Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #1

Sink Drain Cleaning?

We camp a couple days a month. The wife was concerned the other day because often slight food particles go down the drain in the kitchen sink when she washes the dishes. Her concern was that I need to disconnect the plumbing frequently to clean out the gooseneck.

I said all we need to do is periodically throw an oz or so bleach doen the drain, let it set, and then flush with a gallon or so of water.

I'm not concerned about the bathtub drain since all there is in there is soapy water. What it the normal procedure to clean the kitchen drain, or does it need cleaning at all?

(naturally, its filled with anti-freeze all winter?
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #2

I'm guessing you are referring to the p trap, like your residential drains at home, the food particles should be displaced as the water runs through the plumbing. If the particles are greasy they might cling to the sides of the plumbing and eventually might back up the system. If the non greasy particles stick around then flush the drain with a larger volume of water like a milk pitcher or a pail and it will disturb the settled particles. That is also good practice when winterising and putting anti freeze in the drains. The grease will need some non caustic attention with a grease remover. In both cases you will get an odour. I often drop an enzyme type treatment in the drains when they can be left for a while during non camping periods.
The bathtub and shower drains will build up from soap scum and hair. That's when you use a flexible cable type rooter with the bristles on the end to move the residue. You can find them at dollar stores etc. about 24" long. With all drains a plunger will also help lift the sludge or disturb it and a flush might do the trick.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote