Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2020, 08:46 PM   #1

Strange issue with fridge (not cooling - but only periodically)

Fridge model: Norcold N8X
Travel trailer: Jayco Jay Flight 284BHS

I've been having an issue with my fridge for the past few weeks, since right around the time I got into New Mexico. I've done a lot of reading trying to figure out what the issue is, but to no avail. The problem is like I said in the title of the thread. The fridge will cool things appropriately some of the time, but it's periodically shutting off, ruining all the perishables we have. It's extremely frustrating because at least if it just stayed off, I wouldn't keep buying more meats and cheeses only to have them ruined.

The fridge doesn't give an error code on either electric power or propane power. On electric power, I can feel that the boiler part in the back is heating up, and on propane, I can see and hear the flame. There's no ammonia smell, and there's no weird looking dust or particles or anything like that in the back that would indicate some kind of leak. There's a bit of dust but nothing that looks out of the ordinary, it's just not spotless, you know? If it helps I can post a picture.

I've tested the thermistor with a multimeter and the readings it gives me are pretty close to what the manual says it should read, and it reacts to changes in temperature when I grasp it in my hand. About an hour ago, I unplugged the thermistor and I'm waiting to see if the fridge gets super cold, as I read that by default the fridge will work on maximum without a thermistor present.

Also, the fridge is level, as is the rest of the trailer. For a few days it was off-level and I leveled it properly when I read that this could cause serious damage to the fridge. I'm really REALLY hoping it's not permanently damaged.

Right now I think it could be one of a couple things:

1. There might be some kind of problem with the thermistor that isn't readily apparent from testing the resistance? I'm not sure about this one.

2. The park I'm at doesn't have much shade, and the sun shines directly onto the back panel for a significant portion of the day. The outside temperature has been around 70 lately, so I'm not sure about this one either, but maybe the UV plays a role in this effect or something?

3. The elevation here is about 3300 feet above sea level. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the fridge either, because it ran fine when we were up in Colorado and about 1500 feet higher up, but we also didn't have the problems with direct sunlight there.

Really I'm just at a loss to explain why it works for days, then stops working, then starts working again for no apparent reason. I've searched everywhere to find out about why this might be but to no avail. Maybe I'm searching the wrong key words or something but I can't find anyone else who's having this issue.
trentkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #2

I had an experience similar to you. Our Norcold wasn’t cooling when the sun was on the fridge side. Turns out the circulation fans behind the fridge had died. In shade the fridge was ok but in sun it couldn’t keep up. Amazon had replacement fans and they solved the problem.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I had an experience similar to you. Our Norcold wasn’t cooling when the sun was on the fridge side. Turns out the circulation fans behind the fridge had died. In shade the fridge was ok but in sun it couldn’t keep up. Amazon had replacement fans and they solved the problem.

Man I would LOVE it if this were the case in my fridge! That'd be such an easy fix! This might be a dumb question but where can I find the circulation fans at to check them? I'm reading the manual for the N8X and I'm a little confused about the location of the plugs for the fans. Any additional information about this fan stuff would be great.

If I can't easily reach or easily replace the circulation fan, do you know how powerful of a battery-powered fan I'd need? I read somewhere that you can do that but I don't want to buy one and have it be too weak.
trentkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:45 AM   #4

Our fridge is in a slide so it has 2 vents on the wall, one low and one just above the top of th fridge. Ours has 2 fans and they are about 2/3rds of the way up. Not accessible without pulling the fridge out of its cubby. Our fridge is a bigger 4 door type, took 2 people to get it out n back in.
The fans are 12V computer-type vent fans and are wired to a 12V source on the back of the fridge, there’s a thermocouple on the fins at the top of the fridge that controls them. I can hear them “whirring” from the lower vent.
There’s been several folks that mount fans in the lower and/or upper vent to help air circulation. Searching the forum should turn some up.
I did some googling and found a service manual for my fridge, I’d suggest trying that. Norcold “model #” worked for me. IIRC my model was 1210.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote