Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #1

Toilet bowl Water leak, maybe?

I have a 2019 Redhawk 25R. It has a Thetford, plastic toilet bowl. It has this plastic valve device on the back, which I assume is some type of valve to flush the toilet by letting water flow. It has a vent tube on the top of it. We were on CG water with a pressure regulator in-line. My DW was cleaning the floor in the Lou and noticed this device was wet, and a few drips were on the floor. I dried it up, we took off to our next stop, with the water pump on and it’s dry. My questions are, what is this device called and does it weep water or is this tube to let air in/out? See photos below, I’m pointing to the tube.
Attached Thumbnails
731F1CD4-FC5F-490F-B34E-24A3ED1043D1.jpeg   F4B94BDA-E19F-4A27-AC1D-52B3CCE52CF6.jpeg  
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #2

That's the toilet flush valve. They do go bad, and I just bought a new one for my toilet (replacement valve #2 in 11 years of owning my trailer).

The original valve on my Thetford began to sporadically leak, but into the bowl. A few times the bowl was close to overflowing. That one lasted about 5 years.

That replacement recently began to leak like yours, and a couple of times quite a bit, enough to see a bit of water running on the floor.

Something I've been doing that I think helps prevent it from leaking is to let the flush pedal snap up when I release it. I believe that gives the valve a more positive "close" signal.

Anyway, when I get my courage up again I'll remove the toilet and replace the valve.

I bought a Beech-Lane replacement valve this last time. It's supposed to be an upgrade of the Thetford valve.

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Re.../dp/B07F2SKLH1
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
That's the toilet flush valve. They do go bad, and I just bought a new one for my toilet (replacement valve #2 in 11 years of owning my trailer).

The original valve on my Thetford began to sporadically leak, but into the bowl. A few times the bowl was close to overflowing. That one lasted about 5 years.

That replacement recently began to leak like yours, and a couple of times quite a bit, enough to see a bit of water running on the floor.

Something I've been doing that I think helps prevent it from leaking is to let the flush pedal snap up when I release it. I believe that gives the valve a more positive "close" signal.

Anyway, when I get my courage up again I'll remove the toilet and replace the valve.

I bought a Beech-Lane replacement valve this last time. It's supposed to be an upgrade of the Thetford valve.

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Re.../dp/B07F2SKLH1
Thanks Bill. We are headed west, to AZ from Fl. I’ll try and order one ahead of one our stops. I guess I have to remove the bowl to replace it? I might just hold on to the part until July when we return. Hope it hold out till then. DW wants a porcelain bowl anyway, perhaps I’ll give in. I just don’t want to add unnecessary weight! I already had to do 200lbs of load Shedding at the weigh-in for this trip!
Old 05-02-2021, 03:34 PM   #4

Hey Johnynorthland,
Just make sure the valve you order is compatible with your Thetford. I think I have the Mark V model. Beech Land has several valves available for different toilets.

But you should probably just make the wife happy and get a porcelain throne. Shedding a few more pounds from your trailer cargo would most likely be worth it. And you won't have to screw around fixing a nasty-ass toilet.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Hey Johnynorthland,
And you won't have to screw around fixing a nasty-ass toilet.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Hey Johnynorthland,
Just make sure the valve you order is compatible with your Thetford. I think I have the Mark V model. Beech Land has several valves available for different toilets.

But you should probably just make the wife happy and get a porcelain throne. Shedding a few more pounds from your trailer cargo would most likely be worth it. And you won't have to screw around fixing a nasty-ass toilet.
Yea, your probably right about that one! But now our shower drain has a leak too! My water alarm went off as I was showering tonight! I had an issue 2 times in the past, the nut connecting to the P trap was loose, but now I found the real issue, the threads are actually cracked! Thanks jayco installer who over tightened it! Off to the Lowe’s across the street in the morning!
Old 05-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #7

Where can I find the model number of my toilet?
Old 05-03-2021, 08:13 AM   #8

I searched on Amazon for Thetford RV toilets and by matching the design and measurement specs I found mine.

Or go to the Thetford website:
https://www.thetford.com/products/toilets/rv-toilets/

But I also got a packet with my trailer when I bought it that had the paperwork for the toilet, too.

By the way, did you check to make sure that the water connection to the valve is not slightly loose? Might try tightening it up first before you tackle the repair job.

And just curious, could it have possibly got frozen sometime over the winter? That will damage the valve, too.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:20 AM   #9

Thanks Bill, you D’ man. As luck would have it, I wound up having to go to a mobile home supplier, in Mariana Florida, to get the P trap and plumbing fittings I needed for my shower leak, and he actually had the valve there. A bit pricey but hey, service with a smile!