Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2024, 06:59 AM   #1

Toilet Sticking - On the Road

Is there an easy DIY fix for a toilet that isn't shutting off? I have limited tools with me and another six weeks on the road.

If we lift up or bump to the side the foot pedal it will shut off. I'm worried at some point that won't work and of course there isn't a shut off at the toilet.

It's a Thetford porcelain toilet.

The solutions I'm finding involve removing the toilet. I'd like to avoid that.

Thank you
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 08:46 AM   #2

Until you get a fix turn off the water pump after each use. Or, it one is there turn off the toilet shut off valve at the toilet.

We always keep ours turned off while traveling in case of a leak.

I would use your phone selfie camera to look under the foot pedal to look for something blocking the spring from working. Spring could be broken or failed or just something stuck up in the mechanism.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 08:56 AM   #3

A quick fix might work. Shut off the water. Pull the foot pedal off the toilet. It is held on by friction so there are no tools needed. Then use a lubricant (such as Vaseline on the "friction areas." On parts 9 and 10 I sprayed some WD-40 into the cracks. It was a short term fix but it got me through a trip. In the end I replaced the valve etc. I don't know if the WD-40 will react with the Orings but it didn't hurt mine for the short time I needed it.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 09:48 AM   #4

I agree with others that state to turn off the water when it isn't required and to try to lubricate the mechanism.

However, in the mean time and prior to a proper repair, I would be tempted to try one of those large RV washing sponges and place it under the foot pedal, even if you have to trim the sponge some. ~CA
Old 06-18-2024, 10:37 AM   #5

We've been turning off the water. It wasn't as big of a deal until now when we're on a site with water and sewer.

I'm going to install a shut off. I'm kicking myself for not doing that years ago.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:27 PM   #6

As luck would have it there is a mobile RV Tech in town. He arrived exactly on time and quickly gave me the bad news. I need to verify but this Thetford does not have an easy to replace valve. Apparently it is only available as part of an assembly which is about 2/3 the cost of a new toilet. He didn't have one, and we'll be gone before be could get one.

He added a cut off, charged me $25 and wished me luck.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:46 PM   #7
Site Team

If I was forced to buy a new one, I would go with a Dometic 320 or 310. Easier to work on and all around a better unit IMO.

At least you have the cutoff valve.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 05:58 PM   #8

We just ran into this issue on a toilet. 2 Weeks in on a 6 week trip. But, we have the Dometic 320. Las Vegas RV Dealer had the valve in stock. Very simple 10 minute repair.
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 06:42 PM   #9

Thanks for the tip. I'm planning on replacing it this fall. Hopefully it will make it another month or two.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
As luck would have it there is a mobile RV Tech in town. He arrived exactly on time and quickly gave me the bad news. I need to verify but this Thetford does not have an easy to replace valve. Apparently it is only available as part of an assembly which is about 2/3 the cost of a new toilet. He didn't have one, and we'll be gone before be could get one.

He added a cut off, charged me $25 and wished me luck.
WOW! I would have thought a service call would be at least $50 plus the cost of the shutoff and labor. Please post his name and town for others needing help.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 09:02 AM   #11

Kim Linnell Grand Marais, Minnesota Area.

1(218) 370-0539

I wish he had a web site.
Old 06-26-2024, 07:34 AM   #12

So I'm going to jinx myself. But the past week of steady use and it's working fine. I'm still going to replace it at the first convenient opportunity.
Old 06-26-2024, 01:51 PM   #13

Toilet issue

1) on the road a friend had foot pedal go bad, took his mechanism apart, found a broken plastic piece, glued it together as a temp fix and two years later it is still working
2) my Thetford just had foot pedal issue and flapper issue while on the road. Decided to buy a new chair height with slow close seat, Seaflo $149. Easy install and better rinse action.

You decide.....
Brians first rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 03:12 PM   #14

I had the same problem.... With same toilet. I gave up after numerous attempts to lubricate. I changed brands... Went with a Dometic 320 since it would fit, and had a much easier seal replacement.
Entire procedure, including adding a shut off valve, took 15 minutes! Added benefit, I fit better on the seat!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 04:41 PM   #15

I had the same problem. Bought a new valve at a dealer and had it fixed while parked in their lot by the time my wife was finished preparing lunch. No tools and didn't remove the toilet. Just a little YouTube time.
tgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 06:50 PM   #16

Currently my plan is a new toilet unless we sell and buy a new TT.

Thank you for all the suggestions.