Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Yes, that's exactly correct.

I check the roof twice a year. That includes going up on it and going over every single section with a finger and a fingernail.

So far I have seen no spots where the caulk has peeled from the rubber roof, nor any section that has cracked.

In other words, if someone were to say "Time to re-caulk" I wouldn't know what spot to do it to..!

So, now I'm in a quandary.....
As long as you are checking it and everything looks good there is nothing more to do. You are one of the lucky few who have not had to do any repairs to the roof
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
As long as you are checking it and everything looks good there is nothing more to do. You are one of the lucky few who have not had to do any repairs to the roof
My old trailer (currently our "guest House") was about 30 years old before i ever had to do any roof maintenance. It has a metal roof, with a seam every 4 feet. After finding a very minor leak at a seam, I caulked the seams with a high quality "tar". (that was before I heard of Dicor, et al.) Seems like i need to touch up the tar every year or 2.

When we bought the Jayco I was impressed with the rubber roof and the sealants used at the roof vents and I just "assumed" it would go for many years. So far, that has been the case...
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:00 PM   #23

There is a product out now that takes care of the corners of the RV that is similar to eternabond, I ordered a kit and along with the eternabond on the roof "checking" seals should be a every other year thing, if that.

Ross
Old 03-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #24

Thumbs up

Just a late thanks to all those that offered tips and advice. Took Jayco out for the first trip this season last Wednesday, two days after local campground on nearby lake opened, for a well deserved four day weekend of camping and maintenance. On the roof I went with the Eternabond and the Dicor caulk and the Osi Quad Max for the side caulking. All went well and I feel good knowing that even though everything looked good but weathered on the roof I haven't left it up to fate. That eternabond is something else folks, it is duct tape on steroids!
I also finished plumbing the new high profile toilet with the porcelain bowl and foot flush, Sharkbite fittings may be the greatest invention since sliced bread! We finished up with a thorough wash and wax and now we're ready for much more restful camping the rest of the season. Again, thanks JOF community for all the tips, you folks Rock!
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #25

I'm thinking that this season I'm going to go with Eternabond for my fiver's roof and around vents. Did you learn anything about this "duct tape on steroids" that would make my job easier?
Anyone else have any tips?

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
I'm thinking that this season I'm going to go with Eternabond for my fiver's roof and around vents. Did you learn anything about this "duct tape on steroids" that would make my job easier?
Make sure to purchase the Eternabond roller, it weighs about two pounds and makes this critical step easier. Once the tape is in place it needs to be rolled with pressure as this is how the tape sealant activates for a good bond.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:45 PM   #27

Quote:
I did 99% of my roof last spring. It is sticky, and do ot stretch it as you apply it. Otherwise it is great stuff, did I mention it is extremely sticky.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:00 PM   #28

Quote:
X2 on the roller I bought one off Amazon with the Eternabond and it took some hard pressing, also the axle the roller was on extended outside of the frame it was in making it impossible to roll inside edges set against anything so I had to improvise. I also found it easier to start laying against the inside edge of things like the fan box, antenna base etc and then work it to the outside edge as opposed to going perpendicular. If you cut a long strip peel the backing as you go, especially on a windy day! I learned that the hard way.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoW View Post
There is a product out now that takes care of the corners of the RV that is similar to eternabond, I ordered a kit and along with the eternabond on the roof "checking" seals should be a every other year thing, if that.
How much is the kit.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I did 99% of my roof last spring. It is sticky, and do ot stretch it as you apply it. Otherwise it is great stuff, did I mention it is extremely sticky.
Jagiven,
When you Eternabonded your roof, how did you handle the bulb seals along the roof/side wall and roof/rear wall edges? I am doing the same, but I do not know if I should cover the bulb seals completely, partly, or not at all.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:47 PM   #31

I believe it was just over 120ish shipped. comes in different widths for different size corner trims. In the process of a front end rebuild on my Octane due to an unforseen corner trim leak, and I look everything over twice a year as well.

Ross..
Old 03-29-2018, 06:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoW View Post
I believe it was just over 120ish shipped. comes in different widths for different size corner trims. In the process of a front end rebuild on my Octane due to an unforseen corner trim leak, and I look everything over twice a year as well.

Ross..
I watched the video, looks like a great idea if it holds like the regular Eternabond tape. Corner trim leaks have to be real hard to detect since most of the sealant is hidden under the trim. I store mine inside so it doesn't get much water on it otherwise I would be doing this for sure. Good luck on your repairs.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:03 PM   #33

Thanks, yes they are almost impossible to see, on a sided trailer its a 1/4" thick wad of butyl tape. Waiting on some new panelling from a new Eagle (close match) and re-assembly can begin.
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_14d.jpg  
Old 08-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #34

Proflex RV for me. Wonderful stuff for every seam but the roof. Dicor self-leveling caulk for that, or really do it right with EternaBond.

Proflex RV is so easy to use too.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote