Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2017, 07:18 AM   #1

Shower Pan Support Needed to Stop Leak

Our shower drain fittings leak when we shower. We tighten them before each use, but after a move or two inside, the pan/floor flexes up and down, especially at the front where the pan/floor is cut to allow access to the drain. This causes the drain to leak. The shower "floor" is the plastic pan, 1/4" MDF like material, and a 1/4" styrofoam layer in between the the pan and the MDF - Very Cheap!

We are considering inserting a 1x4 with 2x4 legs stubbed under the 1x to support the front of the shower floor. We are thinking about making so the "bridge" can be easily removed for drain access.

Has anyone remedied this problem or made failed attempts to fix it?

Equalizer 10K
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #2

I braced the unsupported area under our shower pan by cutting a piece of plywood which mostly covered the unsupported area. I then braced it with a piece of 2x4. I left the pieces unglued in case I ever need to move or remove them. I was shocked by how much shower pan was left unsupported after Jayco made the cut in the wood to install the drain.

Jump

Jerry Mary and Daisy the Beagle
2014 Jayco Greyhawk 29ks
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #3

I opened the area under the shower pan when water would not drain from one side even though the TT was level. The minor suggestion I would add to your solution is to place a thin rubber mat (even a shower mat would do) on your "bridge." The pans are made to flex and I would not want the bottom of the pan to constantly "hammer" against a hard surface. I worked in plastic manufacturing and that type of contact will eventually cause hairline cracks to begin to form. Over the years, that might cause more trouble.
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:08 PM   #4

Older RVs used a double layered abs pan but newer ones are one piece. I pulled the surround, then the pan on our previous rv for a cracked pan. The floor cutouts are usually too big to support adequately. Fix this then use some rubber horse trailer matting from the farm and ranch supply to replace the Styrofoam.
TomC
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #5

Great Stuff spray foam does an excellent job for this. Just be sure to get the one with minimum expansion. Get a pair of cheap gloves to wear as this stuff is really sticky and won't easily come off your skin. The construction industry uses spray foam with great success.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Great Stuff spray foam does an excellent job for this. Just be sure to get the one with minimum expansion. Get a pair of cheap gloves to wear as this stuff is really sticky and won't easily come off your skin. The construction industry uses spray foam with great success.
I second this motion. Our 29QBS came from the factory with inadequate floor support. Our tub floor sat on a raised platform that only supported 2/3's of the tub. Due to flex, the drain pipe unscrewed on ours as well, leading to a nasty leak when my wife gave the kiddo's a bath.

When our dealer fixed the damage from the leak, they also removed the tub and installed a correct and sufficient platform under the tub. No more leaks. If they weren't going to do that, I was planning to hit the area with spray foam to support it.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
This sounds like a great suggestion, have you used this before? When ever I have used different types of spray foam, it condenses upon contact. I am wondering if this is going to provide enough support or is going to compress when someone steps on the shower pan.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
This sounds like a great suggestion, have you used this before? When ever I have used different types of spray foam, it condenses upon contact. I am wondering if this is going to provide enough support or is going to compress when someone steps on the shower pan.

I have been using Great Stuff foam since it came on the market in the 80's. I've been in construction (electrical) for 35 years and the use of Great Stuff and similar products is widely used. And no, it will not compress.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #9

Thanks, that is great information. I will go get some to keep on hand and to redo my shower pan support. Always appreciate someone with experience with a product.