Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2021, 05:51 PM   #1

Slide out trim problems

on my 2018 white hawk tt the trim on the bottom of the slide which is a plastic angle. It has slipped out of its holder and is letting water seep into the floor on the bottom of the slide and growing moss. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did they remedy it? Thanks in advance Howard
mwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:16 PM   #2

I'm staring at my 2017 and for the life of me can't see what you can be talking about. Photo perhaps?

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210901_153906.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	75159 here is a horrible picture, getting remnants of hurricane, below the screw head you can see wood showing and the piece below it should be tucked up under the trim under the screw head. I hope this makes sense?
Old 09-29-2021, 01:45 AM   #4

Sounds to me like your slide ski has come undone, just as mine has. You DONT want your floor to get wet. If the slide ski comes loose on the edge, be sure to tape the edge down with some 4" duct tape when the slide is open. Otherwise, rain runs down the side of the slide, collects in the slide ski and wicks water up into your floorboard of the slideout. Thats the issue Im having (along with other prob like misalignment of my slide tearing up the slide seals at the top) but thats another topic. Definitely look to see if your slide ski is attached or if it has come loose from under the metal lip on the slideout, youll need to get that addressed quickly or the floorboard (cheap partical board) will get wet, swell, and rot in a hurry. Duct tape is a good solution, but beware of the glue remnants that can build up and cause it to stick. Its a tricky solution, but a necessary one until you can accurately diagnose what is going on with the slide ski. Google or Youtube slide ski issues on slideouts and you will quickly understand what Im talking about. Ive got my fingers crossed that Jayco will fix my issues on our TT that is currently nearly the end of season 2. Hope the 2+3 will still get ours fixed under warranty.
FILMTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:14 AM   #5

It's hard to see in the picture but it doesn't look like the screws were holding it in. There's not rip in the trim. Maybe just tucked and glued? IDK. I know I wouldn't work the slide a lot until you figure it out. What does it look like when the slide is in?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
It's hard to see in the picture but it doesn't look like the screws were holding it in. There's not rip in the trim. Maybe just tucked and glued? IDK. I know I wouldn't work the slide a lot until you figure it out. What does it look like when the slide is in?

Tucked and glued is probably correct from what I have seen and reviewed. It typically will tuck under the metal strip that is on the outside bottom corner of the box. That strip is held to the side of the box with the screws you see in your pic. My slide ski looks like it was custom cut (and not a very straight cut at that) so Im not surprised that it would have pulled away. Its really a very common defect industry wide, but Im not sure what else could be done to mitigate the problem. A temporary solution when camping is to run a strip of duct tape along the seam of the box to act like an extension of the sides of the box to form a drip ledge which will drain the water away from the bottom edge of the box. My slide ski will definitely need replaced, along with the outer seal and the flap seal as well as having the box recalibrated so that it slides in and out smoothly. Working the slide in and out is held to a minimum at this time for sure.
FILMTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:03 PM   #7

Same thing happened to me on my Pinnacle…luckily I caught it before it rotted the floor too much…replaced 8 inches of outside edge of floor….took wife and I about 16 hours from start to finish….the slide ski does not wrap around and under the trim enough for the trim screws to hold it under the trim…bad design…..

I was finally able to post a few pics on my thread ref floor repair…
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:48 PM   #8

Thanks for the help, I was really hoping to get a piece of runner that I could tuck up under the trim and re secure. I'll be winterizing this weekend and will have the winter to try and find a new piece of runner to replace those that have popped out and causing me grief. And thanks again for the help
Old 10-01-2021, 05:26 AM   #9

You can buy new slide skis on Amazon or probably a local RV dealer…but they will not be any different…before I put the metal trim back on I took some short roofing nails and secured it in several places to hold it tight against my new floor I replaced….then rechaulked the seam between the ski and slide siding….then reinstalled the metal trim after I totally filled the backside with no sag RV chalking to be sure the seam and screw holes were covered well….I don’t think any more water will get inside now but I will check it every time I open or close the slide from now on….don’t want to go through another floor replacement….

The slide skis can be difficult to get out from under the slide but can be done…takes lots of time and patience…pull out and reinstall from the inside once loose….but not easy….best of luck to you….
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Old 12-31-2023, 10:20 AM   #10

What did you end up doing to fix your slide out floor issue? We bought a used 2018 whitehawk 24mbh from dealership in 2021 and recently 2023 left slide out open for 3 months for family visiting. I noticed a sagging of slide out floor and looks like we have the same issue. When cleaning it and bringing slide out in, the inside edge of slide out floor has pulled away from slide out wall corners. I’m thinking the edges are rotted. What did you end up doing? Before I slid it in, I had a mobile rv repair guy come do some other preventative maintenance and we noticed the floor from the outside. He put screws in each side and silicone caulked it to keep more water from entering. Said it will dry out eventually. Floor probably damaged a couple inches in, but the fix should hold. Instructed to always check the seal there too. Then I brought slide out in a couple weeks later and fix did NOT hold. He mentioned you can’t really replace just the edges of the subfloor. Typically the whole sub floor needs replaced. I feel like this is a manufacturing issue but by now, the trailer is 5 years old. Idk what to do.
jenniiferkcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 04:34 PM   #11

Jennifer… at a NFL game… will get back to you later this evening….
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Old 01-01-2024, 10:08 AM   #12

Jennifer…it’s a long process….i replaced 8 inches of the slide floor from the end that leaked…took my wife and I about 16 hours to complete….i had to get a special tool I didn’t own yet on the farm to complete the job….unless you have the tools and ability to fix things ( disassemble and put it back together) I would leave it to a professional….and yes….they want to replace the whole slide floor….i just considered it not necessary after pulling the carpet up and evaluating the damage from both outside and inside… I do have a wood and tool shop on the farm …which you will need to do the job yourself….so far my repair has help up well…even though it might not be considered perfect….