Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #1

Angry Suspension issues/tire wear

2017 Jayco Jay Flight 245RLWS Baja Edition
Approximately 3000 miles
CAT scale weight loaded (1/3rd fresh tank) 5520. GVW 7000.

Drivers side rear tire (dual axle) is visibly canted in from the top. All others are ok.
Tread wear is obvious on the inside of that tire.

Passenger side spring pack is flat. Using MORryde 3000 spring hangers and MORryde heavy duty wet bolt upgrade.
Distance between the tires.... drivers side is 5 1/2". Passenger side is 4".
I cannot visible see any indication of spring or axle movement (front to back) that would make that distance separation.

This trailer (and I) live in Baja California Mexico......1000 miles away from the selling dealer in Las Vegas.
I called a trusted service writer there and he said most likely a bent axle.
I have popped a couple of potholes before.

The trailer is 15 months old.
The last thing I want to do is tow it back to Las Vegas at substantial fuel costs and eat my spare, if at all avoidable. The highway in Baja Mexico is a mess right now with mine fields of potholes and my route takes me across 22 miles of rough and rocky dirt road.

There is a mechanic/fabricator here that builds utility trailers from scratch.
I will talk to him in the coming days and see if he can find the problem and fix it.

Opinions please? What is going on. The flat spring pack and the 1 1/2" tire distance variance has me in a tissy.

See attached photos
003 flat springs
006 Lippert axle tag
007 drivers side springs
009 Worn tire (flipped on the rim to get home/wear was on the inside)
010 VIN
011 Yellow sticker
Attached Thumbnails
003.jpg   006.jpg   007.jpg   010.jpg   011.jpg  

009.jpg  
Old 03-27-2018, 08:23 AM   #2

Wow! That really does not look good. I mean the shackles on the MORryde should be at an outward angle but are vertical. I know hauling it back to the dealer would be a pain but if it's still under warranty, that's what I would do cuz it appears to be to be a fairly expensive fix...sorry to say. I wish you the best of luck because I do know this kinda thing is very frustrating. Have you checked to see if the springs have cracks?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #3

I went through this exact same issue last year. Coincidentally enough, my trailer weighs the same as yours and the axles were 3500 pounders as well. The driver's side rear tire was scrubbing off badly on the inside. Took it to a trailer and axle shop and they told me the rear axle tube had bent.

Even though the 3500s work in theory, they are working too hard for trailers as heavy as ours. I never overloaded or abused mine but the axle bent anyways.

The suggested solution, and the one I ultimately ended going for, was to replace both axles with heavier duty ones. I believe the axle beam is 2 5/8" on the 3500lb and I went up to a 3" beam which is for the 5 or 6K axle. That thickness of beam generally comes with 6 bolt hubs but since I didn't want to buy new wheels they affixed brand new 5 bolt hubs and brakes to them for me. Now I don't have to worry about it happening again, which I believe would have had I just done a direct replacement.

My leaf springs were never laid out flat like yours are though. That makes me wonder if there is something else going on.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #4

Troutslayer......

A cursory look at those springs does not show any cracks.

You are correct about the MORrydes not being correct.
The other side (drivers) is more normal looking...with the springs arced upwards.

Right now, I don't know if the 4" separation between the tires (passenger side) is the standard or 5 1/2" (drivers side) is correct.
I can see no outward signs of either side moving forward or backward.

But would that cause the inside of the drivers side tire to wear and be negative toed in?

Yep....I am fully on puzzled right now.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post

I believe the axle beam is 2 5/8" on the 3500lb and I went up to a 3" beam which is for the 5 or 6K axle.

Skybound.....
Not sure what you mean by "beam"?
Is that the same as the diameter of the round axle itself?
Old 03-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #6

I would send those pictures to Jayco along with your VIN and explain what is going on and the distance from your dealer. They may approve it to be repaired locally, you may have to submit an estimate first. Good Luck.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #7

Yeah it's the diameter of the round tube that spans between the two hubs. It should have a slight arch to it.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #8

I replaced all my springs due to failed one last season. On further inspection I had the same issues with flat leafs. You are going to have a failure at some point with the springs being flat like that.

Agree that sending pictures with documentation of what is occurring to Jayco first and see where it leads is the right course of action.

Springs are cheap enough and an increase in weight capacity by 500# would most likely solve your issues. If one side is flat and the other concave the flat side is going to be out of line creating the scrub on the tire your having occur.

The main key is getting all 4 springs to match. You cannot replace just 1. You must replace by axle in full pairs. Not a hard job to do if your somewhat handy.

It's poor workmanship on the spring manufacturer or overloaded conditions.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, axle, springs, worn tire