Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #61

Well, she made the 40+ mile trip to the new place just fine. Or at least it seems that it did. We're gonna be unpacking and getting the house squared away for a bit, so the trailer project is on hold for now.

I was able to lower the awning mount a bit, and whipped up some tapered shims out of aluminum, so I could drive the lag bolts in at an angle. (though it doesn't look like much in the pic, they went in at about a 20* angle) A bit of butyl tape and some Dicor, and it went together just fine. I'll probably swap the bolts later, run some longer ones into the 2x3 I added in there for structure, but it held just fine as is.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1213.jpg  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:49 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girth View Post
Well, she made the 40+ mile trip to the new place just fine. Or at least it seems that it did. We're gonna be unpacking and getting the house squared away for a bit, so the trailer project is on hold for now.

I was able to lower the awning mount a bit, and whipped up some tapered shims out of aluminum, so I could drive the lag bolts in at an angle. (though it doesn't look like much in the pic, they went in at about a 20* angle) A bit of butyl tape and some Dicor, and it went together just fine. I'll probably swap the bolts later, run some longer ones into the 2x3 I added in there for structure, but it held just fine as is.
Nice catch up, seems to be going reasonably well despite having to move and all.
Perhaps sistering a block of 2X4 to the 2X2 to anchor the awning mount to could work, or an L bracket attached to the 2X2 to bolt the awning to. Just a thought.
Touching on the older TT as mentioned, even though ours is 14 years old it was relatively unused (in a good way) and has been trouble free for the 4 years we have had it.
Seems to me, or maybe it's just the demographic of ownership on here, that the newer units have more factory based issues than the older. Could be as someone mentioned that with the popularity of RVing now that they are having issues with quality control pushing out units faster than they can be checked for maladies.
That said friends of ours have a relatively new Coleman and it had some teething pains but they lived in it for nearly a year and have used it in some pretty nasty, northern Canadian winter, weather conditions when he was working there. It might just be Jayco
Keep up the good work, thoughts are with you and seems to be plenty of support for you here. Good luck and congratulations on the new home
Mach1tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #63

Girth,
Congratulations on the new house!
I am having a similar issue and your post has been a tremendous help. Today I stripped the bathroom and started to take the paneling off.
Craig
FlaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:38 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaCamper View Post
Girth,
Congratulations on the new house!
I am having a similar issue and your post has been a tremendous help. Today I stripped the bathroom and started to take the paneling off.
Craig
Well sad to say, it's been over a month and I haven't touched the trailer.... and I don't really feel the motivation to do so. It'll probably make a good winter project, but we've been busy enough getting the house squared away. I've gone through a few tubes of OSI Quad so far on the house. Christmas tree up today, as well as lights on the house.

I'm glad the thread has been of help, or if nothing else motivation to show that it CAN be done. These things aren't really built that well, so if you're relatively handy and methodical, chances are you can make it better than it was.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:06 PM   #65

Motivation. You need motivation? The drive you have to get this problem fixed is a lot more than i have seen in a long time. You have been very inspirational to many people on this forum including myself. Keep it up. Best of luck to you. Happy new year to you and your family.
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:03 PM   #66

I have a 2015 154BH Baja bought brand new off the lot in I believe 2016.
Just discovered the sponginess to the left of the toilet (towards the bunks). Seems like I may be up the creek as I have way too much in the way of projects to undergo another project of this magnitude. I am really curious how yours finally ended up.
BillFlippen is offline   Reply With Quote