Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #1

Slide Adjustment Help

I need to adjust the slide out on our 2016 Jay Feather. The lower right (facing slide from outside) pulls too tight when open/out. It is tugging on the lower corner of the interior wall a bit too much. The rest of the slide looks good on the other three corners.

It is a rack-n-pinion dual shaft (left/right) model; I believe it is Lippert, but I am not sure. Is there a PDF or other document on the forum, or does someone have the information in another format?

Thank You!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #2

Been reading the LCI online manual; it looks like the bolts on the actuator threaded shaft are the ones I need to work with. Would I tighten them down or extend the shaft length to relieve pressure on the interior wall when slide is out?
Old 01-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #3

I assume you are out of warranty, if not I’d suggest a trip to the dealer.
But...I have an LCI slide manual, probably the same one you have. Pages 14x-15 discuss adjustment but it seems to only adjust in/out travel of the slide as a whole. What you need I think is tweaking the slide extension on one side.
I found this YouTube vid and it seems to address the type of adjustment you are looking for.

Work carefully, these things are heavy.
Let us know how it turns out.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #4

Nice job!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I assume you are out of warranty, if not I’d suggest a trip to the dealer.
But...I have an LCI slide manual, probably the same one you have. Pages 14x-15 discuss adjustment but it seems to only adjust in/out travel of the slide as a whole. What you need I think is tweaking the slide extension on one side.
I found this YouTube vid and it seems to address the type of adjustment you are looking for.

Work carefully, these things are heavy.
Let us know how it turns out.
Thank you! This helped. We got the two bottom edges really dialed in, and the wall is not being stressed anymore (at the base). I am now wondering about the top corners and edges. After our adjustments to the base, the top of the wall seals about 1/4-3/8" tighter than the base. The gaskets are really flattened/super compressed form mid-wall up to the top corner.

Is the wall supposed to seal evenly from top to bottom, or does the top close in tighter for a reason? If I need to back off the top adjustment, how do I do that?

Thanks Again! We are making progress!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #6

The slide out is supposed to close and seal at the top first to prevent water intrusion.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #7

Yes, that's what I was thinking; that makes sense. Now what that top of wall to seal contact is supposed to look like and measure, I do not know. I also do not know what the top seal gap measurement is supposed to be in relationship to the bottom seal gap.

I do know that I got the bottom adjusted to seal tight but not so much that it stresses and tugs on the wall, like it was. It took me and my faithful surgical nurse (aka DW) about an hour to dial it in. For the "out" operation which was extending too far, our adjustment on the shaft nuts was about an inch. For the "in" operation which was tugging the wall on closure, we discovered that the stop can was out about a 1/2" too far; that's why it tugged too hard when we closed the slide. No more wall movement or creaking now!

When we first bought the coach and brought it home, I did call the dealer and explained this problem to the service manager. At that time, the shaft set nut was loose. He told me to tighten the set nut against the bracket and leave the nylock nut alone. He said leave it as the factory set it. That is exactly what I did. He told me it would "break in" without harm. I thought that was a wired, but I had never owned a unit with a mechanized slide. I wish I would have followed my better judgement from knowledge and experience and fixed it back then. Oh well, we got to it before any major damage was done. And we did it without beating the crud out of anything, doing stuff half-baked, or losing our camper for who knows how long to a dealer, where it would sit neglected and/or be haphazardly drug around and poorly handled.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #8

Spray it with a hose and if there are no leaks it sounds like you have all the adjustments correct.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote