Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #1

tankless water heater problem

Has anyone experienced the water heater working showing 124 degrees F, but, actual temperature at the faucets are around 88 degrees. It appears that cold water is leaking into the hot somewhere after the heat exchanger. Anyone experienced this previously.
PaulHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHi View Post
Has anyone experienced the water heater working showing 124 degrees F, but, actual temperature at the faucets are around 88 degrees. It appears that cold water is leaking into the hot somewhere after the heat exchanger. Anyone experienced this previously.
Can you hear the burner coming on? Also, if I recall, a little flame shows up on the readout when the burner is on.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:22 AM   #3

tankless water heater problem

The light goes on and the burner works fine.

There appears to be a bypass somewhere that is letting in cold water when the hot is all the way on. If you start adding cold water, the heater may shut down due to lower flow through the heat exchanger. Frankly, I have trouble understanding how you can add additional cold water to it without the flow through the heat exchanger shutting down due to low flow.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Do you have an outside shower? Make sure both valves are turned off. Water can mix if the valves are open, but the valve at the head is closed.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:26 AM   #5

Low city water pressure can and will effect the opereation of the tankless. I would preform this test with 1) The fresh water pump in operation only. 2) City water only. 3) City water with pump assist. I can align the water for dry camping, connect city water, and turn on the pump if needed.

I have dealt with techs at Gerrard (very helpful) and yes we had to have ours replaced (4hrs to replace by the dealer) and it is a major difference in temp. No adjustment for temp control on the Gen 3 tankless unit itself. The manual shows a white knob (water flow) on the back of the unit and I can see it when replacing the house canister filter, but way to far in there to reach.

** Mixing type facuets must be at full hot water only. Any manual mixing of cold will not allow the tankless heater to operate correctly. If your water is to hot or to cold adjust the temp at the control panel only.

1) The DW has on occasion had the shut off valve on the shower head (inside the RV) in mid position and that caused issues taking a shower.

2) My house canister filter clogged once (reduced flow pressure) and now we use additional filters. Depending on the quality of water I will use dual blue torpedo type filters in addition to changing the house filter often(r).

3) By tech at Gerrard the only adjustment to the Gen 3 is the temp control panel inside bathroom.

All my faucets inside the RV are mixing type (Yuck). The only true testing is at the outside flushing connection. You will need a stopwatch, meat thermometer, and a 5gal bucket.

1) Remove the spray head on the outside flushing station.
2) Cold water only, record the cold water temp (this is your ground water temp)
3) Hot water only, record the max temp (during filling the bucket)
4) hot water only, record the time it takes to fill the 5gal bucket, full stream (hot water)

Simple testing. Remember to preform these test three ways. As stated before ensure the filters are new (or removed for testing purposes). After you have those recordings, call Gerrard and discuss with them on actions.

Good Luck !!

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #6

Thanks for the ideas. I will do a more complete test. However, my non-mixing faucet in the bath room shows about 88 degrees when the water heater is showing 124 degrees F.

I have good pressure everywhere and presently do not have a water filter installed.

I have checked and adjusted the white knob on the water heater. Interestingly, it is fully open and shows 124 degrees on the controller. However, if you reduce the flow with the white knob, it won't work at all. So the knob must remain fully open.

I will try the bucket testing and see what I find. Thanks Paul
Old 12-01-2019, 12:22 PM   #7

I HATE my tankless water heater, period . My 25 year old camper had a tank water heater that was oh so much better.

I found a problem with my bathroom sink getting any hot water at all. Turned out that the flow restrictor that was installed was too restrictive and would not allow enough flow for the tankless to fire up. I changed the restrictor and now, if I want to wait until the cows come home, hot water will appear at the sink.

To wash dishes in the sink I have to first turn the hot fully on and then slow it down just a bit to get the hottest water I can. At full flow it appears the water heater can't keep up and the temp drops a tad. If I slow it down a bit the water gets hotter.

Showers while dry camping is a challenge. I set the tankless to 100 degrees and only use the hot valve. This mostly works.

If the water in my tank is really cold the water heater has a harder time getting it up to 124 degrees. While it is heating, the display will show the output water temp which isn't holding at 124.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I HATE my tankless water heater, period . My 25 year old camper had a tank water heater that was oh so much better.
I found a problem with my bathroom sink getting any hot water at all. Turned out that the flow restrictor that was installed was too restrictive and would not allow enough flow for the tankless to fire up. I changed the restrictor and now, if I want to wait until the cows come home, hot water will appear at the sink. To wash dishes in the sink I have to first turn the hot fully on and then slow it down just a bit to get the hottest water I can. At full flow it appears the water heater can't keep up and the temp drops a tad. If I slow it down a bit the water gets hotter. Showers while dry camping is a challenge. I set the tankless to 100 degrees and only use the hot valve. This mostly works.
If the water in my tank is really cold the water heater has a harder time getting it up to 124 degrees. While it is heating, the display will show the output water temp which isn't holding at 124.
I had a tankless in my North Point and when I ordered my Pinnacle, Jayco no longer offered the tankless option. Now I'm glad they didn't!! My 10 gallon electric/gas tank is far superior!
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 12-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #9

We have had numerous problems from our Gen 3 Girard. One more and I'm changing it to a tank.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #10

Interesting that so many have had issues with their Girard water heater. I replaced my 10 gallon water heater with the tankless and have been pleased with it. I do have residential faucets throughout our trailer so we get plenty of flow.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Interesting that so many have had issues with their Girard water heater. I replaced my 10 gallon water heater with the tankless and have been pleased with it. I do have residential faucets throughout our trailer so we get plenty of flow.
Good flow is the determining factor on the tankless performance. But when we had the tankless and were at CG's that had very low water pressure it struggled.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 12-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHi View Post
Thanks for the ideas. I will do a more complete test. However, my non-mixing faucet in the bath room shows about 88 degrees when the water heater is showing 124 degrees F.

I have good pressure everywhere and presently do not have a water filter installed.

I have checked and adjusted the white knob on the water heater. Interestingly, it is fully open and shows 124 degrees on the controller. However, if you reduce the flow with the white knob, it won't work at all. So the knob must remain fully open.

I will try the bucket testing and see what I find. Thanks Paul
Do you have an outside shower? If the shower head is off but the faucets are on, the water will mix, did with me anyway, took me ages to realise what was wrong!
JonathanCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #13

Ah, the endless on-demand water heater issue. I have a first-generation model and it is difficult to control if the incoming water temp changes, requires sufficient water pressure to operate, which we don't always have, and wastes water because it takes longer to get hot water (more water must go thru the heating unit) at the faucet, and the control is not convenient to the shower which is probably where the fluctuating temps are most annoying. Given all that we like it mainly because we rarely dry camp and we do have endless hot water and not have a water heater running all the time means that we use far less propane that we did with a regular water heater.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #14

Tankless water heater

It was always a problem getting it to work right. As mentioned water pressure in various rv parks plus my own inline pressure valve always caused problem. I was able to control the right pressure by adding my own water pressure controller with gauge on the outside supply faucet and it did the trick . Only problem, I had to chain it up to the spicket to avoid having it stolen.
The ONLY main advantage that we found with tankLess heather is that we could take 1/2 hr showers without worrying about running cold. That was a plus !!!!
Old 12-21-2019, 07:10 PM   #15

Smile Girard Tankless Hot Water Heater

IN response to post from PaulHi: We suffered with the same issue on our 2017 Pinnacle for nearly a year before finding one of the problems. Propane regulators installed by factory lacked 2 pounds from being needed pressure to fire the furnace. Propane company in Wyoming found this issue and after some back and forth with Jayco they paid for the replacement of the Chinese regulators. This helped but still did not have hot water in the shower. Summer of 2019 I finally found inspection port behind shower, (in the tiny towel storage) I took off the inspection and found that the factory had the hot and cold water lines reversed on the single lever shower. This was major since cold and off were in the same location, thus with hot on the cold you had no hot water coming in. I purchased a 2 handled shower fixture and put the lines on the correct connections. Good hot water ever since. I mentioned to Jayco they needed to do an eye test of their plumbing staff, making sure they new the difference in red and blue. Good luck.
beaglepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #16

Response to your Question about your Tankless Water Heater

I have the same water heater in a 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 29ME. I had the same problem and while at the Perry annual event, I had a factory rep look at my heater. He said setting it at 124 degrees causes the problem you described. He suggested that I set it at 115 degrees and install an efficient shower head with an on/off switch. I didn't believe him; but in fact, he was correct. I still would prefer a tank water heater but until this one burns out I'll stick with it..
billbeyer is offline   Reply With Quote