Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #1

Tongue jack LED light fix

I know the stock tongue jack on the new trailers is junk, but I can't justify replacing something "just because," especially when it still works fine. Except for the LED light on the front.

I noticed on our last trip that the light wasn't working, so I finally got around to looking at it. The cover on the top of the jack is only held on by four screws, so taking that off allows access to the innards of the jack. I checked out the connections for the light, and there was power up to the switch, but nothing past that. That tells me that the problem is with the switch. No power to the light itself, even with the switch on.

The switch is held in place by two clips molded into the cover itself, so opening those exposes the inside of the switch -- just a simple rocker-type switch with a metal piece inside that is either open or closed. I looked at the metal piece and where it makes contact to close the circuit had corroded preventing the metal piece from making contact. I cleaned the corrosion off, put some dielectric grease on it, and put it back together. I turned the light on and it was nice and bright.

Sorry, no photos, and I'm not going to take it apart again just to get some. But I do find it disturbing that we've only had our trailer since early May and this has happened. I guess I should start looking for some way to cover the jack. On a happier note, I don't have to get the dealer involved for a warranty repair.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #2

We purchased our trailer in January. Its the first one I have ever owned which had the power jack. When we took delivery, I noted the LED light worked during the PDI, but the top cover seemed loose. It was in fact broken at three of the screws which hold it on. Then when the time came to connect the truck, the LED had already quit. I noticed the lens on the LED appeared melted (as if it got to hot from inside).
All this was written down by the dealership and when I took the TT back in April to have it de-winterized, the whole jack was replaced under warranty. While at the dealership, I believe I saw how the cover became broken at three of the screws. The tech when crossing between the TV and TT, would place one hand on top of the jack and the other hand on the tailgate of my truck and use the leverage to assist him jumping across the hitch.

Thank you North for your post it is something I will look at to ensure my switch and LED continues to work.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #3

I cover mine with a small black trash can when not towing. This way it keeps it out of the sun and rain. After I unhook the cord from the truck it hangs over the jack and then the trash can goes over the top. Hopefully it'll help make it last longer.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #4
Site Team

If you keep it out of the weather it will not corrode. Many put a small plastic can over it when stopped or use a plastic bag or some other type cover when moving.

I worked on one a few weeks ago that had a corroded connection on the resettable breaker,
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #5

I purchased a golf shoe bag that has a draw string on it. I have had it on my tongue jack for 7 years now. I rarely take it off as I know where the switch is located by feel.
I have not had an issue with my tongue jack other than blowing a fuse once in a while.
My golf shoe bag cost about $11.00 (if I remember correctly).

Just another choice if you decide to cover your tongue jack.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #6

Yup, covering the jack seems to be important. A fellow at the storage lot had problems with his and discovered the gearbox full of water and the gears beginning to corrode. I used to cover mine with a storage bag from one of those cheap folding camp chairs that broke.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #7

Tongue Jack issues - 2016 -Jayco 29BHDS

My stock tongue jack and light stopped working when on trailer battery power or on 110 when parked in the driveway, but works when I am plugged into my truck ? Fuse blew some time back and I replaced it and since then it has not worked except when plugged into the truck.

Any suggestions ?
jvieira is offline   Reply With Quote