Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #1

Soft floor in 2010 Jayco JaySeries 1207

We've owned this trailer for 2 years now. We've only taken it on 4, maybe 5 trips. Last year we noticed that the floor maybe felt a little soft towards the back - near the step to enter the back bunk. But it was late in the season and the weather was turning here in MI. We took it to my in-laws, and stored it inside for the winter. When we opened it up today, that area of the floor was much worse. Softer, and a larger area.

We were planning to sell it and upgrade this year, but now I'm not sure what to do. You can see in the picture that the area of the floor to the upper left is darker. That is all soft. The crank has plate steel under it, so I'm not worried about that. However, I thought this may not be a bad repair until I took out the cabinets to discover the whole lift system. I would love to get some feedback on how to approach this problem. We have one or two ideas as to what the source of the leak is, but and not 100% on that yet.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200611_192628093.jpg  
thelahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #2

Keep searching this sight and you will find yours answers, look also on popup portal for info. Good luck!
Rbriggs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs03 View Post
Keep searching this sight and you will find yours answers, look also on popup portal for info. Good luck!
<sigh> I have been. And on Popup Portal. I just don't feel like I'm finding what I need. I'm kind of assuming that it will be a massive PITA to detach that lift mechanism. Do I try to work around it? Is the vinyl glued down? Can I cut the edges and peel it back? What is this floor even made of? Jayco calls it Structurwood - is that just plywood? is that the Sandwich floors people talk about? The Darco fabric underneath - Is there a way to patch that if I cut it during the process?

I've been watching youtube videos too. Some of it is helpful, some not. Still lots of unanswered questions. I'd like this to not looks like a crazy hillbilly repair when I get done.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Structurewood is a flooring underlayment used in home construction. Like OSB. Here's a link to it.

https://edc.envisionoptions.com/opti...onid=100013373

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Structurewood is a flooring underlayment used in home construction. Like OSB. Here's a link to it.

https://edc.envisionoptions.com/opti...onid=100013373
thx, very helpful. I started the restoration this weekend. I'm sure this stuff is cost effective and rigid when dry, but once wet it becomes like a sponge. Total garbage. The section I cut out is getting replaced with pressure treated plywood. I found the intrusion source too. Was pretty obvious once we saw the area that was damaged the most.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:48 AM   #6

Soft floor

How are you replacing the piece that goes under the wall?
Rbriggs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:36 AM   #7

Fortunately, the rot was limited to the part that goes under the rear wall (only 2/3 across the back of the camper). The side wall was solid. For the rear wall, I used a putty knife to clear the debris from under the wall and a vac to remove it. I then cut my replacement floorboard to be about 1-1/4" longer to tuck under the the wall. One thing to watch out for is any fasteners hanging down will need to be accounted for - either backed out and refastened, or notched around.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:05 PM   #8

soft floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelahs View Post
We've owned this trailer for 2 years now. We've only taken it on 4, maybe 5 trips. Last year we noticed that the floor maybe felt a little soft towards the back - near the step to enter the back bunk. But it was late in the season and the weather was turning here in MI. We took it to my in-laws, and stored it inside for the winter. When we opened it up today, that area of the floor was much worse. Softer, and a larger area.

We were planning to sell it and upgrade this year, but now I'm not sure what to do. You can see in the picture that the area of the floor to the upper left is darker. That is all soft. The crank has plate steel under it, so I'm not worried about that. However, I thought this may not be a bad repair until I took out the cabinets to discover the whole lift system. I would love to get some feedback on how to approach this problem. We have one or two ideas as to what the source of the leak is, but and not 100% on that yet.
I have a 2010 starcraft?jayco 1223 /1207 my floor had the same issue in the exact same spot !(hot water tank leak ) or the fact that the plastic bottom was not sealed to the chip board and sagged causing moisture to sit in the void and soak into the wood causing it to turn to porridge !
I replaced the whole floor with 5/8 T&G and 3 cotes of black roofing membrane on bottom 3 cotes off Kilz primer on top and new vinyl !
all screws sealed with polyurethane sealer and ice shield around openings and wheel wells!
Coastbusdriver is offline   Reply With Quote