Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #1

Slide frame damage??? Jayco reliability

2018 27.5' Eagle HT 5th wheel

I purchased 2 months ago and used once. Prior (and original) owner puchased new and used once or twice.

Has anyone ever heard of the slide frame member getting twisted under normal use, as opposed to being shipped that way?

Service replaced one of the schwintek motors on kitchen slide. Problem still persisted and upon further digging, report that the front side frame member is actually twisted.

As expected (unfortunately) Jayco says I'm on my own. No discussion; no effort to appease a customer or accept any responsibility or even to offer further evaluation to determine IF it actually is a factory install issue.

I've heard of RV manufacturers standing behind their products but apparently JAYCO isn't one of them.

So, back to my original question - is it even possible to twist a schwintek slide frame member such that it creates a binding when moving the slide in and out??

BTW - prior owner says the slide was always "tight" and he had to resynch to schwintek once, despite using the trailer just a few times.

Suggestions on how to proceed with Jayco, other than avoiding them with my next purchase???

Thanks - Stephen
simbriaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:27 PM   #2

As a second owner, Jayco will probably not help. That’s all in buying used.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbriaco View Post

BTW - prior owner says the slide was always "tight" and he had to resynch to schwintek once, despite using the trailer just a few times.

Suggestions on how to proceed with Jayco, other than avoiding them with my next purchase???

Thanks - Stephen
SCHWINTEK motors can require re-sync if they are not fully opened or closed each time, so doing a re-sync once would not be considered a problem. As to JAYCO the warranty is very specific. Only applies to the original owner and apparently it wasn't bad enough for them to request a warranty repair.

No different than buying a used car, when the warranty is up, the warranty is up.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:35 PM   #4

True, Jayco won’t help. And yes, well aware of what buying used means. But also aware that other (better?) manufacturers have taken steps in this type of case to make things right when determined that it is a factory issue. I just read about one such case with Grand Design. It’s not only buying used; it’s who stands behind their respective products.

Obviously Jayco does not
Old 01-26-2021, 05:43 PM   #5
Site Team

Do a search on "Schwintek" here and you will have much to consider. The larger slides of this type seem to have issues.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/s...archid=7613473
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM   #6
Site Team

Here is a you tube video.

Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:18 PM   #7

Have you reached out to SchwinteK to see if they would cover the repair?
Also, not sure what major manufacturer has a warranty remotely close to being as good as Jayco's. Unless by "better" you mean "twice as expensive", in which case they use the same parts and charge double the amount to provide a slightly better warranty experience.

I don't like Schwintek slides because they have a reputation for being finicky. They can apparently get "off track" easily if not fully extended and fully closed every single time. I'm not sure what you mean by "twisted", but that could be what happens when one side is out of whack from the other because it wasn't fully extended or closed properly.

I've got two questions;
If its so out of whack, why didn't the original owner ever get it fixed?
If its so out of whack, why did you buy it that way?

I realize that sounds snarky, and its not meant to be, those are legitimate questions.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:45 PM   #8
Site Team

It's hard to decipher what you mean by twisted "frame member?" Do you mean the sides are not the same or is something bent.

It could be just out of sync.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Have you reached out to SchwinteK to see if they would cover the repair?
Also, not sure what major manufacturer has a warranty remotely close to being as good as Jayco's. Unless by "better" you mean "twice as expensive", in which case they use the same parts and charge double the amount to provide a slightly better warranty experience.

I don't like Schwintek slides because they have a reputation for being finicky. They can apparently get "off track" easily if not fully extended and fully closed every single time. I'm not sure what you mean by "twisted", but that could be what happens when one side is out of whack from the other because it wasn't fully extended or closed properly.

I've got two questions;
If its so out of whack, why didn't the original owner ever get it fixed?
If its so out of whack, why did you buy it that way?

I realize that sounds snarky, and its not meant to be, those are legitimate questions.

not snarky at all. It appears that the schwintek frame member (large slide front end) is slightly twisted fron the top down about 24 inches. The part that the motor and gear teeth sits in. Not sure how, but I DO trust the original buyer. He had no RV experience before this purchase and probably thought a slow slide was normal. And all of my slide experience has been with hydraulic units. So I am getting a 2nd opinion to be sure and then proceeding with repair/replacement of those parts if necessary. I can't imagine the schwintek frame bar twisting from rough road travel, like someone suggested but I can see it being like that from factory, and a newbie owner NOT realizing it. Come on, probably 80% of RVs get maybe 14 days of use per year and this thing is only 2 yrs old!!

That's the only reason I'm disappointed with Jayco.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:02 AM   #10

Also - all through original troubleshooting, no errors codes wahtsoever on the module.

And to clarify my language, it is the H column that appears to have a twist in it
Old 01-27-2021, 11:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbriaco View Post
He had no RV experience before this purchase and probably thought a slow slide was normal.
The SCHWINTEK slides are slow, it's the nature of the beast, they also usually sound like they are laboring. The only time there is an issue would be if one end goes in or out faster than the other and that is where the sync comes in. After a few trips you know what to listen for.

They are also only fastened by one flange on the outside.