Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #1

Sidewall Flex- 2014 26.5HT

I just noticed that when the living room slide is either extended or retracted the trailer sidewall on the rear side of the slide opening of the trailer bows in and out with the slide as it moves. With the slide extended the bow in the wall is noticeable when sighting down the wall from the back of the trailer. With the slide retracted this section of side wall appears straight. By rough measurement I would say this wall is bowing about a half inch.
This slide has been taken in an adjusted 3 times with the third time resulting in the cylinder being replaced.
My question: Has anyone else noticed this flexing on a trailer? It seems like a problem to me, but thought I should be better informed when I take the trailer in for service.
Thanks
Old 03-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #2

This seems like a lot of bowing out to me. Could you answer some questions?

Is the side wall bowing out and in at the middle of the wall or at the bottom or at the top?

You said that "when the living room slide is either extended or retracted" the sidewall bows in and out. So it bows in when retracting it and out when extending it? Or vice-versa?

I'm wondering if the thin Filon siding has come unglued from the substrate and that the wall may not be moving, but the Filon is.

This really sounds to me like an issue you would want to document with pictures and to ask your dealer to fix. Potentially, I think, this is a serious issue which must be fixed correctly. But before you OK repairs, my suggestion would be to thoroughly understand what's wrong and how your dealer would fix it; depending on what is wrong, it may be that a dealer can not fix it.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #3

I am currently on my first winter vacation with this trailer. This morning as we were getting ready to head down the road I placed a 4' straight edge on what seems to be the most bowed out portion. ( basically in the middle of the slide opening in the wall) As the slide started to move in the bow straighten slightly leaving about a 1/4" space on each end of my straight edge. The side wall stayed in that position until the slide fully retracted and the my straight edge had maybe a 1/16" gap on each end.
After watching it I wonder it the wall has a permeant bow in it, and the slide is over extending pushing it even further??
You're right I'm going to document everything as best possible.

This trailer has been disappointing to say the least!!! From surface cracks appearing in the front cap to this - the list goes on and on.