Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #1

Strange electrical issue

Yesterday one of my kids was flipping switches in my control panel trying to turn on the cabin lights and the power converter breaker tripped causing the cabin lights and the AC to go off. I reset the breaker and the AC came back on as well as the cabin lights, but the lights only seemed to come back on at 50%. I reset the breaker multiple times, I reset the post breaker multiple times but the lights last night never returned to normal brightness. All other electrical components seem to be working normally.

Then sometime during the night the AC lost all power. I have reset everything again, even moved the power cord to the 50 amp plug using my dogbone and neither the man cabin lights nor the AC have power, everything else seems to be fine. So is it possible something was damaged on the power converter board that is only affecting those systems? Doesn’t make sense to me why just those two areas are affected and everything else appears to be working normally.

Of course now is the time when I plan to use our camper very frequently in the next couple of months and it will probably be 2 months before I can even get my camper in to the dealer. It is still under warranty, this is year 2, but I don’t want to be down my camper waiting, but will I void my warranty if I have someone else work on it sooner? My gut says if I replace my power converter that may be the issue, just not sure I am comfortable hooking it up. Thanks in advance for any input!
jp_brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #2

The lights are on 50% on just A/C or when running off the batteries too?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #3

They were running at only 50% when plugged into power, they would dim further when I flipped the power converter breaker or the main power breaker. I didn’t test the lights specifically with the AC off, but I did cycle the AC power as well and didn’t see any differences in the lights.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #4

What voltage are you getting at the pedestal? What voltage are you getting on the load side of the converter? We need more information.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #5

The lights run off 12 volts which is fed by the battery which in turn is charged by the converter. For the lights to be dim I would guess the battery is very low and the converter is not charging it.

I always recommend that all RVers carry voltmeters. You can never know what is going on with your electrical system without a volt meter. They are cheap.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
What voltage are you getting at the pedestal? What voltage are you getting on the load side of the converter? We need more information.

It would help, too, if you'd include your RV year and model.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #7

I have a multi meter but unfortunately I did not have it with me. I am back in town now and I have already put the camper away. The issue did not affect all the lights, only the main cabin lights, lights anywhere else in the Coach were normal brightness. All other electrical systems functioned normally at tear down this morning still, but no power to the thermostat and the main coach lights had no power. Usually even when the thermostat is set to off, it will say Off, but it said nothing this morning.

I should have had a multimeter handy but I didn’t, I took pics of what I am assuming is the power converter. There was some unit in a compartment just below my breaker panel. It just seems very strange that all the other electrical systems seemed to function fine except the main cabin lights and the thermostat.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #8

It is a 2017 Jay flight 33RBTS.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:59 AM   #9

So trying to do a little research on my issue, unfortunately without hooking up a voltmeter to it just yet, but the symptoms seem to point to a converter issue of some sort. What doesn't make sense though is that no other electrical systems were impacted, ONLY the main coach light only and the thermostat all lost power. The power outlets, lights in other parts of the cabin, and the battery all seemed fine. The battery still showed full charge and was able to operate the tongue jack when disconnected from power.

I guess it is possible part of the converter failed, not the whole converter? It has a WFCO converter in it, and the feedback on here suggests those are junk. There is a direct replacement option from Progressive Dynamics, I am thinking about just changing out the power converter and moving along despite my camper being under warranty, but will that void my warranty if I replace that myself? The reviews on the product make it sound like an easy process, pulling the old power converter out, there seemed to be more connections that looked "easy", but maybe I was just overcomplicating it.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #10

Your cabin lights may have a bad switch, ground or the wire running to it from the converter panel may be the problem. Or it may be the connection to the panel.

Start at the panel and check the voltage and then work through the system.

Also, check your battery, battery cable connections. Watch for corrosion on the posts or fuse.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote