shower pan is. Without adding support it is destined to break. I am disappointed in Jayco for not installing support for the cheap shower pans they used. As I mentioned before, I already had my new trailer in for warranty work on the slide twice. I hope this is not a bad sign.
Otisthecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #12

I did the 2x4 standing upright and then I used the plastic door shims between the floor and the 2x4 to tighten everything up. Just tap the shim in and you can use a little hot melt glue around the edges so they won’t slid out going down the road. Real easy to remove if need be.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #13

Welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #14

Welcome to the forum, great people and great ideas.

I have the 2017 23MRB and we experienced almost the same thing. In ours, the support was an inch below the pan, so when you stepped on it there was major flexing. I purchased some rubber mats from Harbor Freight (https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-94635.html) and places pieces on the top and bottom of the wood I cut to support the pan. I like Tunce the Traver idea of running some hot glue, I will open up the access hole to see if they have moved.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:17 PM   #15

Thanks for the information and for the welcome. We are new to travel trailers and all help is appreciated. Have you had any other issues with your Whitehawk? We bought our 2019 las year at the end of the season and already had it in 2 times for slide repair. I just got it back this week and I hope it is good now.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Interesting that this thread popped up.. I was feeling some spongieness (is that a word) near the drain in my shower, and thinking it needed some more support. So, I was under there yesterday and saw that there was very little support near the drain.

I measure and cut a 2x4, and slid it in next to the drain, seems to help pretty much. Another one of those WTF issues that Jayco should have addressed...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #17

Spongieness is a very good way to describe the feeling. It was like standing on jello- I never stood on jello but I think it would feel the same. There was not any support at all under my shower pan and I am surprised nothing broke. We used it for a while like that thinking that was how it was supposed to be. It should not be too hard to reinforce but Jayco should have done it. Very disappointing.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #18

I fixed my flimsy shower pan

Today I fixed my flimsy shower pan. I cut about 20 pieces of schedule 40 PVC pipe to fit between the trailer floor and the plywood bottom of the shower pan. I made them about 1/16th of an inch short. I slid them in, standing upright, from the front access panel and positioned them all around the area. Now my shower pan can support a baby elephant if I could squeeze one in! I also made a strong wood support for the drain pipe area and screwed it to the floor. Everything could easily be removed if needed.

It was an easy fix for something that should not have needed fixed.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:48 PM   #19

I fixed mine by putting in a number of upright 2x2's. It's a lot better now. I really love my Greyhawk, but how they do the shower pan is really a neglectful piece of dog doo. Shameful really. The previous statement is me being nice about it. Don't ask me how I really feel.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:15 AM   #20

I had the same problem on the previous trailer. I traded it in before I had a chance to fix it but I was thinking about boxing out the drain area and filling the void with the expanding foam they use on windows and doors thinking that would firm up the whole area. It expands but not enough to deform the shower floor.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote